fitbit or alternative ?

Options
Hi guys
Do alot of you own a fitbit or what are some good alternatives looking to invest to help me track my fitness ect

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What type of fitness? I run and ride my bicycle along with some strength training and yoga. I chose a Garmin Forerunner 35 because it had everything I wanted in a fitness tool for what I do.
  • deeblues13
    deeblues13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Walking jogging i mainly do home workouts every other day as i dont live near a gym and i want one that does the hole sleep monitor thing to
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and really like it. This is my second one. I lost the first on a business trip! Grrrrr. I use it to log my steps and swim. It help me stay accountable. It is not a magic ticket to weight loss, but it helps me to keep moving. I do challenges with people and the competitive nature in me comes out,so I exercise more.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Garmin! Hands down!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've used Garmin, Fitbit, Misfit, and Jawbone.

Garmin and Fitbit we're the most accurate in terms of step count. I didn't like Garmin's app. Otherwise it was a great little tracker.
    Jawbone and Misfit would miss a lot of steps. I think it's the way they are programmed to avoid counting hand gestures as steps. That said I could manually count 100 steps and both would end up with anywhere from 20-75 steps. It could be I just ended up with malfunctioning devices.

My top 2 choices for accuracy are Fitbit and Garmin. I currently use Fitbit, because I didn't like Garmin's app.

*I have done 100 step count tests on all trackers I've used.
  • jroc411
    jroc411 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivoactive HR. Can do so much more than you can on the Fitbit imo
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge2, and am really happy with it. The only exercise i do is walking, but I'm working up to jogging. I don't need a super spiffy and expensive tracker for what i do.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I've used Garmin, Fitbit, Misfit, and Jawbone.

Garmin and Fitbit we're the most accurate in terms of step count. I didn't like Garmin's app. Otherwise it was a great little tracker.
    Jawbone and Misfit would miss a lot of steps. I think it's the way they are programmed to avoid counting hand gestures as steps. That said I could manually count 100 steps and both would end up with anywhere from 20-75 steps. It could be I just ended up with malfunctioning devices.

My top 2 choices for accuracy are Fitbit and Garmin. I currently use Fitbit, because I didn't like Garmin's app.

*I have done 100 step count tests on all trackers I've used.

Very good info. I'm also looking at investing (as cheaply as possible, with my budget) in a tracker. I've only been considering Fitbit and Garmen. Can you tell us what exactly you didn't like about the app? And what you primarily use yours for?

Garmin connect has been through quite a few updates since I used it. During the time frame I had it, Garmin connect was having issues syncing. If I remember correctly there were times I couldn't sync it for days at a time. I gave it a fair shot (I want to say 2 months, because I loved my vivofit), but I wasn't able to pull the data from my tracker the majority of the time. I also wasn't really thrilled with the website or app design. It was very simplistic and lacked color. This was years ago though.

I use my tracker to track my sleep, steps, and workouts. Depending on season and if I have access to a gym my workouts can vary from home DVD's to lifting free weights at the gym to long walks outside.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Fitbit
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive hr. I bike, use a treadmill or elliptical and lift weights. The Garmin calculates calories burned less than the machines and what MFP does, and adjusts MFP to accomodate. I'm certain the Garmin is more accurate. I've had no syncing issues and I've had it since October.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know about any of the other brands, but the fitbit charge 2 as well as the other newer models gives you a detailed sleep analysis, it's tells you how long/when you were in light, deep and r.e.m sleep.
  • nigelnorris
    nigelnorris Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Garmin Vivosmart here and I love it, the Connect software is great too. I rarely use the app, I prefer to look at Garmin Connect on a computer screen, but the app does the syncing and is very reliable. It all hooks up nicely with this site and the MapMy... softwares, they all talk and sync nicely together, I've never had any issues. Step count, heart rate, stair count and so on are all tolerably accurate but no one should buy one of these things expecting them to be dead on.

My only issue with the Vivosmart is that the text is too small so I struggle to read the emails and phone notifications that come through, but that's hardly mission critical.

Oh and I get a full week's life from one charge, takes about an hour on Sunday morning and that's enough. That's with bluetooth turned on 24/7, auto backlight on, notifications on, you name it.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My first tracker was a Fitbit Blaze. Loved it, no question about it. My issue with it is that it wasn't waterproof. Now I run a Garmin Fenix 5. It was much more money but I'm a fan of big watches so it fits me just perfect. I found that my fitbit gave me more false steps than my Garmin does, especially on bumpy car rides.

If I didn't have the money for this Fenix I would have got the new Fitbit that is waterproof, has stand alone GPS but can also hold 500 songs and pair to bluetooth headphones. The ability to hold songs is the only thing that i wish the fenix had but it doesn't.

Both of the aps for fitbit and garmin are good. Fitbit was a little bit easier to navigate I found but Garmin Connect is still good. Both aps give you a ton of data. Get either product if you are looking for a tracker and you can't go wrong.
  • Pantera6x2
    Pantera6x2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have used every type of Fitbit and there was always something missing. Tried the Apple Watch-not enough fitness tracking and more of a novelty band. Hands down the Garmin Active HR is my favorite! I enjoy the Garmin app and find it easy to read. I love the overlapping data.

Find the band that works best for your needs.

Always looking for motivational friends-feel free to add me. I am on Garmin with the same name.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I recommend Fitbit. I started with a Charge HR (Charge 2 is the newer model); switched to the Blaze and love the tracking and sleep data which I find very accurate. Easy to use and few issues with syncing to MFP (except around the holidays when MFP can't keep up). Customer service is fairly helpful if you have issues with your device (free replacement if in the warranty period, after that they've been offering discounts to purchase another tracker). No tracker is 100% accurate but Fitbit is pretty close. I've used it while losing (15 months) and in maintenance (3 years). The longer you wear the device the more accurate it becomes as it "learns" your lifestyle patterns.