What to eat!

Options
Can anyone help please. What are the best low calorie but filling meal. I'm not doing well and I'm really, really hungry?

Replies

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    One egg plus four egg whites and some salsa. One little piece of toast with a smidge of butter. Plus a whole tomato. It's my go to and keeps you nice and full for hours. It about 250 cals
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    Different people find different things filling.

If you're hungry, experiment with what and when you're eating to find a routine that better satisfies you.

Certainly, eat a sensible amount of protein and fat, for adequate nutrition. The MFP default goals are a reasonable starting point for most people; try to come close with protein and fat.

Beyond that, experiment. Some people find protein filling, some find fats filling, some need volume (often lots of fiber-rich veggies), some need complex carbs like potatoes or rice. Some people do best if they eat breakfast, some do better if they skip breakfast. Some budget calories for snacks during the day or evening, while others avoid snacks like the plague. Figure out what you need.

If you haven't tried the "lots of veggies" option yet, you might find the challenge linked below fun: Quite a number of participants have reported feeling really stuffed, even before reaching calorie goal. ;)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It's funny because the above poster suggested eggs, and they REALLY don't fill me up. A couple posts later the poster said to experiment to find what works for you. So that was my thought too.

You need to find foods you like to eat, that you can eat until you feel full, that still fit your calorie needs. Also, consider how often you need to eat to make you happy. I feel better eating several times throughout the day, some people like one or two big meals.

I like to find ways to combine protein, a bunch of veggies, and some sort of grain/pasta/bread. Then always have a favorite low-cal snack to get you through if you are "starving". Granola bars, fruit, cheese stick, etc. Seltzer/Mineral water is also a great calorie-free tummy filler thanks to those bubbles and helps in the chance that you are really thirsty instead of hungry.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Options
    Echoing what others are saying, experiment with different foods to see what works. Also if you're super hungry, consider your goal may be too aggressive and dial it back a bit. It's not necessary to be 1200cal miserable (or 1500 cal if you're a guy) to lose weight.
  • san1943
    san1943 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much but I'm my own worst enemy in not controlling my chocolate craving. All my own fault!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    san1943 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much but I'm my own worst enemy in not controlling my chocolate craving. All my own fault!

chocolate is not really that filling of a food. just saying you need fiber and protein to fill that hole.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My easy go to is either spaghetti hoops on toast (100 per slice + 100 for a half tin of hoops making a total of 300) or beans on toast for an extra 100 calories (400 total). I find carbs most filling, and I enjoy eating this as either breakfast or lunch (sometimes both don’t judge me!).
    Brands differ though - so definitely double check calories on these yourself as well.

I can usually make do with a yoghurt and coffee for breakfast (150 calories), beans on toast for lunch if I’m at home (+400) and that leaves me 600 - 700 for a heartier dinner - usually something like pasta or rice & veggies. I aim for around 1,200 most days.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like a big green salad with a weighed out protein. Today, I had mixed greens and some homemade pico de gallo with 120g sirloin strip, shredded Monterrey jack, some guac, and lime juice for the dressing. Came in around 420, with the protein making up the bulk of it.

But agreed. Play with it. I'm also less hungry when I am well hydrated.