Prepackaged snack recommendations?

Options
So I like to keep prepackaged snacks on hand. Used to be chips, rice crispy treats, etc. But of course that is bad for the calories! What do people recommend as an alternative? Needs to be non-refrigerated store-bought snacks. I have been eating the Nori/seaweed snacks but that gets old. Plus it is fun to share and my coworkers are not enamored with the Nori. Although the reactions were fun to watch!

Thanks.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I like planters/Kirkland trail mix/nut singles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Crispy chickpeas, dry roasted soybeans, crispy broad beans, puppodums . . . .
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    100 calorie popcorn. I also like fiber one for something sweet.
  • lmcclatchie
    lmcclatchie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted soybeans, pumpkin seeds, walnuts - I buy in bulk packages and then repackage into small backs only the amounts (in ounces) that I want to eat for the day - or even the week.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Beef jerkey is one of my go-tos because a little bit keeps me satisfied for a while. A few chips does not.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky
    Popcorn
    Individual packs of Cheez-Its
    Fresh Fruit - apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, etc.
    I also like to buy a box of things like chickpea crackers, weigh out individual servings and put in ziplock bags for easy to grab-and-go snacks.
  • nsprieg
    nsprieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What kind of environment to you work in?

I set a bowl of fruit on my desk at the office. Sometimes, grapes, sometimes strawberries. Clementines are a big hit!
    Co-workers have even started to contribute to the "fruit fund"!

Open office/cubicles. Funny thing is that I use a spare cubicle as our coffee/break area. Bring in K-cups/tea/cocoa/etc. Don't really get a lot of help with that. But as I said I like to share! I do have a small refrig set up but I don't want to fill it with snacks as we need every cubic inch we can get for lunches (main refriges provided in the lunch room are both full and sometimes nasty).
  • angies_getting_healthy
    Options
    Graze is a great option
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    String Cheese, Fiber One Bars (Delicious, but try them on a weekend first to see how your body reacts. Some people can be quite gassy from them), Jerky, Clementines, 100 Calorie Popcorn
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    100 calorie coco roasted almonds
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars are my faaaave. 90 cals, good boost of fiber, delicious flavours. My favourite is Cinnamon Bun.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy what I want and portion it out in ziploc bags over the weekend. But I've bought or at least seen quite a few prepackaged/portioned snacks below (not including items that need refrigeration):

Fiber One/Special K/etc. cereal bars
    Protein bars
    There are tons of preportioned options for crackers, nuts, popcorn, chips, etc. at the grocery.
    Jerky (this is one you might be able to find prepackaged in small portions but might need to weight out individual portions from a larger bag, depending on what you can find at the store)
    Applesauce cups
    Dole fruit cups

As for sweets, I've noticed that both Atkins and Weight Watchers brands have a pretty decent variety of prepackaged/portioned sweets in the snack and cookie isles. I've seen cookies, candy, crackers, brownies, etc. There are also non-refrigerated jello and pudding cups.

There are also whole fruits that don't require refrigeration of course - apples, oranges, pears, etc.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like smartfood, pre-portioned nuts (Emerald makes 100 cal packs), Special K meal bars, Fiber One 90 cal bars.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is what I keep at my desk in a drawer:

Trail mix (2 different kinds one sweet one spicy)
    Popchips (100 calorie bags)
    instant oatmeal (120-160 calories depending on flavor)
    instant grits (100 calories)
    Nutrigrain bars (120 cal)
    Protein Bars (I like Pure Protein 180-200 cal and MyBar 220 cal)
    PBFit to mix with water for celery
    Protein Powder (Found a kind I like mixed with water so when I'm really lagging I can just mix one up)
    Fiber One bars
    Other granola bars

If I have fridge/freezer space:
    Green Giant single serve veggies like broccoli and cheese or cauliflower and cheese, brussel sprouts, etc just Microwave and eat.
    Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    String Cheese

I have a lot of desk/office space so I devote a lot of space to buying snacks in bulk at Sam's Club or Costco and then just leave them. I bought a food scale for $6 and leave it on my desk so I can weigh out my portion of trail mix or whatever I want.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Wasa crackers with one packet of Barney almond butter, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    String cheese, pepperoni & a small container of pizza or marinara sauce. Can be kept in an insulated lunch box. Freeze a bottle of water to keep the cheese cold.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I like Lara mini bars. They are between 90-110 calories. They havelarger ones that are 200 calories but I found the minis are just right for me for a snack.

I recently tried these crackers, cheese and meat snack things which have 310 calories. They are not cheap and have a lot of sodium but are a good mini meal on the go. I got them at Target and there are a few different brands including their generic.

I also tried crunch pack vegetable/crackers and dip which I really liked. I think they were total 180 calories. You could make that up yourself if you have the time.

I cannot make anything like this myself because I would buy a box of crackers, cold cuts and veggies and eat up the meat and crackers before I made up the snacks or would eat up all the snacks in the baggies! Having it prepared and packaged isexpensive but it works for me.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Do you want sweet or salty?

The most obvious option i would think is going to be fruit. An apple, a banana, oranges, peaches, plums, pears, etc. are all cheap and easy options.

There's nuts and seeds like peanuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc. If you want to go this route i recommend you buy a large bulk bag and then portion/weigh out individual ziploc bags for the week. Tasty, easy, again reasonably priced.

If you're really just the type of person who has to eat something processed then:
    • sugar free jello / pudding
    • baked chips
    • pre-popped popcorn
    • pretzels
    • fiber one bars
    • protein bars
    • a plethora of "100 calorie snack pack" varieties
    • dry cereals in individual portions
  • nsprieg
    nsprieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Time to go shopping! I picked up some of the 100 cal Emerald nuts last night. Pretty good. While I was there I also pucked up some mandarin oranges and (more as I already buy them) bananas. I will have to look around and see what is available.