My bad habit - eating "seconds"

Options
2»

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a smaller serving first, or my second serving is only veggies. Sometimes if im really hungry and ive already had my dinner serving ill microwave some frozen veggies (typically green beans) add a little balsamic vinegar and it satisfies me.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Think about getting a smaller plate the first time around. Smaller plate = smaller portion. Then the "seconds" would make it the second half of ONE meal.
  • jleathe
    jleathe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This thread has been very helpful as I have the same problem. Last night I did something I don't usually do, and I'm thinking it could be a good trend to continue. I sliced up a bunch of veggies (celery, carrots and cucumbers), left it on the cutting board and put it at the center of the table. All the rest of the meal was left on the island. That way, it encouraged us to nibble and pick at more veggies throughout the meal and after. I think there is something to getting up for "seconds" that has to do with wanting to linger in the eating process because of a long day and finally being able to relax. One question I have is when to allow a little treat (even fruit) as your final snack of the day. Is that right after dinner, even if you eat dinner before 6 p.m.? I don't like to eat a treat completely separate and hours after dinner, because then I just have more room for it and feel less satisfied. So, I'm thinking that having that sweet would be best at dinner time, and if dinner time was extra early and you need another snack...then make it something more healthy like peanut butter and apples, a handleful of nuts and popcorn, or whatever you have room for in your calorie budget.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    jleathe wrote: »
    This thread has been very helpful as I have the same problem. Last night I did something I don't usually do, and I'm thinking it could be a good trend to continue. I sliced up a bunch of veggies (celery, carrots and cucumbers), left it on the cutting board and put it at the center of the table. All the rest of the meal was left on the island. That way, it encouraged us to nibble and pick at more veggies throughout the meal and after. I think there is something to getting up for "seconds" that has to do with wanting to linger in the eating process because of a long day and finally being able to relax. One question I have is when to allow a little treat (even fruit) as your final snack of the day. Is that right after dinner, even if you eat dinner before 6 p.m.? I don't like to eat a treat completely separate and hours after dinner, because then I just have more room for it and feel less satisfied. So, I'm thinking that having that sweet would be best at dinner time, and if dinner time was extra early and you need another snack...then make it something more healthy like peanut butter and apples, a handleful of nuts and popcorn, or whatever you have room for in your calorie budget.

Things like that are going to be quite individual. You can experiment, figure out what works best for you.

You say you'd prefer to eat it with dinner, because you'd be more satisfied with something small then, vs. as a later standalone. Maybe try it that way first, see how it goes for you? (Some other people might feel like it was more of an evening snack or treat if they ate it later separately, so prefer that - that's what I'm talking about when I say it's individual.)

I think that personalizing our calorie-management strategies is a key factor for success. Some things (like basic nutritional needs) are somewhat universal, but details of enjoyable eating style and satiation are quite individual. We each have different preferences, attitudes, strengths, challenges . . . tailoring our tactics to those makes weight-management success easier to achieve.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »
    Update, it's been a week and i have not reached for any seconds!! I also finally bought a scale so now i know how much pasta i can actually have, and there is no jamming extra into the measuring cup anymore, haha. Oh the things i did to cheat myself....

I was so happy when I got a food scale and no longer had to stress about how full the measuring cup was!

Oh, but I was sad when I realized how small 2 T of peanut butter was :disappointed: and almost immediately stopped eating my PB, banana, chocolate protein powder smoothies :disappointed:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    I only eat lunch and dinner. No breakfast. Done this for decades now and have pretty much maintained the same weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png