34 year old diabetic Mom of 3 seeks to save her life.

Options
Hello all!

I’m Kimberly, a 34 year old Mom to 2 teenagers and a 4 year old. Raised in Florida and transplanted to California almost 5 years ago.

I’ve struggled with weight my entire life. I’m 5’9 and once tipped the scales at 314 now 253 and desperately seeking “One-derland.”

My support system is less small in number and less than enthusiastic so I’ve found myself here. Hoping for some kindred spirits and a swift kick in my overly ample rear!

Replies

• sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimberly! I'm a mama too and have struggled with my weight my whole life. Would love to stay connected with you on your journey! <3 I'm currently following a ketogenic diet which is great for diabetics - if you're interested in looking into it.
  • MrsBliss83
    MrsBliss83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding me! I would love more info on that, if you wouldn’t mind a little overview for me?
  • Metrocat07
    Metrocat07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You're still young.
  • banana8200
    banana8200 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MrsBliss83 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I’m Kimberly, a 34 year old Mom to 2 teenagers and a 4 year old. Raised in Florida and transplanted to California almost 5 years ago.

I’ve struggled with weight my entire life. I’m 5’9 and once tipped the scales at 314 now 253 and desperately seeking “One-derland.”

My support system is less small in number and less than enthusiastic so I’ve found myself here. Hoping for some kindred spirits and a swift kick in my overly ample rear!

Hey Kimberly,

I was one month shy of my 24th birthday when I was diagnosed tipping the scale at 500lbs also 5’9 I’ve lost over 200lbs and my diabetes is controlled at a A1C of 4.1 no meds just with diet and exercise

Not an expert but what helped me was watching my carb intake because that’s what your body converts to glucose 30-40g of carbs per meal

Don’t drink your calories.. so I stopped drinking soda and juice

And exercise even if it’s just 30min walk after you eat can lower your level of glucose.
  • MrsBliss83
    Options
    Thanks so much hun, I appreciate it! My A1C was once 11.3, last time it was 6.9 but I’ve definitely slacked off on controlling it.

I’m trying to be very strict on my carbs because my glucose is pretty volatile right now.

Thanks for adding me, I’d love to motivate each other. I have a feeling I could learn a lot from you!
  • banana8200
    banana8200 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah when I first found out those were about my numbers.. like I said I’m not an expert but I’ll help how ever I can
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimberly! I'm a type 2, diagnosed last year with A1c of 11, now 4.7 and down 113 lbs. MFP is a great tool for diabetics! If you haven't, I suggest setting your diary to show fiber ( I replaced the sugar entry with fiber) so you can easily calculate net carbs.

My thing is eating to the meter - I test frequently after new foods until I learn how they affect my glucose - and then staying within my tolerances. There have been some surprises! For example I can eat lots of potatoes, but even a tiny amount of rice spikes me. This is very different for different people, so testing helps. The other technique I use is exercising after meals, particularly if my levels are up. Fifteen minutes of stationary bike will drop me from high to low normal levels. If I'm not near my bike, bodyweight squats have the same effect, and you can do them anywhere.

Good for you taking action to improve your health! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend. There is also a type 2 support sub forum on MFP.
  • stephanierae07
    stephanierae07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me! I’m down 18lbs since the end of October ‘17 and I have 17 more to my goal we got this!!!!!
  • MrsBliss83
    Options
    Hi Kimberly! I'm a type 2, diagnosed last year with A1c of 11, now 4.7 and down 113 lbs. MFP is a great tool for diabetics! If you haven't, I suggest setting your diary to show fiber ( I replaced the sugar entry with fiber) so you can easily calculate net carbs.

My thing is eating to the meter - I test frequently after new foods until I learn how they affect my glucose - and then staying within my tolerances. There have been some surprises! For example I can eat lots of potatoes, but even a tiny amount of rice spikes me. This is very different for different people, so testing helps. The other technique I use is exercising after meals, particularly if my levels are up. Fifteen minutes of stationary bike will drop me from high to low normal levels. If I'm not near my bike, bodyweight squats have the same effect, and you can do them anywhere.

Good for you taking action to improve your health! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend. There is also a type 2 support sub forum on MFP.

Thank you so much!! I’m new to this, I THINK I sent you a friends request. Lol I appreciate the insight and support!
  • verna73
    verna73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a mom of 2 and a grandma of 1. In July of last year I was diagnosed with type 2, just the year before I was fine. I've managed to lose 10 by last October but with the holidays I've been struggling. My husband is a dear and is doing this with me. We've changed our eating and stopped going out as much. I even upped my 5k's to 2 a month (my daughter and I walk). Any one have any suggestions as I go back next month for more blood tests and to meet with my doctor. I am trying to do this without drugs so I am currently not taking any diabetes medicines.
  • AndreaRM0917
    AndreaRM0917 Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new to diabetes as of last month. I am still devistated by the news but, I am learning to get my life back. When I first found out I had diabetes in December my A1C was at 13! Let's just say it scared me into changing my life around. I want/need to lose weight and control my A1C levels so it goes back to normal again too. So, I am scared about this journey but, happy I am finally tackling it. Those that have their A1C levels down to normal are so inspiring!!! Those of us that haven't yet your not alone and I understand the worry. I am doing all I can to not let this diabetes win and lose weight to finally look good again. I have honestly missed how well I looked in my 20's! Here's to us all getting our lives back!! Good luck everyone!!!
  • MrsBliss83
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new to diabetes as of last month. I am still devistated by the news but, I am learning to get my life back. When I first found out I had diabetes in December my A1C was at 13! Let's just say it scared me into changing my life around. I want/need to lose weight and control my A1C levels so it goes back to normal again too. So, I am scared about this journey but, happy I am finally tackling it. Those that have their A1C levels down to normal are so inspiring!!! Those of us that haven't yet your not alone and I understand the worry. I am doing all I can to not let this diabetes win and lose weight to finally look good again. I have honestly missed how well I looked in my 20's! Here's to us all getting our lives back!! Good luck everyone!!!

Feel free to add me! If you have a fitbit we can link up there, too!
  • MrsBliss83
    Options
    verna73 wrote: »
    Hi I'm a mom of 2 and a grandma of 1. In July of last year I was diagnosed with type 2, just the year before I was fine. I've managed to lose 10 by last October but with the holidays I've been struggling. My husband is a dear and is doing this with me. We've changed our eating and stopped going out as much. I even upped my 5k's to 2 a month (my daughter and I walk). Any one have any suggestions as I go back next month for more blood tests and to meet with my doctor. I am trying to do this without drugs so I am currently not taking any diabetes medicines.

Feel free to add me! If you have a fitbit we can link up there, too!
  • CourtneyI43
    CourtneyI43 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 37 and recently diagnosed. Can I add you for support?
  • verna73
    verna73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I'd be honored
  • Jenniferakajacel311
    Jenniferakajacel311 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'd be glad to join you as friends, too. I'm pre-diabetic as I had gestational diabetes in two of my three pregnancies. Trying to lose 80 lbs to be healthy. I'm not sure how to add friends but I'm open to it.
  • shmeeeeebay
    shmeeeeebay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please check out the book THE END OF DIABETES by Joel Fuhrman MD, the same author of EAT TO LIVE and THE END OF DIETING, among others. Maybe you saw him on public television? :)
  • MrsBliss83
    Options
    Please forgive my late responses, I’m still figuring out this app and I didnt realize there were more comments.

Thank you all for the support! I know we will all find great success supporting each other to our goals!
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Within the first week of MFP I quit my Glipizide. Might cut back on Metformin soon. I'm going for habits this time!
  • TwinkiesMomma
    TwinkiesMomma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get additional support too. I am a mom of 10 year twin girls and have been diabetic for about 2 years. I am *so* over it. I need to get into gear and be around for just a little bit longer.