Scanning Barcodes

Options
Is scanning barcodes the best bet for accurate food entries? I weigh my foods on a scale before entry, I'm just wondering how to weed out the million food entries in the database to find the best one.

Replies

• sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    that's what I always do and I have had success. I just make sure the nutrition info matches.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    The entries are entered by users, so there are errors. But I tend to scan anything I can to make logging easier on myself.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I always scan first if possible, but I definitely double-check what pops up against the label. If you're looking for accurate entries for stuff like fruit, veggies, and meat, search "[name of food] USDA", or just go straight to the USDA database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Scanning is only as good as the entry the barcode is attached to. Most seem to be ok, but I've had a few that were wildly inaccurate. So, as with everything in the MFP database, scan but verify!
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. Scan but verify sounds like a good way to go.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

Definitely verify it. I scanned a package of tortillas once and it pulled up jalapenos.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed more errors on skinny barcodes than the longer ones. But it could be in my head. LOL
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

Definitely verify it. I scanned a package of tortillas once and it pulled up jalapenos.

There are even more pernicious errors. The title of the entry may be correct but the calories can be significantly off - different batches, Canada vs US product of the same company, etc. etc.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    They were all seeming pretty accurate, until today when I scanned a stir fry sauce and it came up as Trader Joe's broccoli. We don't even have Trader Joes in England I don't think? I guess the barcodes are the same or something.

I wish my hoisin sauce had those broccoli calories though :smiley: