Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

Options

Replies

• 5Months2fit
    5Months2fit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm very excited for this!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Can you grill it, or will they just artificially include the grill marks? Sounds yummy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Can you grill it, or will they just artificially include the grill marks? Sounds yummy.

Lab-grown meat would be meat. You could choose to grill it just as you can choose to grill meat from a slaughtered animal.

Do they artificially include grill marks on the meat you're buying right now?
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Lab-grown meat would be meat. You could choose to grill it just as you can choose to grill meat from a slaughtered animal.

Nope. Growing meat from a single cell in a petrie dish just doesn't sound appetizing. I suppose I could adjust though. Once we have controlled the slaughter of animals to feed humankind, we can probably start working our way down the food chain and stop wild animals from eating each other as well.
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse and I love the science aspect of things and I think this is such a brilliant idea! safe for the animals. I know some people are like ew artificial meat.... but think about it. the original cells (stem cells) are taken from a cow, so the cell is a live cell, not artificial. this live cell is then placed in an environment with all the essential nutrients it needs to continue to grow. this non artificial cell (back to the beginning archived from a real animal and essentially grown. taken from the host and moved to surrogate, ie the essential environment). can continue to multiply (because that what cells do, if any one has taken anatomy/ physiology, pathophysiology, and microbiology! I know sounds super fun right ) so this cell essentially is raised and grown to the burger patty it aspired to be! and is now ready to be eaten. it is healthier. no over run with steroids or antibiotics, or whatever else they put into food for mass production for this ever growing population. personally, I totally approve!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I hope I live long enough for them to go mainstream...
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Nope. Growing meat from a single cell in a petrie dish just doesn't sound appetizing. I suppose I could adjust though. Once we have controlled the slaughter of animals to feed humankind, we can probably start working our way down the food chain and stop wild animals from eating each other as well.

I can understand that. It seems that many meat eaters do have an initial emotional/disgust-based response when they think of eating lab-grown meat. If this is what you're experiencing, you certainly aren't the only one.

I'm not sure what the eating habits of animals in the wild have to do with it. As a human, I'm accustomed to expecting more from myself and those around me than we typically expect from animals in terms of moral/ethical reasoning and behavior. We don't typically don't excuse things like forced sex or infanticide because they are common in some animal communities. What we expect from ourselves, as a species, has historically been quite different from what we expect of animals who don't appear to share our capacity for moral reasoning.

We'll see what happens. I'm not a hunter. Not going to go out and hunt my meals as an alternative to eating lab-grown meat. Probably not going to come to fruition in my lifetime anyways. I'm 63.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I can understand that. It seems that many meat eaters do have an initial emotional/disgust-based response when they think of eating lab-grown meat. If this is what you're experiencing, you certainly aren't the only one.

I'm not sure what the eating habits of animals in the wild have to do with it. As a human, I'm accustomed to expecting more from myself and those around me than we typically expect from animals in terms of moral/ethical reasoning and behavior. We don't typically don't excuse things like forced sex or infanticide because they are common in some animal communities. What we expect from ourselves, as a species, has historically been quite different from what we expect of animals who don't appear to share our capacity for moral reasoning.

For me, it comes down to mostly cost.

I don't cringe at the thought of killing or butchering to eat. I don't like the idea of mistreating the animal before or during, But I don't see eating meat or not as a moral question while I respect those who do.

If I could grow my own steak in the fridge, certainly I'd be in favor, although the reality is that inexpensive lab grown meat would lead to the extinction of most breeds of domestic livestock.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

For me, it comes down to mostly cost.

I don't cringe at the thought of killing or butchering to eat. I don't like the idea of mistreating the animal before or during, But I don't see eating meat or not as a moral question while I respect those who do.

If I could grow my own steak in the fridge, certainly I'd be in favor, although the reality is that inexpensive lab grown meat would lead to the extinction of most breeds of domestic livestock.

Okay, the idea of a little fridge-based station that grows your meat for you . . . that's genius!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    No problem if they manage to make it cheap enough and taste better. It is an attempt at a cruelty free, sustainable food source. If they can succeed with tbat, why wouldn't I try it?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    No problem if they manage to make it cheap enough and taste better. It is an attempt at a cruelty free, sustainable food source. If they can succeed with tbat, why wouldn't I try it?

Apparently, they're still trying to pinpoint the taste. It currently resides in the "uncanny valley". I wonder if I would like it better than slaughter meat at this stage because there is something about meat that doesn't appeal to me.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

Apparently, they're still trying to pinpoint the taste. It currently resides in the "uncanny valley". I wonder if I would like it better than slaughter meat at this stage because there is something about meat that doesn't appeal to me.

Best and first seen use of uncanny valley in reference to food.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I would absolutely not eat this lab grown meat or anything gmo if all possible. What people fail to understand is how these engineered foods can affect and irreparibly harm the genetics of you during your life and generations after you. For example GMO soy in rat studies has shown decreasing fertility each generation until the babies are eventually sterile. See articles on naturalnews.com. As the food supply continues to be polluted dna and epigenetic damage will be the result. Eating this stuff has far reaching inter-generational consequences. The best weapon is information, I reccomend you do your research.

What studies are you referring to here?

You realize that lab-grown meat wouldn't necessarily be genetically modified, right?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not eat this lab grown meat or anything gmo if all possible. What people fail to understand is how these engineered foods can affect and irreparibly harm the genetics of you during your life and generations after you. For example GMO soy in rat studies has shown decreasing fertility each generation until the babies are eventually sterile. See articles on naturalnews.com. As the food supply continues to be polluted dna and epigenetic damage will be the result. Eating this stuff has far reaching inter-generational consequences. The best weapon is information, I reccomend you do your research.

Food has been genetically modified for generations and the planet is still over crowded, so I find that danger highly unlikely to be true.

naturalnews is a conspiracy theory website. Snopes could spin off an entirely new website just debunking everything naturalnews publishes.

On a positive note, I think once Bigfoot finally reveals himself, he'll be supportive of lab grown meat, as a self preservation tactic.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Food has been genetically modified for generations and the planet is still over crowded, so I find that danger highly unlikely to be true.

naturalnews is a conspiracy theory website. Snopes could spin off an entirely new website just debunking everything naturalnews publishes.

On a positive note, I think once Bigfoot finally reveals himself, he'll be supportive of lab grown meat, as a self preservation tactic.

I'd suggest millennia, but that doesn't invalidate your point.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I just can't wrap my mind around buying and eating a lab grown steak... I would imagine the flavor and texture would be off. Muscle mass that is grown and developed on a living thing has to taste different then a piece of muscle somehow grown in a lab. Although, on one hand the fact that everything is controlled in a lab setting it could turn out to be more flavorful and tender than any steak we could imagine. I would imagine ground meat would be easier to get a similar texture. But with the word "lab created" I have this mental image of going to the supermarket and picking up this square piece of pink meat in a shrink wrapped package. The front of the package says Happy Cow, Cruelty-Free Meat Product: Roast style- Beef Flavor. There is a picture of a Chibi Anime style cartoon cow smiling. Next to the item I see a sign that reads "Now with more of the beef flavor that you love! Also try our new Pork Meat!" I imagine the ingredients list on the back would be say something like "Lab grown meat, water, salt, preservatives to enhance shelf life, red color 40, & natural flavor" That just doesn't sound appetizing, lol. Not saying I wouldn't try it, I'll try anything new. I'm just not sure about it, lol.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I just can't wrap my mind around buying and eating a lab grown steak... I would imagine the flavor and texture would be off. Muscle mass that is grown and developed on a living thing has to taste different then a piece of muscle somehow grown in a lab. Although, on one hand the fact that everything is controlled in a lab setting it could turn out to be more flavorful and tender than any steak we could imagine. I would imagine ground meat would be easier to get a similar texture. But with the word "lab created" I have this mental image of going to the supermarket and picking up this square piece of pink meat in a shrink wrapped package. The front of the package says Happy Cow, Cruelty-Free Meat Product: Roast style- Beef Flavor. There is a picture of a Chibi Anime style cartoon cow smiling. Next to the item I see a sign that reads "Now with more of the beef flavor that you love! Also try our new Pork Meat!" I imagine the ingredients list on the back would be say something like "Lab grown meat, water, salt, preservatives to enhance shelf life, red color 40, & natural flavor" That just doesn't sound appetizing, lol. Not saying I wouldn't try it, I'll try anything new. I'm just not sure about it, lol.

When my husband buys ground beef from the supermarket, it's usually square meat in a shrink-wrapped package. There are sometimes pictures of cows or bucolic farm images on his meat. There are sometimes promotional message on the package touting the flavor of the meat or even encouraging the consumer to try other products. Sometimes I notice that things like salt or natural flavors are added to meat products. Depending on the style of meat, there can be preservatives too.

So basically, I'm having trouble seeing why a specific promotional and packaging strategy that you imagine for a brand of lab-grown meat would turn you off when each thing you cited is currently used for at least some forms of meat today.

When lab-grown meat hits the market, I imagine there would be some competition and consumers would be free to support the companies that had marketing and ingredients they liked and avoid the ones they disliked, just as they do for meat today. Since it would be just meat, there's no reason to think there would be things like salt and natural flavoring added (unless it was to match a meat product that currently has those added).

When I imagine using lab-grown meat, I imagine myself . . . using some meat.