Starting....Again! Anyone else out there a Type 1 Diabetic trying to watch carbs?

Options
Hi Everyone! I have started on myfitnesspal again today. I need to lose 30 pounds but my main purpose coming back is to try to control my Type 1 Diabetes better then I have been. Counting carbs! My goal is to have 30 carbs per meal. Anyone have some suggestions that were successful?

Replies

• gkfit59
    gkfit59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I should also note that I am a 65 year old female.
  • Resolutionss2018
    Resolutionss2018 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey just new on here was reading peoples messages and came across yours. I’m not sure if this will help but my friends type 1 diabetic and she found keto an amazing help to her. Sooo that being said if you look up keto recipes you should get a ton of low carb delious recipes.
  • gkfit59
    gkfit59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I asked my PA about the Keto plan and she advised me not to do it because I need more carbs then that. So that was confusing! Thanks for the post though.
  • hwilli14
    hwilli14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes type 1 and celiac. I gained 15 lb when I started insulin and gluten free diet at the same time. I’m trying to keep below 1200 cals a day and reduce the amount of insulin I take before meals. I’m down to 1 or 2 units per meal.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here - the first thing I recommend is adding a fiber column to your diary so you can easily calculate net carbs.

For an insulin dependent diabetic like yourself, not all carbs are equal. You want slow digesting carbs which don't spike you, but keep you from going hypo. Figure out through testing what types of carbs keep your glucose most constant. For me that's steel cut oats - I have oatmeal with nut butter every morning. Legumes and root vegetables are other slow carbs.

Do you have any insight into which meals you are eating too many carbs at now? It's hard to make recommendations without knowing which foods are tempting you to go over.