Were you happy with your shape/size when you hit goal?

Options

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal and put back on 3 pounds because it didn't look great.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i had been aiming for sub-125 and started doing stronglifts 5x5 when i had about 10 pounds to go, so my expectations for the final result were probably unreasonable. i feel like i chased the weight loss far too aggressively considering what i was trying to do wrt strength at the same time.

it's hard for me to describe exactly waht the problem was once i got down to 120ish, though i myself know exactly what i'm trying to explain. i grew all this muscle - not 'bulk', but very dense, very obvious muscle you couldn't possibly mistake for anything else. and then there'd be these random-looking blobs of fat distributed at odd points on top of it. very visibly 'on top' of the muscle; i think that was what i disliked about it - just this huge difference in visual 'textures' with no real middle ground anywhere. tell you the truth, i liked the long-ago memory of my skinny-fat self a lot better. this was more like being scrawny-fat, and i was disappointed.

it wasn't hard to let go of that specific weight and go back to eating whatever my lifting made me feel like i wanted to eat, which took me back up to 145 over the next year or so - in fact, back to where i had started from. for the past year i've been concentrating on just chipping away at my weight again, and i've just gotten back down to 125ish last month. haven't yet decided what i think this time around, but i guess what i learned was: i want to concentrate more on the 'quality' of the muscle i'm trying to build, if that's possible.
  • jkm49
    jkm49 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was very happy with myself but a lot of friends and family criticised some. Although I did probably look thin I felt as if I was always walking on air and that for me was far more important that how I looked. At 68yo health is more important than how I looked. And besides I am in recommended weight range. :)
  • kiracookie
    kiracookie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was very happy, Im 5’9”ish and went from 198lb to 172lb with loads of resistance work so I was nice.
    I got glandular fever 6months later and put it all back (+14lb) on tho
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes and no.
    I still have a small flabby tummy but the rest of me is very lean now and I don't want to become gaunt (people already tell me that I am!).
    I exercise, cardio and strength training and although that has helped my tummy area I think genetics mean that I am highly unlikely to have a flat stomach but I can live with that. With clothes on I look darned slim which is the main thing imo.
  • nickbullett
    nickbullett Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No, therefore new much lower goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hard to be happy with all that loose skin on my belly. 3 years later and it's still there :(
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    halfmill1 wrote: »
    I don’t know if I will ever meet my dream goal again. I’m 5 ft 3 and would love to weigh about 135. That is what I weighed in college as a division one athlete. I started this journey at 216. I am now down to 151. The weird thing is I am now a size 6 in pants. When I was 135 I was usually an 8. So although I weigh more I fit in smaller Jeans. It’s really weird and they are the same brand I have always liked.
    This may be a vanity sizing issue?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    I don’t know if I will ever meet my dream goal again. I’m 5 ft 3 and would love to weigh about 135. That is what I weighed in college as a division one athlete. I started this journey at 216. I am now down to 151. The weird thing is I am now a size 6 in pants. When I was 135 I was usually an 8. So although I weigh more I fit in smaller Jeans. It’s really weird and they are the same brand I have always liked.

I don't think trying to go from 151lbs, BMI 26.75, to 135lbs BMI 23.9 is a vanity issue. Just wanting to get within the normal BMI range.

Vanity sizing has made clothing sizes larger so unfortunately an 8 then could easily be a 6 now.

Cheers, h.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

I don't think trying to go from 151lbs, BMI 26.75, to 135lbs BMI 23.9 is a vanity issue. Just wanting to get within the normal BMI range.

Vanity sizing has made clothing sizes larger so unfortunately an 8 then could easily be a 6 now.

Cheers, h.

Yes that's what I meant when I said there may be a vanity sizing issue. I didn't intend to imply anything about 'actual' vanity, just a plausible explanation for why @halfmill1 could be heavier now than while in college but wearing smaller pants sizes. Depending on how long ago college was, it could well be that pants currently marked as a 6 are actually the same size or larger than the 8s of years past.

Arrrrgh sorry @HDBKLM totally miss read your post. <3

Cheers, h.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good question! I was very happy when I hit 130 which was my original maintenance goal, with target range of 128-132.

As I searched for that ‘right number’ of daily maintenance calories, my weight dipped as low as 123. Too low. But got accustomed to 126-128 for about a year.

When my body went back to the 130-132 range 2 years ago, I felt like it was too high. It’s not. But my mind got used to seeing those lower numbers. I am working to readjust to a healthier number, not a ‘too low’ unmaintainable one.

So that’s where I am. Would like to be a bit firmer, but medical condition severely limits my activity so must be patient and exercise as health allows.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my shape and size now, but know logically that I still need to lose more to get out of the obese category. It did lead me to reconsider my goal weight (upwards) by 4-5 kg (about 10 pounds). I used to want to get to a healthy BMI, but lately I have decided to go for a hard target range that is in the lower end of overweight BMI (26-27). Just a range to hit where my risk is reduced but I'm hopefully still not too thin for my liking. It's very unlikely I'll want to go any lower unless I'm forced to, if my blood sugar decides to act up. It's also unlikely I will stop at a higher weight, despite it being too tempting. It has been a constant struggle lately of self talk trying to constantly remind myself I need to lose more. I just have to.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at my goal weight and I feel pretty happy with how I look. I've always had bigger thighs/calves so I don't think those are going anywhere, but they are considerably smaller than when I started my weight loss journey. Down 28lb since Dec 2016.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft, age 44 and very happy with my goal weight of 8st10-12. I have decided I'd like to be 8st7 for summer as i know i will still be curvy but will hopefully be a tiny bit leaner. I'll never ne completely happt naked but very happy in clothes. I wear form fitting stuff every day. I never imagined i could do this in my 40s
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 25lbs and I’ve gone through 3 cut cycles this past year. I went from 130lbs to 105-107lbs at 5’3. I have goals of being lean round and I think I have achieved it for the most part but there are days where I dread going to the gym or am I like f*it I’m going to eat banana cream pie for breakfast. The struggle has been real with hittting gym everyday and consistently. Anyways, I’m doing a mini bulk to finally compete for the first time in June. My goal is when I cut, I continuously shed less body fat
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 160. Hit it but stabiliized at 158 which is fine.

I actually like 155 better, which I hit from time to time, but for some reason can't sustain it. So, 158 will have to do
  • bionic_woman
    bionic_woman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm about a pound away from my goal. I want to build more muscle and reduce body fat but I am generally happy. I have more energy and less knee pain which is a huge benefit for me.