How to eat less during the beginning of the day...

Options
I work second shift currently. I wake up anywhere from 8-10 in the morning and eat soon after then eat multiple times after that.I find that I am consuming half of my calories before I ever get to work at 330 pm. I eat lunch at 8pm and then eat dinner around 1230am-1 am the next morning. Any ideas to help? I need at least 350 calories for my 1230 am dinner due to medication.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat? I mean, lots of people delay their first meal for a few hours. That's what works for me. A couple cups of coffee, then wait a couple hours to eat the first meal. Last meal is three hours before bed for me.
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I need to eat breakfast
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I need to eat breakfast

do you need breakfast more thn you need calories later...? just eat later thats how you eat later
  • dark_sparkles37019
    Options
    I need to at least eat before work. How do I keep my mind off of food?
  • dark_sparkles37019
    Options
    I could run a 1.5-2 pound deficit if I can control this
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I could run a 1.5-2 pound deficit if I can control this

Maybe that's too aggressive? How much do you have to lose?
  • dark_sparkles37019
    Options
    75-90 pounds
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

You say that you are eating breakfast and then multiple times after that before you get to work (assuming i didnt miss read that). I would try delaying your breakfast till a bit later after waking up. If you dont want to skip the breakfast entirely, delaying it so that you eliminate those extra snacks before you go to work and get a lunch might help keep your eating in check.

Personally I skip breakfast entirely because I find if I eat it, that I stay hungry and thinking about food throughout the entire day. If i Skip it and eat later I can get distracted and not think about eating until its the next meal time.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it takes a little time to get used to not eating in the morning. Take your time with a nice coffee or whatever you like to have in the morning, and see how you feel over a week. Would I like to eat in the morning? Sure. But even MAINTAINING my weight is difficult if I eat before 11:30. (I get up at 5:30/5:00am).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OP, different people find different macros or foods filling. It sounds like you are eating a breakfast that isn't sticking with you. Try more protein, fat, and/or fiber and play around with it. Start paying attention to how all your meals make you feel for the following hours and start to make a note if foods that keep you full.

I personally find oats, pb, and berries keep me full for hours. Other people say oatmeal leaves them hungry.

Your other option as was already mentioned is to experiment with delaying your first meal to see if you might be someone who does well skipping it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    I need to eat breakfast
    Okay, but you can push it back a few hours or just have something really small like one egg and toast.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

If you're working shift, maybe you should be eating and sleeping shift too.

Do you have any specific reason to wake up at that time? I wake at 5:45am for 7:30am work, so perhaps you should be waking at 1:45pm for 3:30pm work, depending of course on your distance and mode of transportation.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I second the oats. It's my go to pretty much every and working wonder for curbing my big appetite lol.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast? Is it high in protein and/or fiber? Is it something you enjoy?

I target a good amount of protein for breakfast to hold me over. Although, I also eat an early-ish lunch, then a snack, then dinner. I tried breakfast, snack and then lunch and it didn't work for me.

I also eat something I really enjoy (within cals). I find that, especially for breakfast if I don't eat something I enjoy I end up chasing what I want but can't have...eating and eating.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Reality is, you either have the motivation and self discipline or you don't. If you like to graze in the morning, that is fine, but you have to learn to control the calories.

Sit down and plan your eating and the foods that you will be eating around your schedule. Start with the 350 cals that you have to have at 12:30 and go from there. If you "have to have" breakfast, then put that in next. Plan your other main meal. The remaining calories are for snacks. Figure out what snacks you can have with those calories. Portion out those snacks and put them in a ziplock or a brown bag. That bag are your snacks for the day. If you want a snack, you get one out of that bag.

To keep your mind off food, busy yourself with something else where you don't have convenient access to snacking. Go to the gym, go get your nails done, walk around the mall, take a long bath, scrub your floors, get the car washed, get the dog washed etc etc.
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One of my fave foods in the morning is peanut butter toast. But that's usually mid morning.