LATE NIGHT SNACKING

Options
I have this horrible need to eat late at night. After everyone else is asleep, I find my mind engulfed in the middle of food. After awhile, I just give in and eat. Last night it was a cheese burger and fries. I have tried to distract myself with, TV. But, but those dang food commercials. You get it. So I watch Netflix. It helps until I want something to eat with the movie. My mind just takes me over. I need help, suggestions or whatever. Thanks for taking the time.

Replies

• pattilindley
    pattilindley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I struggle with late night eating also. It helps to not keep anything in the house to binge on. Make it a rule not to eat after dinner at all. An accountability partner helps. If you know you will have to tell someone else the next day it can nip the urge in the bud. I have lite popcorn and flavored rice cakes so that if I just have to snack I at least don't blow it too bad. It is really a habit, not a need for me. So I'm trying to break that habit. Yep it's hard but we can do it.
  • JanieC93
    JanieC93 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’m honestly in the same boat! Lately I’ve been struggling with “bored eating”... it’s so hard! I try to keep myself on track by not eating after 9pm... I know I’m going to snack after dinner so I limit myself to only low cal stuff like grapes, carrots, stuff like that!

Send me a request if you want too! We can help each other out - whenever you’re on a tempted bender send me a message!
  • Nikki542687
    Nikki542687 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are both serial late night snackers as well. We are also former smokers and this has really contributed to our bad habits. As a result, I gained 70lbs since I quit smoking 3 years ago. I have since lost a few pounds but like you, I am struggling with the late night eating. Sometimes dinners end up being late due to our busy lifestyles and I really want to get a hold on it. At the moment I am 273lbs and my ending goal is 160lbs due to my height (5'4). It is so tough when the hubby is eating something late night and offers some of his snack. Last night was those evil Girl Scout cookies. I slipped up last night and had a few. I was so upset with myself being that I managed for a week straight not to do this! But I have to be real with myself and understand that this is deeper than just late night eating for me. It has some to do with depression, anxiety, and other factors I previously mentioned. I would suggest that if you cannot stay away from late night snacking, stick to things like popcorn, low fat/nonfat yogurt, or look up some ideas for low cal/low fat late night snacks. I am arming myself with some peanuts, almonds, cashews, and yogurt just in case I start to feel like I cannot go without a snack. I totally understand how hard it is. Maybe we can share some healthy late night snack ideas? Make this a go to guide so you can find an alternative to a cheeseburger and fries (or my Girl Scout cookies) in the middle of the night. I think that would personally help myself. If you think this will help you, I will share some articles that I found with some ideas :smile:
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    You might be more motivated by accountability. There's a "no late night snacking" challenge on the forums you might want to join:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10626508/say-no-to-late-night-snacking-january-2018-challenge#latest
  • EricRSRCP
    EricRSRCP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have this horrible need to eat late at night. After everyone else is asleep, I find my mind engulfed in the middle of food. After awhile, I just give in and eat. Last night it was a cheese burger and fries. I have tried to distract myself with, TV. But, but those dang food commercials. You get it. So I watch Netflix. It helps until I want something to eat with the movie. My mind just takes me over. I need help, suggestions or whatever. Thanks for taking the time.

I have the same problem except I have NES and eat in my sleep. Sucks so much!
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My trick for this is to go to bed pretty early if I stay up watching tv, reading, or even doing work I know I'll eventually want to snack on something, and if I have to be up, I snack on low cal snacks like popcorn or freeze-dried fruits, and coffee.
  • Kigreh
    Kigreh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My sollution to this was to start with removing the guilt from the late night snack. I would either leave part of dinner for my late night snack, or if dinner was less substantial leave some calories on my budget to snack with. If you know the cravings are coming prepare something, that is likely to be a much healthier meal than if you try for nothing, break and just grab whatever you can.

Of course in the long term you probably want to have a look at improving your sleeping patterns (If this is an option and you late nights is not work related or other things that force it), but being angry with yourself all the time for the night snacks is unlikely to help with this process.

TLDR: Short term remove the damage the snacking is doing to your diet plan, then long term look to remove the snacking.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories for a snack or just go to bed earlier?
  • rowenasdream
    rowenasdream Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the deal. I haven't been eating enough calories. And, we go to bed around 8. LOL!
  • rowenasdream
    Options
    How do I friend request?
  • rowenasdream
    Options
    I figured it out! The friend request thing.