Shirataki Noodles?

Options
All I know are the advantages of Japanese shirataki noodles (zero calorie, lots of fibre), but do any health conscious MFPers know if they’re secretly bad for you?

They’re very tempting if I can go nuts on the noods and not worry about calories

Replies

• hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Taste like fish
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There's a long history of their consumption, so if you like them, it seems unlikely that they will be harmful. That said, it's almost all fiber, with almost no nutrition so don't displace sources of nutrition with konjac root. Nutritionally, veggie spirals are better, but I prefer shirataki personally.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    They have the texture of plastic and no overriding good flavour. Hard pass for me.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    hookahbinx wrote: »
    Taste like fish

So perfect for Vietnamese noodle bowls then ;)
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    They taste good to me when prepared correctly. Unfortunately I can't digest them and feel bloated and nauseous a few hours after eating them.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the major brand form them into pasta-replacement forms, leading people to think that it's a good substitute for wheat pasta for spaghetti or something similar, and honestly it isn't -- the texture is too different. It works pretty well in a stir fry though, especially if you pan fry them.
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I love them, you just have to prepare them properly. It’s basically just straight fiber. Perfectly healthy for you. It just seems new and amazing to Western culture. Amazing in Asian style noodle dishes. People get really disappointed that they don’t taste like flour style pasta but that’s just not really how they’re meant to be used best. Pad Thai sauce, peanut sauce, etc is where they really rock.

Have a feeling it’d be really good in a cold Korean spicy noodle dish. Or in a sesame sauce with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. Mmmmmm. Or a substitute for soba in a soup.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If they were "secretly bad for you", it wouldn't stay a "secret" for long.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like them. I cook stir-fry once a week or so and I put in chicken and loads of veg but I like to add noodles for bulk. The first time I ate them I guess I didn't chew properly and I felt horrible afterwards but since then I've cooked with them a lot of times and it had no ill effects.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've used them here and there in Asian dishes. If you prepare them correctly they are ok, but if you are looking to replace pasta with these, then they disappoint. I've never heard anything about them being secretly (or not secretly) unhealthy. And considering the definition of healthy is different for everyone, sounds like a bunch of woo.
  • charlesmetz1983
    charlesmetz1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tonights dinner. Stir fried Shirataki noodles with tuna poke and avocado. Big filling dinner for 540 cals
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    They’re definitely an acquired taste. I’ve only tried tofu shirataki noodles. They have a little more substance then the regular shirataki noodles. I think they’re delicious in a stir fry. With tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese? No so much.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy them as a stir fry too. they do smell weird when you first take them out of the package. you definitly need to rinse them off first. i cook them in the pan with shrimp or chicken ans some stirfry vegetables.Add a little oil and some terriaki sauce and it's a fantastic dinner. The store by me had them as spaghetti noodles and fetucinni.
  • tasha_998
    tasha_998 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love them . . . in yosenabe and sukiyaki. Not sure if I would use them as a substitute for western noodles, as they have a unique texture.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I was in the store holding a package of shiritake noodles when I recalled someone saying what a horrible taste experience it was. I lost my grip.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The "real" shiritaki (Konjac) are ok. The tofu ones have a more rubbery texture that I guess is more "noodle" like.
    Either type needs to be rinse really well in cold water and drained to remove the flavour of the packaging liquid.
    Then I dry fry them to remove excess moisture and then add in the seasonings/sauces. I only use them for Asian inspired dishes. I can't imagine eating them with tomato or pesto.