4 week long plateau

Options
What is the longest time u have been in a weight loss plateau . And how did u break it..i have been in same weight for 4 weeks. Very demotivating

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I hit several plateaus before getting to my goal. A few things I did were- count macros, change up exercising- do different things different days. Also add intervals to cardio workouts, add intensity as well. I also tightened up my logging- got rid of BLTs (bites, licks, tastes)- those can add up when you don't have a lot of wiggle room in your calories. Toward the end and when trying to lose those last 5 stubborn pounds I stopped eating back any exercise calories. If you don't have or use a food scale- get one and don't guess on the portion size. It's easy to do after you've been counting for a while.
  • 25agirard
    25agirard Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've plateaued before and became frustrated....and eventually just thrown my hands up and I am back to starting over....time and again....DO NOT DO THAT!!!! Do what the two people above me said!! You WILL figure it out--drop calories a bit, adjust macros, switch up exercise--but DO NOT DO WHAT IVE DONE!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Embrace the plateau! Maintaining your weight is way better than gaining weight.

It is always a problem with expenditure vs. intake of one sort or another. Ways to beat it include: trimming your plan, doing more cardio without increased eating, or you can try a fasting day here or there.

And, here's a dumb question: are you actually overweight?
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are real. There’s a good thread on this somewhere in MFP. you may need to take a diet break for a week or two weeks so all your hormones stabilize.
  • vilmaes
    vilmaes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It took me just over 3 years to lose 140 lbs. by eating healthy and exercising. After losing my first 50 lbs. with Weight Watchers, I got stuck on an 18-month plateau. That's not a typo - I was on a plateau for 1.5 YEARS!!! Talk about frustrating and demoralizing! I always gave up when I reached a plateau and I always gained the weight back plus more. Not this time. The idea of giving up didn't occur to me this time around. That was the key to my success. Then I joined a gym to increase my exercise and hired a trainer who changed my life.

She reviewed my Weight Watchers food diary and pointed out that I was not only eating way too many calories per day, I was eating way too many "empty" calories. I cancelled Weight Watchers, she put me on 1,500 calories a day, and had me sign up to MyFitnessPal - which I still use daily. As time went on, she also increased my workouts. The first month I worked with her, I lost 14 lbs. by just making small changes to my food - this after 1.5 years stuck on the scale. I couldn't believe it! Within the next 12 months of working with her, I lost another 90 lbs. Plateaus are normal but if they last too long, you have to review what you're doing: eating empty calories or healthy foods, how many calories a day are you consuming, are you drinking enough water, and are you exercising regularly.

The one thing I was grateful for was that I didn't give up during the 1.5 years in a plateau so that when I met my trainer, I could continue my journey instead of starting all over again. There's nothing more self defeating than having to start all over again with losing weight you've already lost. By the way, I was 54 at the time and in menopause. Everybody told me for years that you can't lose weight once you reach your 50s and menopause. Boy, were they wrong! It's all about the food.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yes four week plateaus can happen, I can retain water for weeks, then suddenly drop three to five kilos in a couple of weeks, but I'm in perimenopause and my cycle is weird, if this doesn't apply to you, check your logging.
  • aocampo1989
    aocampo1989 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Exercise-wise, start lifting weights if you don't already. If you only use a treadmill, change to solid ground. In your cardio sessions, add in push ups, jumping jacks, squats, sit-ups, anything. Be creative here.

Eating: cut out all rice, white bread, white pasta, soda, and juices with added, non-natural sugars. Only eat whole wheat bread or pasta. Trim off all fat from meats and don't add salt. Don't cook with a lot of oil. No more fried food! I add a splash of oil to the pan and half cup of water and let the meat cook in that. Remove all skin from chicken. Every single meal should have greens. I have a bowl of salad and have thick greens on my plate such as zucchini, squash, green beans, etc. Finally, drink over 64 oz of water per day.

I haven't plateaued since I began exercising in October. I've gone from 276 lbs to 231 lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!