Who do you trust?

Options
freerange
freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
I often wonder about this, especially as I’m about to shell out some hard-earned cash, how do you know who to trust. Do I trust my Medical Doctor? Do I trust some guy trying to sell me supplements? We all know studies can be skewed to fit your agenda. I try to use my BS meter, but con men are real good at making you believe. They take a grain of truth and turn it into the “secret” only they know and for a small sum they will share that with you?

But MD’s also seem to at times put money ahead of actual health. Take for instance, my cholesterol, last year I had a screening, it was on the high side of normal, but still in the range, so no big deal. I gained some weight and had it taken again this year and it was high. Without consulting me, the MD prescribed a drug for me to take. This seems od to me, shouldn’t she have talked to me first, shouldn’t we try a non-medicine approach first?

From what I read, (again how do you know) high fat does not cause high cholesterol nor does it cause heart disease, but many Doctors still recommend a low fat diet, why? Am I being fooled by the crowd that says high fat is ok, or is my doctor ignorant, or worse yet conspiring with drug companies?

I hate conspiracy theories, and laugh at people that say the government is covering up the real cure for cancer. But why is it we haven’t seen any real advances out of the medical profession when it comes to health and wellness?

Who do you trust?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I consider doctors to be like other groups of professionals -- some are trustworthy and some are not. Some are competent and some are not. If a doctor isn't meeting my expectations, I find another one who does.

Should you trust your medical doctor? I have no idea. I know that I trust my current doctor based on my research and past interactions with her.

When you conclude that we haven't see any real advances in the medical profession when it comes to health and wellness, what are you basing that on? I personally know people who are alive today as the result of medical treatment or interventions that they received, people who probably wouldn't be alive without the advantage of getting the treatment that they did. I also know people who are happier or more productive today as the result of medical treatment they received. I myself have been cured of ailments by medical treatment. I believe that medicine has made advances over the years and that many of us have benefited from these advances.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I trust my own research, and my trainer because what he tells me lines up with the research I've done.
  • freerange
    Options
    I consider doctors to be like other groups of professionals -- some are trustworthy and some are not. Some are competent and some are not. If a doctor isn't meeting my expectations, I find another one who does.

Should you trust your medical doctor? I have no idea. I know that I trust my current doctor based on my research and past interactions with her.

When you conclude that we haven't see any real advances in the medical profession when it comes to health and wellness, what are you basing that on? I personally know people who are alive today as the result of medical treatment or interventions that they received, people who probably wouldn't be alive without the advantage of getting the treatment that they did. I also know people who are happier or more productive today as the result of medical treatment they received. I myself have been cured of ailments by medical treatment. I believe that medicine has made advances over the years and that many of us have benefited from these advances.

I don't see any evidence that chronic disease is dropping. Most of the diet/lifestyle diseases are on the rise, as far as I can see. There hasn't been any new recommendations in diet in years, and we are still getting sick. From my "research" the fat myth has been exploded for years (fat causing heart disease) but MD's are still touting "low fat"

Yes there are many that are alive today because of the miracle of modern medicine, but there are many that are not.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    freerange wrote: »

I don't see any evidence that chronic disease is dropping. Most of the diet/lifestyle diseases are on the rise, as far as I can see. There hasn't been any new recommendations in diet in years, and we are still getting sick. From my "research" the fat myth has been exploded for years (fat causing heart disease) but MD's are still touting "low fat"

Yes there are many that are alive today because of the miracle of modern medicine, but there are many that are not.

Is it not at least possible that chronic diseases are on the rise because people are *disregarding* advice from health and dietary professionals (for example, to maintain a healthy body weight)? Medicine can only do so much (at least at the moment) if people choose to disregard advice until they are seriously ill (or even afterwards).

I'm not sure why we need "new recommendations" for diet, as there's little reliable evidence that the old recommendations (eat a varied diet with fruit and vegetables, maintain a healthy body weight, make sure you're meeting your needs for protein, fat, and fiber, etc) need to be jettisoned in favor of something new. We don't need "new recommendations" for other baselines like sufficient sleep or clean air, so I'm not sure why diet would be different.

I have never had a doctor recommend a low fat diet to me. If this is what your doctor is recommending to you and you don't think it's appropriate, maybe it's time to seek out a new doctor. Most of the dietary advice I read from experts acknowledges that fat is an important nutrient and that a low fat diet isn't appropriate or necessary for everyone.

When you say many are alive today because of the miracle of modern medicine but there are many that are not . . . who are you thinking of that isn't here because of modern medicine? Are we talking about medical errors or are you thinking of something else?
  • freerange
    Options

Is it not at least possible that chronic diseases are on the rise because people are *disregarding* advice from health and dietary professionals (for example, to maintain a healthy body weight)? Medicine can only do so much (at least at the moment) if people choose to disregard advice until they are seriously ill (or even afterwards).

I'm not sure why we need "new recommendations" for diet, as there's little reliable evidence that the old recommendations (eat a varied diet with fruit and vegetables, maintain a healthy body weight, make sure you're meeting your needs for protein, fat, and fiber, etc) need to be jettisoned in favor of something new. We don't need "new recommendations" for other baselines like sufficient sleep or clean air, so I'm not sure why diet would be different.

I have never had a doctor recommend a low fat diet to me. If this is what your doctor is recommending to you and you don't think it's appropriate, maybe it's time to seek out a new doctor. Most of the dietary advice I read from experts acknowledges that fat is an important nutrient and that a low fat diet isn't appropriate or necessary for everyone.

When you say many are alive today because of the miracle of modern medicine but there are many that are not . . . who are you thinking of that isn't here because of modern medicine? Are we talking about medical errors or are you thinking of something else?

Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals account for upwards of 150,000 deaths a year.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

What research have you seen to feel so strongly about this?

Remember folks like Malcolm Kendrick Denise Minger also have agendas.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    because people would rather take a pill to manage cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetes, rather than watching what they eat and working out.

does diet and exercise solve those things in every case? no, of course not. But for the majority of people, even if it didnt solve it totally, it would HELP it, thus the need for LESS medications.

But people dont want to do the work. We see posts here every hour asking about this or that for fast weight loss. a pill, a shake, stupid plastic wrap or drinking vinegar.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Doctors have a small amount of time with their patients are rarely have genuine relationships with the individuals they care for.

Think about the number of times someone goes to the doctor because their child has an ear infection. Now think about how many of them will be/are pissy when the doctor tells them that "overprescribing antibiotics is dangerous" and their child is "likely to get better on their own".

Or the number of people who go to the doctor with a virus and want medicine.

Or the number of individuals with high cholesterol, diabetes, family history of heart disease, etc. who are obese and have no intention of actually making a change.

It's usually a doctor's first line of response in the US to prescribe a statin because they are the most prescribed medication in the world with nearly 255.4 million prescriptions for lipitor, crestor, and others in 2010. Just think about that... the number of people whose cholesterol is high and who successfully lower their cholesterol through diet and exercise is not very high. Think about the number of individuals who are recommended to "eat better, lose the excess weight, exercise" who only get fatter and fatter every year.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but it's usually too much on the part of the physician to hope that you'll take the right steps to be an advocate for your own health. It may even be negligent on their part if they don't prescribe you a medication.

As far as your assumptions about cholesterol.... while there is some information about certain individuals not being affected by dietary cholesterol; that isn't true for many people. Many individuals cholesterol levels are directly impacted by their consumption of dietary cholesterol due to genetic factors like familial hypercholesterolemia.

In addition, there is a clear evidence that following the following recommendations CAN and DOES reduce cholesterol levels:
    • Eat a diet high in fiber, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
    • Lower or eliminate your consumption of dietary cholesterol, trans, and saturated fats.
    • More specifically limit the total calories from fats in your diet to 25–35% of energy intake, saturated fat to less than 7% of energy intake, and cholesterol to less than 200 mg per day.
    • Increase poly and mono unsaturated fats with sources like nuts, seeds, and fatty fish.
    • Maintain a healthy body weight, healthy waist/hip or chest/waist ratio, and exercise often.

I personally think there's an agenda on both sides. Theres' one on the "just take this statin and everything will be fine", there's one on the "you must eat extremely low fat", and there's one on the "fats and dietary cholesterol have absolutely no effect on LDL/HDL levels."

My advice would be to stick to the recommendations above that people have been using for YEARS to successfully lower and control cholesterol levels.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    And I don't mean to sound biased here, and this is just an anecdote, but... My entire family is obese. My grandfather died of heart disease, my grandmother has had a heart attack (and survived) but is on MANY statins/blood thinners, my 3 aunts all have diabetes and are all on statins or coumadin, my cousins all have a mixture of high cholesterol/diabetes/sleep apnea/asthma, etc.

My mom and I are the only individuals in my family (out of 30+ people) who are not overweight, obese, or have any issues with our health.

Are we just lucky considering our family clearly has a history of heart disease and obesity? Or is it because my mom eats a primarily plant based diet full of lentils, barley, bulgar, oats, beans, brown rice, greens, fruits, veggies, low-fat dairy like greek yogurt, and some fatty fish, (most similar to a Mediterranean diet) or the fact that i eat a purely vegetarian based diet (also full of the above just without the fish)? Is it only because we work out and are active and control calories?

One thing is for sure, with the US 's number one killer being heart disease and 10 out of 15 top killers being caused by dietary and lifestyle factors; I personally wont be taking the chance with my health.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Genetics are the major factor in various conditions like high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.

Unfortunately, genetics is an uncontrollable factor (so far) and people do not want to accept they are in a situation that cannot be cured but only managed. So they grab on to any hope.

Most of the hyped cures are BS.

Even a family with a history of heart disease can produce an offspring without the negative trait. Pure chance and good fortune.

In a family of four kids, one will have lots of cavities, one will have hardly any, the other two kids an average amount. Just luck or bad luck.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Genetics are the major factor in various conditions like high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.

Unfortunately, genetics is an uncontrollable factor (so far) and people do not want to accept they are in a situation that cannot be cured but only managed. So they grab on to any hope.

Even a family with a history of heart disease can produce an offspring without the negative trait. Pure chance and good fortune.

In a family of four kids, one will have lots of cavities, one will have hardly any, the other two kids an average amount. Just luck or bad luck.

This is totally true that genetics play a role, however..... for people who do have that genetic predisposition they aren't just screwed. And let's not pretend that everyone is dying of heart disease because it's just their "genetics" and not their unhealthy *kitten* lifestyle.

For people with a genetic predisposition to diabetes it's incredibly helpful to eat a high-fiber/calorie balanced diet and avoid heavily processed/refined sugars (especially things like soda). Plenty of exercise and a control in balancing blood sugar is helpful. ** Speaking for people who develop type 2 as a result of lifestyle factors. , Type 1 (what we really think of as "genetic" diabetes) is mainly down to possessing the HLA-DQA1, HLA-DQB1, and HLA-DRB1 genes.

For people with a predisposition for familial hypercholesterolemia eliminating dietary cholesterol is a must and many individuals are able to lower/reduce/maintain healthy cholesterol levels with this one lifestyle factor.

If things are still uncontrollable, then yes, you've done what you can and take whatever medication you can. But don't be a defeatist about it either.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »

This is totally true that genetics play a role, however..... for people who do have that genetic predisposition they aren't just screwed. And let's not pretend that everyone is dying of heart disease because it's just their "genetics" and not their unhealthy *kitten* lifestyle.

For people with a genetic predisposition to diabetes it's incredibly helpful to eat a high-fiber/calorie balanced diet and avoid heavily processed/refined sugars (especially things like soda). Plenty of exercise and a control in balancing blood sugar is helpful. ** Speaking for people who develop type 2 as a result of lifestyle factors. , Type 1 (what we really think of as "genetic" diabetes) is mainly down to possessing the HLA-DQA1, HLA-DQB1, and HLA-DRB1 genes.

For people with a predisposition for familial hypercholesterolemia eliminating dietary cholesterol is a must and many individuals are able to lower/reduce/maintain healthy cholesterol levels with this one lifestyle factor.

If things are still uncontrollable, then yes, you've done what you can and take whatever medication you can. But don't be a defeatist about it either.

"Management" of conditions.

• freerange
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

What research have you seen to feel so strongly about this?

Remember folks like Malcolm Kendrick Denise Minger also have agendas.

I don't like the word "research" to me it is misused by us laymen that just read others "research". I have read a lot, so there, I would guess most people here when they say research mean they have read a lot, also.

I can't point to anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure I have read that it is pretty well proven that dietary cholesterol does not have a direct affect on serum cholesterol. I also believe I read that there is no evidence that taking statins decrease your chance of dying from a heart attack.

To be fair I have also read that we get all the vitamins and minerals from the food we eat if we eat a FDA balanced diet. That vegans are healthier than meat eaters, that low fat diet is best, and high fat is best, that you can't regrow cartilage, and that you can, you get the point? Who do you trust? I bet with five minutes of goggle search I can find a peer-reviewed paper supporting each of these positions.

Not looking for debate here, just points of view as to how each of you decide what you believe.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I trust my doctor. I doctor shopped until I found one that I liked. She is very good about asking questions, will always suggest lifestyle changes over meds if the patient expresses willingness to follow her suggestions*. But I still search the internet for verification of things she tells me.

*Too many doctors suggest meds as the first line of treatment because they've become jaded by the number of patients that will not follow their advice. If you don't want this you should discuss it with your doctor. But be honest. If you don't intend to make the lifestyle changes suggested then just say so and take the meds.
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2018
    Options

Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals account for upwards of 150,000 deaths a year.

I think we can make a distinction between mistakes (which should be minimized, but happen in every profession) and an inherent problem with modern medicine which should cause us to conclude that we cannot trust any medical professionals.

For example, I've had mechanics be mistaken about what is wrong with my car and I've even had mechanics that I'm pretty sure were trying to rip me off. This doesn't cause me to conclude that everyone is lying to me about how cars work and there's actually a conspiracy to hide how they're really operating.

Do you not see this distinction?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb if it's on the internet: if it's "the secret", something "they don't want you to know", or "medical professionals are completely wrong about it" chances are it's fairy dust as presented, even if it has a grain of truth somewhere. On the flip side, if the article has words like may, could, possible, context, this and that for this specific group...etc, it warrants attention even if certain points sound weak.

Rule of thumb in general: I have a higher level of trust for a professional than a supplement salesperson, although there could be outliers on both sides. For very specific issues that can be very specifically quantified (like blood lipids in your example), I trust my own experience above all. Even research is a sum of averages. Most of it shows likelihood, not how that likelihood would apply to an individual. Sometimes more than one approach can improve a condition and it's not an either or, in this case it boils down to which one is easier for you to sustain.

Here is an example of how I approached information overload when I was diagnosed with prediabetes:
    Step 1:
    - My doctor suggested weight loss and/or medications.
    - A relative suggested a local herbalist who has concoctions.
    - I trust my doctor more, and random supplements without monitoring or knowing the side effects did not sound appealing.
    - The evidence is fairly high that weight loss can be beneficial for blood sugar.

Step 2:
    - The internet suggested a ketogenic diet is the best approach for weight loss if you have insulin resistance.
    - Logically, the evidence is fairly high that controlling carbs can be beneficial for blood sugar.
    - There is also evidence that weight loss may be enough and going ketogenic may not be necessary.
    - I tried the ketogenic diet, I did not do well on it. Despite some research showing a decrease in appetite in average I experienced the opposite. As it wasn't sustainable I decided against it.
    - I trusted my own experience, and instead of banging my head against the wall and doing something I know I won't be able to keep up, I focused on weight loss.
    - I lost weight and my blood sugar normalized, therefore, I believe in my case weight management alone is enough to manage blood sugar, at least for now, because it's confirmed by measurable experience which I trust the most.

Coincidentally, I got this in my inbox today. May not be about this exactly, but I thought some would find it interesting:
    http://3dmusclejourney.com/confidence/?__s=pgpjqw7df3sehsoqgf6s

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options

(Interesting analysis and insights snipped by reply-er)

Coincidentally, I got this in my inbox today. May not be about this exactly, but I thought some would find it interesting:
    http://3dmusclejourney.com/confidence/?__s=pgpjqw7df3sehsoqgf6s

Excellent link. Thank you for sharing it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally I look for multiple sources with the least bias. Generally if someone is selling a book or product they are less trustworthy spurce than a scientific study. If things make sense and are supported I feel I can trust it enough. I realize that information changes but some basics of a healthy lifestyle have not really- eat protein, vegetables/fruits, whole grains, be active, get enough sleep... moderation.
    I would trust a doctor to recommend a treatment. If I did not understand a treatment or wanted to discuss other options I would. I can seek a second opinion or switch to another doctor.
    Finally I look at my own experience and those I know. If real life results match what is being said then a source seems trustworthy.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I trust myself to think critically about the information I'm presented with. I try not give answers without thought and research, and I try to evaluate research the best I can taking into consideration bias and collective knowledge. And I try to teach others to do this instead of accepting an answer (including my own) at face value.

Doctors are likely still recommending a low-fat diet because it has helped a number of their patients combat heart disease, and most current guidelines suggest following a low-fat/low saturated fat/plant based diet. And they noticed patients who successfully followed it often lost weight. At this point, most physician treatment guidelines - like the American College of Physicians - suggest specific diets for treating comorbities like diabetes and not actual obesity itself.
    The ACP's patient education material for general obesity suggests that patients eat less and move more, eat lots of vegetables and fruits, focus on portion sizes, cook for yourself, etc. The "little changes" we often see on here, like switching from soda or juice to water. There's not enough significant research with guaranteed outcomes to generate a change in overall guidelines at this point in time, as it's very difficult to conduct well-designed nutrition and weight loss research in humans.

Most docs I know have no problems with fat, some like low-carb, some like the Mediterranean diet, some want you to eat a variety of everything. Doctors are humans. They deal with the same biases, financial incentives, anecdotal evidence, fads, and personal preferences the rest of us deal with - but hopefully they're critically evaluating and questioning both new and old information about health and medicine regularly.

As for cholesterol, physician guidelines were made more stringent in the last few years. Your doctor was likely following the recommended guidelines - https://www.aafp.org/patient-care/clinical-recommendations/all/cholesterol.html
    You still get to decide if you want to have a conversation or not take your meds though . . . .