What to do with juice and bones after cooking whole chicken in crock pot?

Options
AlyssaPetsDogs
AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
Hi all! I’m a big fan of cooking whole chickens in the crock pot because it is cheap and works great for fall off the bone chicken for shredding. I usually just season the chicken and put it in and it makes a TON of juice. Can I use this for something? What about the carcus or bones? I know people are into the bone broth but I’m not sure if there is any “stuff” left in the bones after the chicken had been in the crockpot for 4 hours cooking.

Thanks in advance! I just hate to be wasteful!

Replies

• AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    dailyzey wrote: »
    I do this all the time too! So delicious. The first night we eat chicken meat and then I put all the bones back in the crock pot. I cut up the remaining meat and put it in the fridge. I fill the crock pot with water and sometimes will add onions and spices. Leave it on low overnight. The next day you can carefully pour the stock out, add celer celery carrots, remaining chicken meat and some pasta for a delicious chicken noodle soup.

Awesome! Do you use the juice that is in the crock pot after the chicken as well?
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Do you use the juice that is in the crock pot after the chicken as well?

Yes. If you refrigerate it over night, any fat will solidify and you can remove it if desired.
  • rmact81
    rmact81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Freeze it in icecube trays and you have chicken stock in handy cubes for later meals. Reduce it down for a more intense flavor.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I always turn the juice into gravy for couscous or brown rice with a little light margarine and flour (about 3 tablespoons of each)
  • squeakylynn
    squeakylynn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always strain the broth and freeze it till I'm ready to make veg or chicken veg soup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Call it broth or stock.

I pour the broth in to a large mason jar through a strainer and let it cool in the fridge. I scoop off the fat in the morning. You will find the broth will have jellied by morning. There’s your bone broth.

When I have the time I roast the bones in a 500 F oven until the kitchen is filled with the smells of roast chicken.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/kittencals-best-chicken-stock-broth-crock-pot-option-118258

I will reheat it all back together in the slow cooker with onion, frozen celery tops, onion, and carrot peelings.

Strain it again.

Meat, noodles and veggies only have to cook for about fifteen minutes with the finished stock.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ymmv depending on where your chickens come from, but around here i chill the 'juice' first just to get rid of the fat. because so freaking much of it turns out to be fat.

it can definitely be used though. and it's wonderful.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Roasting the bones adds depth of flavor and color. I roast veggies too and then simmer with roasted bones, reducing for richer stock.
  • KetoKris
    KetoKris Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lol The fact that there’s nothing left in the bones afterwords is good. That’s why it’s called bone broth, because all of the bone marrow goes into the broth. You can use it for cooking other things. For example making another soup or just drinking it out of a cup. However if you’re watching your salt intake you may want to be careful because chances are while you were cooking in the first place you were adding salt. Bone broth is very keto or low carb friendly.