Does cardio twice a day help with losing weight faster?

Options
Hello friends! I want to lose 15 pounds and I’ve recently started eating clean, counting calories. Also started walking on treadmill and burning around 400 calories. I would like to find out if walking on the treadmill twice (morning and evening) while eating enough would help in losing the weight faster? I’d like to do this just for 2-3 weeks and get back to walking just once a day. I’m new to working out and hence have no idea about the right strength training and all. Once I lose some weight (may be around 7-8 pounds), I might start watching videos and incorporate strength training. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from how many calories you eat compared to how many calories your body needs every day. If you do cardio twice per day, but overeat, you won't lose weight. Exercise can give you a bigger deficit or can allow you to eat a little bit more. Exercise is not causing the weight loss.
  • myfitnesspal04122014
    Options
    Thank you for the prompt response, @usmcmp! Of course overeating leads to weight gain. What I meant was walking twice while still paying attention to calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The main issue is if you're doing all this exercise without eating those calories back (as MFP is set to do), you'll likely burn out and lose muscle mass.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the prompt response, @usmcmp! Of course overeating leads to weight gain. What I meant was walking twice while still paying attention to calories.

I understand your question. Are you going to eat back all your exercise calories? If you are it doesn't make a difference how much you did other than you get to eat more. If you aren't you would lose weight faster and with faster weight loss comes larger amounts of muscle loss. Losing muscle ends up causing long term problems like lower calorie needs at maintenance and having to lose more weight than you anticipated.