Home body weight exercises or gym weight training?

Options
2»

Replies

• MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Not sure why you think you need to go "hard and heavy" or do HIIT on a rower to get a good cardio workout.

Reason one is to spend less time for the calorie burn. By the time I get to the gym and do whatever else I might be doing that day, I don't want to be spending a full hour on cardio. Reason two is that rowing also acts as a supplemental full-body strength exercise, and the harder you push on the stroke the more resistance you get.

But again, my thoughts of doing 30/10 intervals for 20 to 30 minutes were pushed waaayyy into the future yesterday when I kicked my own butt with 3 minutes of rowing and at least 4 breaks (wasn't going for intervals. Was just intending to get my feet wet with about 20 minutes of mild effort.)

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Not sure why you think you need to go "hard and heavy" or do HIIT on a rower to get a good cardio workout.

Reason one is to spend less time for the calorie burn. By the time I get to the gym and do whatever else I might be doing that day, I don't want to be spending a full hour on cardio. Reason two is that rowing also acts as a supplemental full-body strength exercise, and the harder you push on the stroke the more resistance you get.

But again, my thoughts of doing 30/10 intervals for 20 to 30 minutes were pushed waaayyy into the future yesterday when I kicked my own butt with 3 minutes of rowing and at least 4 breaks (wasn't going for intervals. Was just intending to get my feet wet with about 20 minutes of mild effort.)

Your best time to $ is by going at a cadence that you can maintain for 20-40 minutes. As illustrated above, doing HIIT is going to leave you gassed/smoked for a very small caloric burn. Going at a sustainable pace for 20+ minutes will burn more calories and while it should leave you feeling slightly out of breath, it should also leave you feeling more energized the rest of the day.

The test of a good workout isn't that it leaves you feeling like you got run over by a truck for 3 days, but that 6 weeks/months later you're still going and you can chart progression.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think this is really a lifestyle question. The gym is probably best place to gain muscle but I wouldn't discount how good you could feel by working out with bodyweight type exercises at home (see book "You Are Your Own Gym" -Mark Lauren). Looks like you have little kids in the house and I found I could serve two purposes by taking kids to the nearest playground- they could play while I did chinups, pushups and other bodyweight exercises while they played, climbed, etc. This would culminate in some freeze tag (I'm usually "it) to get some good cardio for 20 minutes. You'll never regret the time you spend with little kids at the playground so who cares if the gains aren't optimal. This also works in the backyard or just about anywhere outside you can go with kids. I also had a double jogging stroller so kids could ride bike while I jogged to and from the playground. The fresh air and sunshine is always good even if chilly.
  • joeydahatt
    joeydahatt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The gym is the best place to gain muscle, even just using dumbbells only. If the gym is out of the question, good quality resistance bands in various ratings can help replicate many weight and machine exercises at home.

As for the benefit of HIIT vs steady state cardio they both have their place. Steady state cardio (jogging, etc.) is aerobic, meaning it uses oxygen and fat as fuel. It also conditions the heart and lungs better than HIIT because the left ventricle has the opportunity to fill up before the right ventricle empties making the heart stronger. HIIT is anaerobic, using stored carbohydrates as fuel. This allows strength and explosiveness to increase but isn't as beneficial to the heart and lungs as steady state. It's also a better fat burner due to the longer period of increased metabolism after exercising, even though it doesn't use stored fat as fuel like steady state does. But it increases the chance of injury. One HIIT session per week and the rest steady state should allow you to reap the benefits of both.

It is absolutely possible to gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time or maintain muscle mass while losing fat but it's not easy. Using techniques like intermittent fasting and cycling caloric intake make it possible. If you raise your calorie (and carb) intake on weight training days 20% over TDEE and lower it 20% below TDEE on rest (cardio) days you can recomp and in fact gain muscle while losing fat. But your diet and training have to be on point. You're already using myfitnesspal to dial in your diet, so you're half way there.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight with MFP, I got Jillian's 30 Day Shred, then Ripped in 30. I also tried some of The Firm workouts and Denise Austin. All started with 3lb hand weights. I eventually increased to 7.5lb dumbbells. I also did sets of push-ups and pull-ups at home. Then I learned free weights. You can do a lot with body weight and dumbbells at home.