Tracking Exercise - Got Discouraged

Options
So for the first time I was logging my exercise yesterday. I did about 15min of my "usual" workout that I've done since High School. It's 5 different type of weight/arm lift thingies with 3lb dumbells. Then I do lunges, uh.. butt lifts? lol I don't know the name and then sit ups. It's pretty rigorous for 15min. Oh, and I do some yoga stretches before and after. Since this is my own "mix match" of exercises I don't know how to track it. I chose the "weight lifting" option that came up and it said that I burned like 30 calories.

Wow. Talk about discouraging. I'm preeeeetty sure I burned more than that. Do you have any suggestions of how I should enter my exercising into the program?

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    So for the first time I was logging my exercise yesterday. I did about 15min of my "usual" workout that I've done since High School. It's 5 different type of weight/arm lift thingies with 3lb dumbells. Then I do lunges, uh.. butt lifts? lol I don't know the name and then sit ups. It's pretty rigorous for 15min. Oh, and I do some yoga stretches before and after. Since this is my own "mix match" of exercises I don't know how to track it. I chose the "weight lifting" option that came up and it said that I burned like 30 calories.

Wow. Talk about discouraging. I'm preeeeetty sure I burned more than that. Do you have any suggestions of how I should enter my exercising into the program?

The problem is you're using the weight option for "burning," which is essentially cardio. Do cardio to burn. Other exercises will strengthen, but they don't have the burn of a cardio exercise. Besides though, 15 minutes is not very long. You cannot expect a large burn out of 15 minutes. Running only burns 8 calories a minute for me. 2 or 3 calories a minute for what you did does not sound that off to me.
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    strength training doesn't tend to burn a whole lot of cals overall - but will make you stronger and better able to burn cals. If you really want to know what you are burning for any given day and any given acitivity you should consider a heart rate monitor. It is the best way to accurately gauge. CHIN UP - hugs!!
  • bereal75
    bereal75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count exercieses with my own body. The only exercises that are worth counting are the cardio exercises (jogging, cycling, rowing etc.).
    An activity like the mentioned above will burn between 700 and 900 calories an hour (with moderate effort). Doing such an exercise for a quarter of an hour will then burn around 175 - 225 calories.
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options

The problem is you're using the weight option for "burning," which is essentially cardio. Do cardio to burn. Other exercises will strengthen, but they don't have the burn of a cardio exercise. Besides though, 15 minutes is not very long. You cannot expect a large burn out of 15 minutes. Running only burns 8 calories a minute for me. 2 or 3 calories a minute for what you did does not sound that off to me.

Oh I see, I see. Fifteen min was all I could squeeze in before work yesterday, my workouts are generally longer than that. Jogging is what I mainly do (which I'm about to go do in a min). I've never been good with figuring out calories in and out and cardio vs strength LOL! This place is teaching me so much, thank you! :)
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33
    Options
    I've found that MyFitnessPal tends to either undercalculate or sometimes overcalculate the calories you've burned. Your best bet for finding how many calories you burn during a workout is a heart-rate monitor. A heart-rate monitor is the most accurate way of figuring heart-rate and calories burned. I would recommend the Polar ft4 (that's what I have and it's become my best-friend) and I've also heard good things about the BodyMedia Fit. Buying new, they are expensive, but I purchased my Polar ft4 from a friend used by her and she bought it used as well, and I paid only 50$, plus shipping. The BodyMedia Fit is a little more expensive, but I've heard great things about it and if I ever need a new HRM, I'd buy one.

If this isn't a good option for you, then just go with how you feel - so long as you're sweating and your heart rate is up, you'll be burning calories. Try switching it up, too. Your body might be used to the same routine - try a different workout. There are always online workout videos, too - Cassey Ho at blogilates.com has some great quick workout videos that get your heart rate up and focus on different muscle groups.

Hope all is well, x
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've found that MyFitnessPal tends to either undercalculate or sometimes overcalculate the calories you've burned. Your best bet for finding how many calories you burn during a workout is a heart-rate monitor. A heart-rate monitor is the most accurate way of figuring heart-rate and calories burned. I would recommend the Polar ft4 (that's what I have and it's become my best-friend) and I've also heard good things about the BodyMedia Fit. Buying new, they are expensive, but I purchased my Polar ft4 from a friend used by her and she bought it used as well, and I paid only 50$, plus shipping. The BodyMedia Fit is a little more expensive, but I've heard great things about it and if I ever need a new HRM, I'd buy one.

If this isn't a good option for you, then just go with how you feel - so long as you're sweating and your heart rate is up, you'll be burning calories. Try switching it up, too. Your body might be used to the same routine - try a different workout. There are always online workout videos, too - Cassey Ho at blogilates.com has some great quick workout videos that get your heart rate up and focus on different muscle groups.

Hope all is well, x

Thanks for the suggestion! I wonder if it'll work on me since I have MVP? My heart beats irregularly anyway. Last year I was jogging about 2mi a day and in a few months I lost a good amount of weight. Now that I'm watching my calories and picking my jogging back up, I'm sure I'll be fine. I know it works so I'm gonna go with my gut!