Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Whats the best tasting protein powder?

kt9052
kt9052 Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hello All! This is my very first post-so thanks to all of those who reply with feedback! I am looking for some advice on a filling and good tasting protein to mix up in the morning for a breakfast while on the run & for workouts. I have tried Vega and do not like the taste also Syntha 6 is not that filling for me.. I did a trial run of herbalife shakes- which are tasty, but i have heard so many bad things!! I have read reviews on Quest Proteins and they seem positive...anyone tried?

What are your favorites?
OR if there is another thread already open with this info can you direct me to it? I did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for..

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Good tasting and filling is pretty individual, but you may have to opt for a sit-down food breakfast.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I like Quest and Trutein, but I don't find drinking protein shakes to be filling at all. I mix mine with plain greek yogurt and berries for breakfast every morning.
  • levettk
    levettk Posts: 2 Member
    Labrada is really good. I have the vanilla kind (love the taste). I replace my lunch for the shake and have a snack (like grapes or some type of fruit) about 2 or 3 hours later. The price is also great..I buy it off of amazon at $24.49 for almost 2.5 pounds. I attached a picture..hope you find this useful
    s0szuv4gymnc.jpg
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Quest isn't bad, but those that suffer from IBS symptoms can't tolerate some of the ingredients.
    I like the Labrada Lean Body chocolate when I'm seriously late and only have time to chug something down. Very filling.
  • fysicallyfit
    fysicallyfit Posts: 5 Member
    Vega is my favorite. Sorry.

But you have to get the vanilla bean not the chocolate. I don’t care for the chocolate.
  • kt9052
    kt9052 Posts: 17 Member
    Vega is my favorite. Sorry.

But you have to get the vanilla bean not the chocolate. I don’t care for the chocolate.

^ The one I tried was a coconut almond? I think... and I always do vanilla everything! maybe i just tried a bad flavor..
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Yep- very individual thing. Personally, I don't digest whey protein well, so I use Naturade pea protein powder. I only like it blended with frozen banana (but I do really like that, so it's not like I force myself to have it or anything). Before discovering Naturade, I tried one a friend highly recommended that I found really gross & gritty, so likely it will just require trial & error on your part.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I like unflavoured whey. I prefer to add my own things to it.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Optimum Nutrition is my go-to
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    I got optimum nutrition vanilla and blend it with yogurt, a banana and vanilla almond milk in the morning. I don't like the taste unless it has fruit in it too, but that combo is tasty.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Best tasting IMO is plain egg white or whey protein that you custom blend for your own tastes. For example, the one below combines all of the things you might find in commercial powders without the artificial colors or flavors:

vjcynb2noepf.png

Note: The psyllium offsets the binding effects of the banana and aids in feelings of fullness.

However, my favorite portable breakfast is 2 HB eggs and 100 grams of cold potatoes (resistant starch) that have been steamed and seasoned with salt, pepper and Cuban seasoning. I make everything on the weekend and then peel the eggs and weigh out the potatoes and put them in baggies (1 serving of HB eggs / potatoes) and then grab it on my way out the door. (243 Calories; 11 Total Fat; Total Carbs 21; Total Protein 15).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    I haven’t tried many but I always get optimum nutrition, chocolate flavor. Very good. I just mix it with milk and it’s like chocolate milk. It’s not filling for me though.

I’m sure quest tastes good however I don’t want to try it because the bars do not make my digestive system happy at all. I’m sure the powder would be the same.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    If you are going for the optimum nutrtion powders, I use the chocolate and vanilla, and if you have a Costco membership, they 6.2 pound bags are on sale for $42 right now. Until this Sunday I believe.
  • katlyngronwoldt85
    katlyngronwoldt85 Posts: 49 Member
    Vega is my fav. I mix a scoop with my morning quick oats and its like chocolate pudding!!!!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 178 Member
    edited January 2018
    I like vanilla Muscle Milk. the chocolate isn't so good. For chocolate i like EAS and I find the EAS more filling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Taste would be highly variable...I personally don't find a protein shake to be filling in the least...I just use it to supplement and don't expect anything else from it.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard chocolate...
  • xosunny520
    xosunny520 Posts: 23 Member
    I like the EAS chocolate protein with 1/2 milk 1/2 water - tastes like a milkshake!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited January 2018
    That’s quite subjective.

If you want cheap, cost effective, and decent taste. To match your goals rather than to brag about. Try Canadian protein
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited January 2018
    As others have said, taste is subjective. With that said, my current favorite is Quest Cinnamon Crunch, mixed in Fairlife nonfat milk and a bit of water.