Cleaning house

Options
2»

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Normal standard household chores Nope not counting those. I do count it is I have one of those massive once every year clean outs of the garage for instance, or when I clear out my sewing space That is hard work and more like moving in and out of (part of) the house
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    tlarue2016 wrote: »
    I don't count it. Only log purposeful exercise.

I hate to exercise... I was looking for all I could get LOL!

Food for thought:
    • Maybe then your selected rate of loss is too aggressive?
    • Maybe your activity level is set too low?
    • Maybe sometimes you should do things (exercise) you don't actually enjoy but tolerate for the health benefits (and extra food!) they give you?

Building more general activity into your lifestyle is a painless, time efficient and sustainable way to boost your calorie expenditure though. Those so called "naturally slim" people do tend to move about under their own power an awful lot more than average......
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you didnt lose weight before cleaning house, dont count it as exercise :/

always makes me wonder just how dirty someones house IS when they ask this question lol
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great discussion, always wondered the same thing!
  • Theham2016
    Theham2016 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

always makes me wonder just how dirty someones house IS when they ask this question lol

Actually I clean a lot! My house is very clean and that's why I wondered about it.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I don't count cleaning as exercise. I'm a bit OCD about my house, but always have been. I cleaned a lot before my weight loss and clean a lot after.....I see it as part of my normal daily activity, and don't count it as exercise.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options

Actually I clean a lot! My house is very clean and that's why I wondered about it.

For example ... what might you do for cleaning in an evening after work?

Personally, after a day of work, I might put in maybe 30 minutes of housework, and if there's an easy way to do something ... I'm there! The minute that shower stuff (you spray onto your shower walls, leave for 15 minutes, then rinse off) came onto the market, I bought it. No more scrubbing showers for me! My floor washer is one of those things that has a water bottle attached to the mop handle. No more hauling buckets of water around the place and wringing out mops. And I won't be without a dishwasher now!

These thing have reduced my housework time immensely so that I can focus on other things ... like walking or cycling. :)
  • Theham2016
    Theham2016 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok... I won't count house cleaning!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Does cleaning house count as exercise? If so how do you gauge it?

I'd only log something like that as additional activity/exercise if it was really out of the ordinary. Regular old cleaning is going to fall in line with your activity level even if you select sedentary...sedentary is still going to account for the equivalent of about 5,000 steps in a day.

As an example, there are certain weekly things I do in my yard...I don't really count those as any kind of additional activity...but I also have an acre of property and there are certainly times when I will spend the better part of a day working on the property...that would be activity outside of my normal activity.
  • 69HealthyMe
    69HealthyMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don’t log it as exercise.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    I figure stuff like cleaning house, or walking back and forth to the photocopier at work, or walking the aisles of the grocery store, or dashing across the street to the post office to mail something, etc. etc. are all "bonus burns".

In other words, if I happen to miscalculate a food I eat and it was really 175 calories instead of 150 ... well, maybe those things above will cover it. :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    No, cleaning is a normal lifestyle activity and is included under your NEAT

hah. i think something may be explained here about my own life

*definitely does NOT clean house as part of a 'normal lifestyle'*

op, i wouldn't count is as exercise either. but you're definitely moving, and there's definitely some level of value to be gotten from that. it's just like the pennies that pile up in a jar though; worth something over the long term but not worth including in your week-to-week plans for your life.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I count it of it'san unusual type or amount and I don't have my stepcounter on me. Like deep cleaning, ot tonight's carpet cleaning, sompky because it's way more physical work than I'd normally do.