Fitbit question....am I really that active?

Options

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Give us an idea of what you did that day. Did you go for a walk or a run? Did you Shovel snow or something? Or did you lay around and read a book?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    well by comparison that was about my steps at work yesterday which is 40 min walk to+from and thn im on my feet semi constantly lifting furniture yesterday was only for 4 hours though. So it depends.....how do you compare to that
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I work at a steel manufacturing plant. What I do is take a 3x3 ft piece of sheet metal (about 10 -15 lbs) walk about 20 ft load it into a machine that welds it then take it out and walk over another 20ft and set it on a different table. I do this about 200-250 times a day in an 8 hour shift. I also pace back and forth alot and bend to pick up and load those sheets of metal. I don't sit down the entire shift. Then I come home and take care of 4 children including a 25 lb infant.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    kam3190 wrote: »
    I work at a steel manufacturing plant. What I do is take a 3x3 ft piece of sheet metal (about 10 -15 lbs) walk about 20 ft load it into a machine that welds it then take it out and walk over another 20ft and set it on a different table. I do this about 200-250 times a day in an 8 hour shift. I also pace back and forth alot and bend to pick up and load those sheets of metal. I don't sit down the entire shift. Then I come home and take care of 4 children including a 25 lb infant.

then yes its very possible, And sorry the only reason i mentioned the furniture carrying part is because the motion of the arms sometimes can pick up as steps but since im lifting i count it as steps because it evens out roughly calorie wise anyway lol. Didnt really explain why i said that
  • kam3190
    Options
    Just adding my fitbit is a flex 2 so no heart rate monitor, and I also just got it yesterday
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me. Have you synced it with MFP? What are your goals?
  • kam3190
    Options
    I synced it with mfp and i have mfp set to lose 1 lb a week. Im set at lightly active. It gave me an allowance yesterday of 3118 calories, with 1268 extra calories earned from exercise
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    i dont eat near what fitbit tries to give me, Some people find it accurate, Im kind of stupid with the amount i eat back vs how active i am but i appear to be the abnormal one who drags average calorie burns down lol. Test it out see how much you can eat back id start at 50% and see how you feel/how fast you lose and adjust
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Fitbit gives me ~1k calories each day and I eat back ~500 calories on average.
  • kam3190
    Options
    Fitbit gives me ~1k calories each day and I eat back ~500 calories on average.

Are you losing at the expected rate?
  • kam3190
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i dont eat near what fitbit tries to give me, Some people find it accurate, Im kind of stupid with the amount i eat back vs how active i am but i appear to be the abnormal one who drags average calorie burns down lol. Test it out see how much you can eat back id start at 50% and see how you feel/how fast you lose and adjust

How much are you losing every week? I want to lose at a good for me rate of 1=2 lbs a week. I weigh 215
  • kam3190
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm most impressed by the 9 hours of sleep! I only get 6-7 hours :neutral:

I usually dont get that much lol. Its usually closer to 7
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 800 from my Fitbit (mine has the HRM) and I eat them all.

My experience is:

Zip/Flex underestimate by about 250 calories a day on avg for me.
    Surge/Blaze are about perfect. Close enough that it's hard to say if the device is off or it's my logging. When I've run the numbers in the past, I have gotten a swing of about 50 cals per day. One month I will come up with the burn was an avg of 50 per day over and the next 50 per day under. That however could easily be explained by logging errors on my part.

This is just my experience though. Some people find the numbers totally unreasonable (way over). The only way to know is to keep an accurate food log for a month (food scale will get you the most accurate log) and do a comparison at the end of the month. Figure out expected loss by averaging out your food intake for the month and subtact that from your monthly avg Fitbit burn (found on your profile on Fitbits website) to get your avg deficit. Multiply your avg deficit by 30 to get total monthly deficit. Divide total monthly deficit by 3500. The result is your expected loss. Compare that to your actual loss.

Example of a 10 day comparison (I only recently started being accurate with my food log again):

10 Day Avg Fitbit Blaze burn: 2852*
    10 Day Avg Calories In: 2133
    10 Day Deficit: 7190
    Expected loss: 2.05 lbs
    Actual loss: 3.6 lbs

Now I expect these being the first 10 days back to tracking that a chunk of that loss is water.

* I'm 5'4.5". The loss for this 10 day period is 143.8 to 140.2. I am active and this burn is slightly higher than normal because I had one day where I had 36k steps. I was in a Fitbit virtual race thing to get 36,800 steps and trying to get first place. However normal for me is 11k - 20k steps a day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the real question is. How would we know how active you were yesterdayr??
  • kam3190
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Jay how did you manage to get locked up in the last 2 hours lol?
  • kam3190
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Not sure what the real question is. How would we know how active you were yesterdayr??

I'm sorry I know this was kind of general and pointless. It mostly just shocked me. I never thought of myself as super active. Those activity level examples always confused me. I keep thinking how I could be big when I'm this active, but deep down I know it's because I was eating a lot, probably close to 4000 calories a day. I guess I should have realized because I was losing about 2 to 3 lbs a week eating around 2000 calories a day. Plus I didn't really think about how much I move. You know those fidgiters? Well I'm that to the extreme.im never completly still even now I'm tapping my foot, clenching my buttis muscles in rhythm lol. It's just enlightening I guess
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would definitely switch it to very active. Also jealous of how much deep sleep you get, I average 1.5 hours of deep sleep and the rest is light!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,743 Member
    Options
    Jay, again?

+1 sleep jealousy!

OP, obviously you're very active (in mfp speak).

Connect Fitbit to trendweight to watch your trend when you slow your weight loss.

Consider whether 2 to 3lbs a week is appropriate (hint 0.5% to 1% of body mass lost per week is more lean mass preserving).