Skip lunch

Options
Hello everyone, celebrating almost a month logging on MFP and lost almost 7 lbs! I am trying a 1200 cal a day diet which is a bit hard. Yesterday I was out and about and missed eating lunch. That made it much easier to keep my limit. Can you do Intermittent fasting during the day (between breakfast and dinner?) I need my breakfast, usually eats 350 or 400 for my first meal.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't really be considered intermittent fasting, but if it works for you to not eat between breakfast and dinner then go for it.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You can split your calories up any way you wish. Just keep in mind that you are sitting at the bare minimum someone should eat to maintain a healthy body. So make sure you dont eat less.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    do what works for you. id rather skip breakfast than lunch, personally.

your body doesnt care when you eat
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my first meal until 6pm so I can stretch my 1200 calories further. I then have a nice, nutritious and large meal, followed by some not-so-nutritious snacks in the evening :) Works really well for me.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and have a late lunch because I'm not hungry until then. I have an evening meal and a somewhat indulgent snack/s. Total1200 Kcals.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You don't really need lunch, so if you want to skip it go ahead! I'm doing 1200 calories right now and could never skip my lunch regularly! But on days when I know I'll be eating a huge dinner, I'll skip lunch or snacks to save calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Do you need to be on a 1200 cal diet? if its not sustainable then you wont be able to stick to it. Choose to lose a bit slower i.e 1lb instead of 2lbs loss per week and you'll get more calories to work with right away.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes when I'm in a deficit on my lower days.. I will eat from 7am-12pm, then not eat from 12-6pm. Or cut out the snacks.. Or have a post workout protein snack, cut out lunch and save my cals for dinner. Whatever works for you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you a particularly small person? You can probably eat more than 1200 and still be successful.

But sure, there's nothing wrong with skipping lunch if it helps you keep your deficit. I skip breakfast usually for the same reason.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Skipping makes things worse for me. I'm ravenous when I get home & end up eating cheese & crackers before dinner.

What helps me (when I'm good) is grazing & drinking a lot of water. When I feel hungry I try to drink a bottle of water before reaching for food. Sometimes that does the trick. I'll have a small breakfast (7 a.m.), then eat a lo-cal snack around 11 a.m. (fruit, a yogurt, string cheese) I'll have lunch between 1-2, then another snack around 3-4 (for a while my favorite was the 90 calorie Fiber one brownies which helped curb my chocolate cravings) . My husband has long commute so we rarely sit down to dinner before 8 p.m. When I can keep that high protein I seem to do OK.
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you a particularly small person? You can probably eat more than 1200 and still be successful.

But sure, there's nothing wrong with skipping lunch if it helps you keep your deficit. I skip breakfast usually for the same reason.

I am 5.5! I usually end of with 1250 or 1300 though. Losing ca 1.5 lbs per week currently.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Sojo15 wrote: »

I am 5.5! I usually end of with 1250 or 1300 though. Losing ca 1.5 lbs per week currently.

That's not particularly small for a woman. You might want to adjust your rate of loss to 1 pound a week. I know it's easy to want to lose as fast as possible, but if you're struggling with a 1200-1300 goal (which makes sense, because it's really low!) a pound a week is still very respectable and may be more sustainable long-term. I'm 5'2" myself and have made it a goal never to average under 1700 net - those last ten pounds are going to take months, but the first 41 didn't hurt nearly as much as they could have.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have a good protein-filled breakfast, a couple of snacks during the day, and dinner. I stopped eating a lunch a while back because I wanted more calories for an evening smoothie after dinner, and more calories for snacks. I seldom feel very hungry during the day.
  • tuftedghostdeer
    tuftedghostdeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This isn't very popular but I swear by it. I need something to eat in the morning, so I have a small breakfast. Then I skip lunch and go for a walk or do something to keep me occupied so I'm not thinking about food. It's amazing how much the mind tricks you into thinking you HAVE to eat because once everyone is back from lunch (if it's a work day) my hunger isn't even there. Then I get to go home and have a meal with my family that isn't necessarily a "diet" meal...sometimes it's super healthy/low cal and sometimes it's pizza! But because I skip lunch I can afford it and I consistently lose weight. It's easier for me to eat this way than spread my calories out over the day because I don't like having to "diet" at dinner. I like to enjoy that meal with my family. I still have to be mindful and count it, but it just seems easier to me. I have googled "skipping lunch" but not much comes up except doom and gloom OMG YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR BODY IN STARVATION MODE...balogna. Well, you know what? I was putting my body in FAT MODE by eating all dang day. hahaha! Do what works for YOUR body and don't worry about anyone else.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I often do this on the weekends, I'll have a nice filling breakfast and then save the rest of my calories for a big supper.

I can't do this during the week though I seem to not be able to ignore my hunger at work, I think it's just the habit my body is so used to eating at noon that no matter what it will scream at me by lunch time.

This is all about finding what works for you, what will make you more likely to stick to your new diet/lifestyle.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat a late breakfast (10am+) and skip lunch, have an earlyish dinner (4pm+) and a snack in the evening. Much easier to stick to calorie allowance that way and I don’t miss that meal at all.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast everyday and it's not because I'm eating 1200 calories but because I'm just not hungry first thing which has always been the case for me. I don't think it matters when you eat/what you eat/whether you fast or not...as long as you are in a defecit you will lose weight.

well done on your weight loss so far
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you. Meal timing really isn't very relevant, unless you're fueling a workout or something. I eat "breakfast" when I get home from work and roll my eyes internally when people tell me I'm ruining my metabolism.