Putting away the wineglass

Options
ntruman75
ntruman75 Posts: 14 Member
Looking for support... 20 days no wine and eating well... the wine I’m still missing... looking for support

Replies

• ntruman75
    Options
    Thank you for the tips
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I usually only drink wine on the weekends, but I tend to overdo it. It just doesn't go with my whole "trying to be healthy".
  • ntruman75
    Options
    Excellent!!! Should we aim to have no wine for one month??
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've put down the alcohol for now. No drinking this week. I drank beer, malt liquor, and liquor, rarely wine.
  • ntruman75
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply
  • jascinthe64
    jascinthe64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too drink far too much wine. I make sure I log it just so I know how much I am drinking Even just the act of logging it has helped me be aware and cut back.
  • ntruman75
    Options
    Thank you for your advice
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I stopped bringing it into the house. My rule is I can drink wine when I'm out at a restaurant, but don't need it tempting me at home. Too many calories and I sleep horribly when I drink it!
  • ntruman75
    Options
    Great tip!! Thanks!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    I stopped bringing it into the house. My rule is I can drink wine when I'm out at a restaurant, but don't need it tempting me at home. Too many calories and I sleep horribly when I drink it!

I sleep horribly too.....thats why its a once a month thing. 5oz for 125 cal. Im stingy cause I would rather eat than drink.
    Life is all about tradeoffs!
  • MigsMex
    MigsMex Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a challenge of mine too. I’m a binge drinker. Hardly ever have a drink until I go out and then it’s a six pack or more. Big goal to cut it out, manage the social situation and keep the weight off!
  • ntruman75
    Options
    Yes managing social situations is tough... trying to meet you your own goals without appearing like you’re judging others for their choices...
  • judefit18
    judefit18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love my wine; I'm now limiting it to weekends and actually weigh it so that I don't have more than a true 5 oz glass. I'll allow myself a second if the calories are in check- and I've eaten healthy foods. If I've eaten "junk", no wine- its a tradeoff. I'm in charge.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ntruman75 wrote: »
    Yes managing social situations is tough... trying to meet you your own goals without appearing like you’re judging others for their choices...

Social situations are not as tough as you think - I stopped drinking alcohol 25 years ago - no body thinks it's weird that I have coffee or juice while they drink - people really don't care about that. - Eastcoast Jim
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    ntruman75 wrote: »

Social situations are not as tough as you think - I stopped drinking alcohol 25 years ago - no body thinks it's weird that I have coffee or juice while they drink - people really don't care about that. - Eastcoast Jim

...and the people who act like they do care are the ones with their own little love affair with alcohol.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'd contend that wine may not be the problem.

As a habit, I drink exactly one beer, which is the first thing I do when I arrive home from the office. It's a relaxation thing; I'm happy to drink one beer, then go about the rest of my evening.

At the bar (when I go there, which isn't often), I drink exactly one beer, then change up to (diet) soda. Offering friends the excuse that 'I'm driving' usually does it, and if doesn't, then f--- them.

If your problem is a clear inability--despite your best efforts--to stop at one, then, as with the biblical 'arm that causes you to sin', cut off the alcohol completely.

Addition: To summarize, I suppose you could say that if you're such a drinker who drinks for the 'effect' (as opposed to the taste)--and whereas one of those effects is poor judgment--it would be wise to quit alcohol altogether.