Peanut butter addiction?

I know it sounds funny but it’s actually becoming quite a problem for me.
A while ago I discovered a love for peanut butter and started eating it almost every day; with fruit, sandwiches, the lot. Now I just eat it out the jar with a spoon. I think it’s contributed a lot to my recent regaining of weight, and if I go a day without it I find myself craving it badly. Any ways to cut back without completely cutting it out??

Replies

• AnneLSam
    AnneLSam Posts: 19 Member
    I too love peanut butter .... creamy Jif. I try to keep it put away since I have kids and I cannot not have it in the house. I feel your pain!
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    I loooove peanut butter and I blame bf for introducing it to me ( tall,skinny guy that can eat everything) . I know how easily you can overeat on it but it can be a part of your everyday diet as long as you measure it.

Last night I had dairy free Ben &Jerrys PB and cookies ice cream,absolutely lush but I made room for it with my exercise calories .
    There's also PB2 not quite the same thing but I quite like it.

I have no intention on stopping my favourite foods just make sure it fits in your calorie goal and prelog your food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    A jar of peanut butter does not last long. But I'm not going to quit eating it. So I just don't buy it that often.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    What do you like about the peanut butter? Does it represent something mentally/emotionally or is it more physical? Do you eat other peanut flavored items or just peanut butter from a jar?

Look at your whole diet. Is the peanut butter providing you something like fats or other nutrients that you are missing from other foods? Maybe try increasing those type of foods and reduce the peanut butter. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4453/2

If it is mental- are you stressed out? Do you do things to manage your stress besides eat?

Buy a lower calorie version. Buy and use smaller amounts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I actually prefer peanuts to peanut butter, and other nuts to peanuts (and other nut butters to peanut butter). One way I enjoy nut butter is mixed in a little greek yogurt.

If it's too triggering/hard to moderate for now to have it at home, maybe try the powdered peanuts (there are lots of different options, PB2 is one, I enjoyed this Santa Cruz brand I found when looking for powdered peanuts). I think it tastes good in oatmeal or a smoothie or with greek yogurt, but it's lower cal and probably not nearly as hard to stop eating. (I would not reconstitute it and eat it plain or put it on a sandwich, however.)

Another option if you like them and find them not as hard to stop eating is just peanuts.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    I have a tendency to go overboard with popcorn and potato chips. The latter I just don't keep in the house and only buy small single serving baked style when I go to Subway or something like that. When my husband wants chips he buys kinds that I don't like, or goes single serving. Popcorn I cycled through a bunch of different options and finally settled on pre-popped kettle corn. I don't inhale it like I did microwave or white cheddar, but I still get to enjoy popcorn from time to time. You don't have to totally give up peanut butter, but don't try and rely on "willpower" either. At least half of willpower is making it as easy as possible for you to do (or not do) whatever it is you're trying to do.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I don't buy peanut butter anymore. I love the stuff, but I just can't handle how high-calorie it is. It derails my progress.

I buy PB2 (45cals for 2 tbsp!) instead and it's actually very tasty if you take a bit more effort to prepare it.

I add a pinch of cinnamon to my PB2 powder, then mix it with vanilla cashew/almond milk and a splash of caramel sugar-free syrup. You could eat it with a spoon as a dessert! But I enjoy dipping apple slices into it or eating it on sandwiches or bagels.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    can you try and only eat PB prior to your workouts? I have a spoonful before my run and swims. give energy and little fullness.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    OP, as others have suggested, I would also like to recommend trying peanut butter powder: PB2, PBFit, or something like that. (Like others, I also like to add things like cinnamon to it--yum!) I took a big jar of peanut butter powder with me when I lived in Japan most recently (as their peanut butter is way too sugary for my taste, and expensive!) and lost quite a bit of weight without really trying. With that in mind, peanut butter was quite possibly a saboteur for me as well. Definitely check out the powdered version!
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    crb426 wrote: »
    addiction does not mean what you seem to think it does :/

Actually, it seems that Merriam-Webster agrees with OP:

"Definition of addiction
    1 : the quality or state of being addicted - addiction to reading
    2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (such as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

Examples of addiction in a Sentence
    He has a drug addiction.
    His life has been ruined by heroin addiction.
    He devotes his summers to his surfing addiction.

Because words can have multiple variations of meaning.

Sorry, I know that's not the point of the original post, but I did feel the need to defend since we were getting a bit snarky about it.

I was about to say the same thing! Seems some folks need to do what I had to do...use the dictionary. :wink: