Looking for some help/guide on WHY I am NOT seeing Results!!!

Options
Hello Everyone!
I am so low on motivation right now. So its not easy for me to lose weight in general and I have never been in the right weight range. I am 5'2 and weight 160lbs currently. My goal weight is 130lbs but want to lose 10 pds by March2018
I recently started to log. Weekends I don't get to with all that is going with my twins and house etc. I workout 5/6 days a week - a mix of Beachboday 21dFx, Bootcamp/hip hop/body works and abs class at gym, Surya Namaskars (Sun salutations).
Its very demotivating that I don't see any results. I was 157lbs in December but went on a cruise for 8 days (worked out 5days out of 8) and also enjoyed the food but in moderation and saw the weight jump up
I am so low at this point. Still pushing myself but STRUGGLING will I EVER reach my goal? will I ever ditch size 12 and wear size 6 or lower (P.s: I LOVE clothes)
Its a struggle to find time for workout with kids and work and home but I am scrambling and then to see no results is demotivating
I have started to eat mindfully but obviously big scope for correction THUS have opened my diary for more suggestions
***P.S: Please no Snarky/mean comments - I am looking to get Uplifted and hope***
-Also I am not looking for any extreme diets like Keto or surviving on 1200 Cals as that cannot be sustained in the long run by me --

Thanks in Advance Peeps

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You're probably not seeing the results you want because you're eating too much on the weekends. If you have a deficit during the week but eat over goal on the weekend, you will at best maintain. To actually lose the weight, you have to eat less. I'm a mom and I know that it's easy to blame being busy and the kids for not being able to do it, but it is possible and this site makes it much easier! You can do it! Make it a game for yourself. Treat yourself with non-food items when you make it through seven days of logging successfully! It feels so good to succeed. Go for it!!!!!!
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your food diary for the past few days (looks like some delicious food on there, btw... now I want Indian food!) and I am wondering if all the entries are accurate, esp. for the Indian food. I can't tell - are those pre-portioned meals that you have exact nutrition info for, direct from the source of the food (i.e. restaurant, frozen dinner box)? Or are you pulling existing entries that you think are close? If it's the latter, there might be more variance in the calories than one would expect. Also, I saw one entry was for 1g of walnuts. That's not many walnuts... is that all that you put in that particular breakfast? (I know it's possible this is an accurate amount of what you put in, but only 1g of *most foods* stands out as a possible error.) These are just some suggestions for where to troubleshoot in re: your caloric intake. Hope you see some losses soon! Hang in there! You seem to have a good attitude about the weight loss process!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you don't log at the weekends its likely you could be undoing all your calorie deficit during the week for one thing.
    Also as others have said, keep an eye on what entries you pick when you log your food. Little calorie errors will all add up and means you could be eating more than you think.

All the best, you are here and if you put your mind to it and a bit of effort you will lose those pounds.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Keep track of what you eat for a week or two then depending on what happens with your weight try to eat smaller portions or make changes in what you eat. it is a matter of trial and error as foods and how they are prepared will affect you differently than anyone else. Remember too that restaurant foods have lots of salt or sugar and they cause you to retain water. Give it more time.

Enjoy time with your kids too
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    As an example when I was overweight I was great at eating well during the week, granted this was before MFP and I have no idea what calories I was eating but looking back now I know my weekend eating wiped out any deficit I had created. Even yet I have to be mindful about how much I eat over the weekends even in maintenance, so I bank calories from during the week to allow for that.
  • NatalieHarr1993
    NatalieHarr1993 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was logging inaccurately on MFP on the desktop version! I found when I downloaded the app on my phone I could then use the barcode scanner to accurately measure my food / calorie intake. As advised above - a food scale will help so much. Best of Luck & keep up the good work!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was logging inaccurately on MFP on the desktop version! I found when I downloaded the app on my phone I could then use the barcode scanner to accurately measure my food / calorie intake. As advised above - a food scale will help so much. Best of Luck & keep up the good work!

You still need to be wary of the barcode scanner too, it can still link to inaccurate entries, so it's best to check against either the label for packaged goods or the USDA database for fresh produce the first time you scan something.
  • monicajogi80
    monicajogi80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks EVERYONE for such awesome suggestions and inputs. As for food - its 99.9% home cooked so I am at a loss of how to track so lets say I made a curry - do I take the amount I need to eat and put it on t he food scale? also if I get few nuts and seeds in my oatmeal - how to measure/weigh that? Any suggestions on which is a good food scale to invest in? Its all very overwhelming
    I will start logging weekends too. I do know that I don't hog or anything but might be easily eating more calories.
    As for Fruits - do I get that from MFP DB or weight those as well?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    thanks EVERYONE for such awesome suggestions and inputs. As for food - its 99.9% home cooked so I am at a loss of how to track so lets say I made a curry - do I take the amount I need to eat and put it on t he food scale? also if I get few nuts and seeds in my oatmeal - how to measure/weigh that? Any suggestions on which is a good food scale to invest in? Its all very overwhelming
    I will start logging weekends too. I do know that I don't hog or anything but might be easily eating more calories.
    As for Fruits - do I get that from MFP DB or weight those as well?

For home cooked foods, most people use the recipe builder. Add all the ingredients into the recipe, set the serving size as 100 grams. Cook it up, weigh the serving you scooped. Say it's 340 grams. Add 3.4 servings of the recipe into your food diary.

Your oatmeal, I don't know? You don't make it? If you are adding the nuts/seeds, weigh them before you put them in your oatmeal. I weigh my uncooked oatmeal (40 grams), weigh the fruit I'm adding (70 grams), weigh the almond milk (120 grams), and then cook it.

This is the scale I have. But any digital scale with a tare button will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-157RR-Glass-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B0051ZOJFQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516376053&sr=8-4&keywords=escali+digital+scale

Weigh your fruit. An apple can vary wildly in size. What exactly is a "medium" apple? Who knows?!? But 236 grams of apple? Easy.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    For things that mix well: curry, stew etc. I weigh out the raw ingredients and load that into the recipe builder. When I'm done cooking I weight the total amount in grams (say 1000 grams for all of it) and then make the number of servings in the recipes equal to that total weight so 1000 grams, then you can weigh out how many grams you want to eat and make it that number of servings in your diary.

So if I make japanese curry which I do often and the whole pot is 1000 grams, I make that the number of servings for my recipe and then I want to eat say 250 grams so I log it as 250 servings. If that all makes sense.

That works for a lot of things actually. Just weigh the RAW ingredients and log them based on the USDA entries and then weigh the total cooked weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Use the recipe builder if you cook your own meals. Over time your meals will be there already. It gets easier as you build/ add to your food entries.
    Weigh everything even fruits and veg.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    As @RunRutheeRun says create the recipe in the recipe builder (the old version is easier to use than the new one IMO).

Weigh everything where possible at least until you get a better idea of what a portion size is. I no longer weigh everything religiously, now that I have a good grasp of the weight of most of my regular foods I can eyeball them pretty well.

Any digital scale with a TARE function should be suitable.
  • monicajogi80
    monicajogi80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wow much thanks!!!! I had no idea about the recipe builder. I will start that ASAP. I think that will be of BIG HELP and EYE opener!!! Same thing for Rice I guess? So if I make rice at home, I should add RAW rice in recipe builder and then weigh the "cooked rice" for servings in gms - correct!! THANKS!!!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    wow much thanks!!!! I had no idea about the recipe builder. I will start that ASAP. I think that will be of BIG HELP and EYE opener!!! Same thing for Rice I guess? So if I make rice at home, I should add RAW rice in recipe builder and then weigh the "cooked rice" for servings in gms - correct!! THANKS!!!!

If it's just literally rice rather than a special kind of recipe including rice, search for the brand or use the USDA entry. Better to look for a dry entry as the water content can alter the weight significantly.