Convince me about keto

Options
2»

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Keto is just a new spin off of Atkins. It definitely works I have done it a couple times more as a cleanse for a few weeks to jump start things. Last time I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. It is very restrictive so make sure you shop and meal prep for like a week at a time. There isn't a perfect diet for everyone so I would suggest try it for a couple weeks and see how you feel and if it could become a lifestyle no a diet. Best of luck!

Medical studies of the ketogenic diet treating epilepsy began in the 1920's.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049574

Dr Atkins himself was *born* in 1930.

I was simply stating that Atkins was the first well known diet that puts your body into Ketosis. The majority of people know what Atkins is just by seeing products on the shelves. There are some people who have a medical or dietary background that know about Ketosis but the general public just knows Atkins. I am stating that calling it Keto and saying its a new diet is a sales ploy. I was jokingly calling you a troll because instead of giving advise or answering the original question you turned it into " well actually ".

I think that people should decide if they are wanting to just diet or a lifestyle change. A diet will give you quick short term results. A lifestyle change will give you long term results but typically at a slower rate. Depending on where you live and how you are raised certain diets such as Keto/Atkins will be hard to make a lifestyle. Avoiding some foods you are raised on or that are staples in your diet can be very hard to limit.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I read the OP as kind of a passive aggressive attempt to start a debate, like "Yeah, sure, go ahead and show me that this isn't a load of crap" lol. But they haven't come back so I guess that might not be the case.

I will admit that I still wonder if keto is really healthy long term. I see so much long term evidence for high fiber/plant based diets. But I can acknowledge that growing up in the 70s and 80s low fat craze probably still has a voice whispering in my ear against high fat! Regardless, it doesn't affect me as I do much better on a moderate carb diet, and if some other people reach their goals better doing keto I'm happy for them and wish them good health as well.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I read the OP as kind of a passive aggressive attempt to start a debate, like "Yeah, sure, go ahead and show me that this isn't a load of crap" lol. But they haven't come back so I guess that might not be the case.

I will admit that I still wonder if keto is really healthy long term. I see so much long term evidence for high fiber/plant based diets. But I can acknowledge that growing up in the 70s and 80s low fat craze probably still has a voice whispering in my ear against high fat! Regardless, it doesn't affect me as I do much better on a moderate carb diet, and if some other people reach their goals better doing keto I'm happy for them and wish them good health as well.

I have done all the low carb diets.. all of them.... the only thing that made my body medically well was the low fat/plant based diet.... and use the CICO with it... you just got to burn more calories than you take in...if your body can handle all that fat... try it...
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Keto is just a new spin off of Atkins. It definitely works I have done it a couple times more as a cleanse for a few weeks to jump start things. Last time I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. It is very restrictive so make sure you shop and meal prep for like a week at a time. There isn't a perfect diet for everyone so I would suggest try it for a couple weeks and see how you feel and if it could become a lifestyle no a diet. Best of luck!

Medical studies of the ketogenic diet treating epilepsy began in the 1920's.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049574

Dr Atkins himself was *born* in 1930.

Sure. But a ketogenic diet as a way to promote weight loss didn't hit mainstream dieters until recently. The Atkins diet has been around since the 1970s.

No one is not claiming that Dr. Atkins didn't borrow from the science. Not even Dr. Atkins himself, when he was alive and at the helm. In fact, a less restrictive version of the ketogenic diet for epileptics who are still controlled on it is called the Modified Atkins Diet (MAD). What he did, though, is offer it up as a plan for mass dieting consumption well before this "keto" zealotry hit its stride.

What I find annoying is how many "keto" dieters slag on Atkins when they are the same thing initially. And the seeming lack of emphasizing that calories still matter, as Dr. Atkins did? Ugh. Just, ugh. :/
  • Jennilaw_77
    Jennilaw_77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto three weeks now. This is not a diet this is a life change. It is hard while your body adjusts and I suggest research a lot. If you decide to go keto you should realize the cooking, measuring and all involved. Keep it simple at first. If you don't feel well then drink Powerade zero and broth . I hope I have helped in some way...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Actually, ketogenic has been around a lot longer than the Atkins diet. Atkins is actually a spin off of Keto. It started out to help control seizures in epileptic children. Then it was discovered to have additional benefits of more alertness, more energy.

I never understand the phrase "more restrictive." I probably eat more and better than I had before. I don't feel like I'm restricted. Do I wish I could eat donuts, cakes, ice cream? Sure, sometimes. But then if I do, there goes my blood glucose. So no, I don't miss those types of foods. I'm full and happy, and losing weight. Without exercising. Not that I don't want to exercise. Just right now, I can't. Hopefully soon!

Basically all but eliminating an entire macro-nutrient is the very definition of restrictive.

Doughnuts, cakes, and ice cream get as many if not more calories from fat than from carbohydrates...so I never can figure out why these things seem to be the keto followers go to example for carbohydrates.

There are all kinds of nutritious sources of carbohydrates that one would have to avoid on a keto diet...I hardly ever eat doughnuts or cake or ice cream...but I do eat lentils and legumes and fruits and veg and potatoes and other root vegetables and grains with regularity...those are some of my favorite foods and while not a vegan or vegetarian, I do eat plant based quite a bit...couldn't do that on keto 'cuz restrictive...
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I bought the book (Atkins) and remember thinking this is great, I can eat all the bacon and cheese I want. Ummm not so much. Fast forward many years and it's Keto. I do like the idea of it and I will do it for a few weeks and cycle it through out the year, but for me it is not something I can maintain long term. One of my goals is to eat whole healthy foods and there are selections don't get me wrong, but not enough for me. And it can get expensive (I think the price of Avocados has tripled in the last year) add to that the cost of buying farm raised meats, eggs, etc. Again I will still locally source my meats, eggs, etc when i can, but don't eat them every day as I was doing Keto. I guess my point is, try it, see how it goes, does it agree with you, your lifestyle and your bank account :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Some people truly find it easier to stay in a caloric deficit with higher fat and protein and limited carbs. Most people find it torturous, but cutting out a food group works well to create a deficit so it appears to be a magic diet bullet and they stick with it until they reach their goal. This is why most people do keto for a few months until they lose weight, then eat the same stuff in the same quantities but add bread so they gain it back.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have tried Keto and it's not for me; with that being said I know people who've had great success with it. My husband can drop weight quickly this way and after a few weeks adjustment he says that he no longer feels as hungry as before (I suppose it's the stabilizing of blood sugars). I don't like Keto for several reasons. First I don't like following any "diets" that restrict any food groups and to stay in true ketosis you have to eat a very low carb diet. Also, I get bored with the variety of foods. I know there are all kinds of Keto recipes out there but they seem to use a lot of the same ingredients; just a variance of them.

I don't necessarily agree that Keto is bad for everyone, but some people, yes! People with epilepsy and diabetics can benefit vastly from following this lifestyle. However, if you have kidney problems then you should not adhere to this way of eating.

Every diet out there has data that both supports it's claims as well as debunks it. In the end, I say do whatever is best and healthiest for you!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,456 Member
    Options
    Keto would not work for me personally as I get most satiety, and satisfaction out of carbs such as bread, pasta, rice (I currently have 5 types of rice), potatoes, couscous, bulgur, etc. If I were to eat more protein, and especially fat I would be constantly hungry, and fall asleep after lunch. That's also the reason I eat my main meal in the evening and mostly easily digested carbs for lunch: the digestive after dinner dip ;)

Also, keto would be far too expensive for me. I can afford to have a small (80-100gr) portion of fish or meat on most days, but it's not high quality produce. Also, nuts, good quality oils, avocados and lots of other produce is ridiculously expensive here while I can live easily of £80-100/month on my diet mostly consisting of fresh produce and hardly any ready-made things. I make my own pasta sauces, teriyaki marinade, salt-herb mixes, rubs for meat should I ever feel like doing it again, etc.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Some people truly find it easier to stay in a caloric deficit with higher fat and protein and limited carbs. Most people find it torturous, but cutting out a food group works well to create a deficit so it appears to be a magic diet bullet and they stick with it until they reach their goal. This is why most people do keto for a few months until they lose weight, then eat the same stuff in the same quantities but add bread so they gain it back.

This happens on every dang diet there is. And even just straight moderation. You go back to eating too much like you did before, you're going to end up in the place you started from.

I'm not going to try to sell anyone on keto. It worked well for me. Because it restricts all the culprits with which I overstuffed my face daily. It taught me self-control. But like any other eating plan, consistency and calorie deficit are required. Do your research. Reddit Keto's FAQ is the perfect place to start. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    Join a low-carb group. There's a keto and a general low-carb group (with a lot of active keto-folk there).

I lost all my weight doing keto over 1.5 years. About 100lb. Afterward, I did a little recomp due to terrible skinny-fatness, but eventually a hidden bomb in my genes woke up and I developed Sjogren's (dry body syndrome with joint pain and lovely chronic fatigue) so I had to get off keto since it made me keep off too much water. So over the next (almost) 2 years I regained some water weight still low-carb (75-120g) and I gained a little bit of muscle. So I'm about 12lb heavier than my goal weight, but I'm the same size and measurements. I'm going to keep trying to get back down to 155 at least (I'm just under 5'10") because I'm a masochist/perfectionist or something, :lol: but I'm generally pretty damn happy that I've maintained like you're supposed to and kept off 88lb. Because I didn't go back to eating myself to death like I was before. I eat cookies and drink and have a burger and fries occasionally, sure. But overall I watch and make sure I don't eat more than I'm going to burn.

Consistency, Persistence, Time.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Keto hasn't been about cutting out all my carbs as some mentioned here. I still eat carbs, but sugary things and processed junk food have way too many to be beneficial. The only real restriction is choosing where to get those carbs. For me, just modifying diet was never enough. I love veggies, but if I have an option of veggies vs a baked potato, the potato always wins, hands down. Now that I have fewer carbs available to me, I am more selective in my choices. I can still have a baked potato if I want it, but it's going to take all my carbs for the rest of the day...and I'd prefer to have some croutons on my salad lol.

That plus the allowance of fat rich dressings and butter makes for some delicious meals that keep me full much longer than all the times I've dieted in the past. I'm not doing this to lose weight, that's a bonus. I'm doing it because I'm unhealthy and I need to treat my body right. I've been abusing it for many years and I'm starting to see the impact when I'm barely 30 years old. I find it to be doable long term. In fact, after a while you begin to lose your addiction to all that sugar and you don't even want it anymore.
  • miltbrophy2463
    miltbrophy2463 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have experienced both the low fat diet of the 70s & 80s which raised all blood markers for bad health in me and put me at risk of disease. I have also been Keto for 2 years and finally have resolved my blood issues. I will say that Keto or LCHF is not for everyone the choice is yours to make. I will leave with a few examples of my blood numbers: Genetic hyperlipidemia

Low Fat- A1C 5.8, total cholesterol 580, triglycerides over 2000.

Keto- A1C 4.7, total cholesterol 174,
    triglycerides 800.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to be convinced of anything. Do your own research and make your own decision.
  • kiracookie
    kiracookie Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I tried keto and lost 17lb which was great but the high fat just made me feel gross constantly and never satisfied my hunger, now I do low carb with high protein and I feel great pretty much all the time and I’m still losing at the same rate as keto.
    Low carb does wonders for controlling my impulses were food is concerned so it fits me well.