What would you say to your past self?

Options
lavapixie
lavapixie Posts: 26 Member
edited January 2018 in Chit-Chat
If you could time travel back when you were the most unhappy about your body, where you were at your unhealthiest, heaviest etc. what would you say to your past self?

I'd say: "It's time to stop. You look like play-doh that has been left too long in the sun, got rained on and mud splattered on (I'm quoting a youtuber called Cr1tikal ). Get up, what are you doing with your life? Start eating real food. Make that change instead of sitting in your room and eating crap. Exercise. You will feel better."

Granted, I am still overweight and I have a long way to go, but I'm so glad I'm not 15 kg (33 lbs) heavier like I used to be.

This topic has probably been posted a hundred times before but I thought it would be fun to post and it might be inspiring to see what other people have to say to their past selves.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options
    "Stop eating your feelings, they're still going to be there, you'll just be fatter with feelings."

This for me too

And don't pay attention to all the stupid crap your mom does, obviously it aint working so find your own way
  • lavapixie
    lavapixie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's time to stop. Stop drawing all the time and go outside. You're not going to be an artist. Do something more useful with your time.

Well, to be fair I still draw and I'm proud of the progress so far, but I used to make it get in the way of losing weight. You can absolutely lose weight and still have art as a hobby. I still draw when I'm not working out, but I've started to draw a lot of work out inspired drawings admittedly haha. I just put a little less time into it, but I think I personally will always be an artist.

Not trying to belittle your answer by any means, just saying you shouldn't give up on drawing completely and it can aid in relieving stress :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    Punt.

...you'll get a fresh set of downs.
  • KRTrenkamp
    KRTrenkamp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I could go back and talk to myself I'd have to tell myself this:

"It'll get better. I know you think the world sucks and you have trouble putting a smile on your face but in a couple of years you'll not only be free from depression, you'll also be way healthier and happier. It's a long and hard road but it is so worth it. Thanks for not doing yourself in so you can see what you can really do when you put your mind to it.

"Stop worrying about trying to please everyone, just start looking after you. There is still so much to do in this life and you need to have as many chances to experience new and wonderful things."
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    “Stop wearing a shirt in the pool, you’re embarrassing us”
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Duck idiot
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Don’t take Olivia to dinner.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOO!!!!!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Quit waiting for the fairy tale life you think you're entitled to. It's not real. Life is not going to magically be rainbows and unicorns. You gotta work for that *kitten* you want. Life doesn't owe you these things.

True statement
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Let's have a drink buddy...
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking “If only_______ would happen, then I would be happy.” I wasted a lot of time keeping happiness at bay, waiting for this or that thing to happen first. Happiness is a choice you make every day, regardless of external events.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Don't be your own road block. Also, accept that while sucky and uncomfortable they are, that feelings are real and they're probably ok to have.
  • DadBodClub
    DadBodClub Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I’d tell myself to F*** Off