success story!!!! how much have you lost?

Options
2»

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Thirty-five pounds in about six or seven months, averaging about five pounds a month. Slow weightloss is what I'm aiming for. Cutting back on the amount of food I eat (seriously, I can't believe I used to eat platters the size of my face...), excercising even a little bit, and watching my amount of not-natural sugars. I still eat what I want...as long as: 1. it's not ridiculous-honey buns are what got me in trouble, and now i realize that they're too sweet anyway, yech!, 2. it's not set up in a huge way-if I'm looking at something and its large enough to make my brain go WTF!...that is an automatic NO., and 3. I acknowledge that certain foods are just going to make me feel either guilty/sick/combination of the two...so i avoid them except for special occasions...and even then dont usually finish them.

Cardio is your friend. Start with thirty minutes. It now feels weird if I don't do any form of movement for at least an hour.

And remember that the whole thing is a learning process. The scale is nice, but a measuring tape and the fit of your clothes can tell you more than that.

Weightloss is nothing more than a game in which x + y + a-bunch-of-random-new-variables-INCLUDING-z = shrinking! :laugh:
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Hi - I started at 5'4.... 215... I started the last day of Feb (of this year 2011) today is Aug 7th and I have lost 51 LBS!

(and yes I am still 5'4 :wink: )
  • amk42009
    Options
    I started right after I had my youngest baby (march2011) and so far I have lost 37 pounds. I started at 204 and right now I am 167 but I will want to go down another 27 pounds to 140..thats my short term goal..when I get there, then I will figure out what i want to do.

I havent been working out as much as I should but I have been watching what I eat and thats been making a big difference by itself.
  • WATRD
    WATRD Posts: 25
    Options
    Last Christmas, I found that my favorite suit no longer fit and I had to scramble to find a substitute. The scale stared back at me in accusatory fashion and it was time to face facts. At 206lbs and 5'10", the suit was plainly not shrinking, as I had handily explained away the snugness the year before...

That very next week, I began to gently scale back calories in the least painful ways I could. I don't get along well with feeling deprived. Skipping snacks and eating slightly smaller portions over the coming weeks began to have have the desired effect, albeit VERY slowly. The scale began to reverse it's course, a fraction of a pound at a time.

Eventually, last March or so, I tripped across MFP and began to track what I was eating. Just seeing it "on paper" really worked for me. I could SEE immediate consequences for what I consumed. Once I was watching that, it was a bit of a game to sneak a little exercise in, here and there, not enough to resent it, but enough to see the scale speed up the decline I had been seeing.

I was hooked. Eventually that bit extra walking turned into walking just to walk. Then to some running. Then to time on the elliptical machine. Finally to where I am now, with 40 minutes of cardio five days a week, plus 20 minutes of mixed weight training. On weekends, I run. Sometimes it's just five miles Saturday, then five miles on Sunday. Other weekends, it's seven or eight miles on Saturday and a half-marathon or better on Sunday, just for good measure.

I have slowed down my weight loss pace with the amount of muscle I am building, but once my BMI was back on the scale, it became a challenge to improve my body fat ratio. Sometime in the next month or two or so, I will hit my final goal, which will have me in the green and healthy range for every metric I am aware of. At that mark, I will have lost 1/4 of my total body weight.

My doctor was speechless when he saw me and just kept stammering about how much healthier I am now, in every metric HE has. BP is now very healthy, blood sugar is normal, cholesterol is waaaay down, pulse is steady at just over half what it was...

All very good signs. Even better, I sleep well, I feel better and I feel strong and healthy. I plan to gain back a few pounds as I add muscle, but I will continue to keep the body fat at the athletic end of the scale this time. I watch what I eat, but avoid feeling deprived of anything I want. This is a marathon, not a sprint and I can stop and smell the roses along the way without losing sight of the goal.

Who knew, the journey of a thousand miles really does begin with a single step. Go figure.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    I have post in the success section called 37lb loss! Take a look
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25lbs since January. I started out mainly with just walking. I got to where I was walking between 5-10 miles per day. Then I started running in place, because I lived in a small apartment in a very unsafe neighborhood and my roommate wouldn't go running with me. Now that I'm back in my parents' house, I do the elliptical all of the time. I do a ton of cardio. I just started Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred the other day.
  • KierstyPants
    KierstyPants Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started Jan 2010. I am down 218 lbs and she is down 121 lbs. We have come a long way and realize you need to take it one day at at time.

WOW.
    that's amazing...

and i've lost 50 since january.
    eh, not that great haha.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I started on losing weight in april of 2010 lost 31 pounds,and then in August 2010 I upped my calories a bit to maintain while I had some stuff going on.Started back up in January of this year all in all now ive lost 59 pounds.I started out in april of 2010 going to the gym 6 days a week cutting soda and eating 1200 calories a day.I would do cardio for 1 hour atleast everyday.In January I started weight training.

This is me at 230 pounds
    100_0081.jpg

and this is me at 185 ive since lost 15 more pounds

IMAG0200.jpg

I also every 10 or 15 pounds lost stop and mantaine for a month or so,i think its really helped me not having any lose skin
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started two months ago (June 6th) and almost right away (June 13th) I fell and broke my knee and did some ligament damage. Spent 5 weeks on crutches and 6-7 weeks unable to work out at all...I have lost 20 lbs with all that going on! I started out at 240 and am now 219.6!

There are times when it just feels silly and well why not have those french fries. But you can resist and continue this battle. I read a quote a couple weeks ago and it's stuck with me...a year from now you'll wish you started today. You just have to know it works. and it does work!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks into my weight loss journey and have lost 17lbs so far. I've been counting my calories, limiting my carbs and exercising 3-4 days a week. Good luck!
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I started January 15th 2011, SW: 198, CW: 141,4, ( so 57 lbs loss) Eating clean mincavi style, exercice: did wii active 1, 2, c25k, I run 1 5k wkly, Insanity Grad, now in JM 30SD.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started in January of this year to change the way I eat...I am not on a diet I have changed the way I think about food....
    I eat healthier and exercise at least 5 days per week...I do Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's and spinning classes.
    I never deprive myself of anything just eat in moderation....the only thing I gave up is sodas and I don't miss them at all :smile:

To date I have lost 46lbs and still have more to go but since I joined MFP I have lost 30lbs!!!

Good luck!!!
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... I started in January weighing in at 309, and as of today, I have lost 25 pounds, and now weigh in at 283.2. It has been a long journey for me already, and I had gained a few pounds back during this time, which I have almost all the way back down (the lowest I got to was 282.3). It is definately a struggle, but I have faith that you can do this, and will rock it out! Good luck!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    hi people, i just need some encouragement.
    please tell me what you have been doing to lose the weight and how long did it take? and how many lb or kg did you lose?
    thanks for reading
    I have mainly been eating under a certain amount of calories (it ranges between 1200-1600 on any given day), 100 grams of carbs or less, and staying under 25 grams of sugar. Of course, there are days that I falter. I also fast for 1 day every 3-4 weeks (or whenever my cravings get really bad) and that helps me to get back in control of my cravings. My exercise usually consists of walking and I only do it maybe 2-3 times a week although there are some weeks I don't do it at all :(. I started February 21st and have lost 46 pounds the last time I weighed on July 26th. I still have about 43 more pounds to go until my goal. I lost 4 dress sizes, 5 inches on my waist, and 4 inches on my hips.

Good luck on getting to your goal. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!