Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Alcohol made me kinda puffy too as well as gave me a ruddy undertone :s
  • Teresastandard
    Teresastandard Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m trying alcohol free for thirty days, started 1/13/18. Fighting the evening wine habit with Pelligrino and hot tea. Definitely clearer headed and easier to get going in the morning. And I’ve lost four lbs. Two years ago moved to a house with a wine cellar - which is awesome except my two glasses a weekend changed to two glasses a day.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    @dsboohead I agree hot ginger tea is great. My husband gave up alcohol 3 years ago now for a specific health problem and drinks Becks alcohol free or San Miguel zero as he finds other soft drinks to sweet. Hate to admit but I halved my alcohol intake by adding water to my wine as a calorie reducer - now I can't drink it neat. I am down to about 3 units a week or less while hubby is at 0.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    @dsboohead I agree hot ginger tea is great. My husband gave up alcohol 3 years ago now for a specific health problem and drinks Becks alcohol free or San Miguel zero as he finds other soft drinks to sweet. Hate to admit but I halved my alcohol intake by adding water to my wine as a calorie reducer - now I can't drink it neat. I am down to about 3 units a week or less while hubby is at 0.

Before you know it...you'll find yourself saying "whats the point?!"
  • Cyprus_Girl84
    Cyprus_Girl84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    La Croix, decaf coffee with unsweetened almond milk, decaf herbal tea, soda water

if out, soda water with lime

give yourself permission to have other things because quitting alcohol is a big deal

there is a great sobriety community on Instagram if you feel you may have a problem controlling whether or not you drink or think you may want to lead an alcohol-free life
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I have the urge for a cocktail I mix juice and sprite. Pineapple juice with sprite is suprisingly good. So is raspberry lemonade and sprite. Sparking water is an alright substitute too, I just can't drink too many because they give me migraines if I drink them too often.
  • crs256
    crs256 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spindrift sodas are great for this. They have a little squeeze of fruit (instead of sugar substitutes) that I find meets the craving. They range between 2 and 15 calories, depending on the flavor. Often found at target.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I quit drinking my sweet tooth came back in a big way! It is really ok to eat what you want if you find cutting out alcohol to be difficult - I had a three or so drink a day habit and quitting really destabilized my body chemistry for a while. I found I couldn't just substitute a non alcoholic drink - I had to completely change my schedule and how I spent my time. It was hard. But it was WORTH IT - not just for the health benefits of being sober but for the HAPPINESS. I'm so much happier now. I keep a variety of sparkling waters and fancy sodas and ginger beers on hand for relaxation and to take to parties. Club soda and lime is also good (I was a gin and tonic or vodka tonic drinker). Full disclosure: I had to go to AA to get sober and it was marvelously helpful. If you've wondered about it, give it a try. The people I met there were amazing.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Get the booze out of your house completely. Don't go to social situations where booze is present.

• googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I cut out booze completely 10 months ago. Sparkling water ( zero calories) was my go to and I'd put it in a wine glass . For about three months I drank so much sparkling water it was nuts. If I went out, I'd bring non alcoholic beer or wine and have a few. Now I rarely drink the sparkling water and it's super rare for me to have the non alcoholic substitutes. I also eat a ton of chocolate and deserts. I work out 6 times a week and lost 17 lbs. I'm 47 and I weigh the same I did at 16 years old.
    Prior to quitting drinking, I couldn't lose a pound. After a few months, not drinking was way easier and I actually find I'm more relaxed and genuinely social without it. Good luck to you. For me it's the healthiest choice I've made. :)
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    have you tried kombucha? it's full of probiotics and makes you feel good and has a slightly alcoholish taste as it's a fermented drink.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Get the booze out of your house completely. Don't go to social situations where booze is present.

That is quite unrealistic. What if it's family functions like weddings birthdays anniversarys? She's supposed to stop living just because alcohol is there? Yeah ok.