Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

Options

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know...the whole thought just makes me feel a little squirrelly inside. I can't quite put my finger on why.

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    They'll figure it out with the taste. What's not mentioned here is that it will be practically hormone free, antibiotic free and chances of parasites or any organisms invading are pretty much nil. That's a big plus. And again how much less water, food and waste will be eliminated to raise cattle?
    I'd actually eat it to check it out. I've had bland food when I used to compete so I probably won't be that surprised.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

this pretty much sums up how i feel about it. i haven't had meat since i was 11, but i would go all in for a tasty lab substitute that was ethically sound and environmentally sustainable.

veggie burgers are great, veggie chicken is alright, i have never met an acceptable veggie steak.
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    roserly wrote: »
    roserly wrote: »
    Yes, things change and people change. But I will not eat lab grown meat - even if it becomes normal.
    Remember when they used to have LEADED gas? Then they stopped making it. Your choice then was to use unleaded gas and that was it. So, if their was NOTHING but lab grown meat that was chicken, beef, pork, etc (and you never know) you'd end up being a vegetarian?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Uh yes. Lol. I can make my own decisions and I can stand by them. I doubt however that there would be no meat other than lab meat - but if so, yes I would be vegetarian. :)

May I ask why you object so strongly to the idea of meat that isn't created by the death of an animal?

Gladly. Its not real meat. It didnt come from a living animal. Its fake. I would not knowingly ever eat lab grown meat. Why are people so bothered that I answered the thread question honestly and want me to just say 'yes' like most here?
  • fittmack
    fittmack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If it's free of bacteria then it might be worth it. Doesn't seem like it would taste very good though.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The day they only "grow" meat will be the day I turn into a vegetarian lol
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If it tasted the same and cost the same or was cheaper, yes!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I'd still give my eating habits a name to differentiate myself from others.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Unlikely. I went vegetarian for ethical reasons. Although this would address those reasons, my digestive health has never been better.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd trust the meat to have the same nutritional quality as naturally occurring meat. No liver, no glands, is the meat going to be the same without input from the rest of the body?

I'd like to first go after invasive species. If something needs to be hunted to local extinction, the human appetite is a great tool. If it is something we can't eat or is unappetizing, it could still go to making fertilizer or something.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I'd like to first go after invasive species.

oooh! move over here and eat all our european chafer beetles for us \o/

• thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If they can make it tasty and a good price, then yes. I'm a vegetarian because I don't like harming animals, but my mouth waters when I smell meat being cooked. Humans are naturally omnivores, but whilst I can just about bring myself to eat fish, I can't eat meat.
  • 5Months2fit
    5Months2fit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, 100%. I don't mind if it doesn't taste as good as traditional meat. The fact it would prevent killing animals is good enough for me.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it myself (i've never really cared for meat, even when I was an omnivore), but I'd strongly welcome it as a good alternative for those who want the taste of animal protein without the ethical considerations of having to kill sentient creatures for your taste preferences.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    They'll figure it out with the taste. What's not mentioned here is that it will be practically hormone free, antibiotic free and chances of parasites or any organisms invading are pretty much nil. That's a big plus. And again how much less water, food and waste will be eliminated to raise cattle?
    I'd actually eat it to check it out. I've had bland food when I used to compete so I probably won't be that surprised.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

this pretty much sums up how i feel about it. i haven't had meat since i was 11, but i would go all in for a tasty lab substitute that was ethically sound and environmentally sustainable.

veggie burgers are great, veggie chicken is alright, i have never met an acceptable veggie steak.

So what do we do with all the cows in the world?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So what do we do with all the cows in the world?

Consider supply-and-demand. As more and more people shifted to lab-grown meat to replace meat from slaughtered cows (assuming this happened), fewer cows would be bred by farmers. The cows already brought into the world to be killed for meat would still be killed for meat, there would just be fewer new cows to take their place.

It's why, for example, we don't have thousands of horses clogging the streets even though people in the US used to use them for transportation but then switched to cars.

I wonder what it would do to the dairy industry? Just thinking about the cattle side. Remember, we don't eat cows, just steers.

If dairy is still as popular, we'd still have cattle for milk production. But the males would probably be slaughtered young (veal) except for those few destined to be bulls. No sense putting the money into raising the steers to slaughter size if there is lab-grown meat to replace them, so the males would be killed off pretty young. Yes, it would reduce the resources needed for cattle, but maybe by half (or less).

Same could be said for chicken and eggs if people still want eggs.
  • nataliecg926
    nataliecg926 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would definitely eat it if it tasted the same and was similarly priced to traditional meat, yum cruelty free steak get in my belly (I eat meat for most of my meals arleady, but agree that this would be the best alternative going forward in the modern age)