Craving advice

Options
How does everyone else deal with craving sweets at night? My son & I stay up fairly late (he's 2) and I always end up have crazy cravings for sweets. I've just recently tried to cut them out for the most part because I kept binge eating them. I do great during the day but at night not so much.

Replies

• MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I find apples satisfying at night, they are sweet but still low calorie and filling enough to hold me until morning.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Hormone response follows circadian timing. Disruption of sleep patterns can cause triggers for eating hyper-palatable food. Address your sleep pattern by setting a schedule for you and your son to follow. Eat wholesome food during the day, allow for physical activity outside, if possible. Minimize habits that deviate from following your schedule.

I don't know your personal life, and you don't need to divulge it, so I'm just generalizing from this point on, but if I'm being honest, you are his mother and you have full authority over his actions. That does not mean you have to be a tyrant or an authoritarian. There are many mothers who provide "controlled freedom" for their children, and with that you are also able to ingrain responsibility in the early stages of his life. In return, you also learn to manage habits that you can control, like late night cravings.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can always save 100-150 calories for your sweets at night. Then you can eat them happily knowing you're still meeting your goals. I am learning that paying attention to my food and really savoring each bite helps me to be satisfied on less. You know you're going to want sweets at night, so plan for them.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you can't moderate it, get that sh1t out of your house and keep it out! Throw it in the trash, if necessary. No one needs sweets daily. Do a challenge where you eat no refined sugar foods for a month and see how you feel at the end. The craving does go away.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't keep much at home at any time, and when cravings hit, I either eat or don't eat.
  • silviamartins
    silviamartins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't keep much at home at any time, and when cravings hit, I either eat or don't eat.

So true!! Don’t keep your trigger foods home
  • ojules9
    ojules9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first cut sweets, sugar free bubble mint gum filled the gap. A lot of it!

Typically I don't eat anything after 7. But late night when I make lunches, I find myself nibbling. So I make sure to brush my teeth right after dinner and know "kitchen closed". It sounds kind of silly, almost too simple but it works for me.

I found with more exercise, the cravings got less and less. And now I can have a mini chocolate and my sweet tooth will be content as to before I would just crave more.
  • kiracookie
    kiracookie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don’t have sweet stuff in ur home. To stop the craving tho I either go to bed or if it’s still quite early have low carb jelly/hot chocolate. I ging cutting to a super low carb diet helps reduce my sweet tooth tho as it’s like crack to me so I’m best avoiding it at all!
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Flavored teas.

I like Forever Nuts, Carrot Cupcake (no caffeine), and Coco Chai Roobios from David’s Teas. Somehow sipping something hot and lightly sweet really helps me, and it’s a nice end of day ritual.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I save my 200 cal for at night because I am also a night owl , and have a snack of dark chocolate and some almonds or bowl of whole grain cereal ,( oatmeal , farina with oat bran added , or a fortified cereal like cinnamon toast crunch or life ). that solves my craving for a sweet in a reasonably healthy way . do not cut out the foods you love it sets you up for feeling deprived . I am not on a diet I am learning to enjoy food in a way that allows me to get to a better weight . ( 39.5 lbs down and counting )
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a pack of dole banana dippers nearly every night. They are banana slices dipped in dark chocolate and they are amazing! They are 100 calories a pack and fill that sweet craving perfectly. You can find them in the freezer section of your local store :) PS.. never really liked dark chocolate before these