Advice needed!

Hey all! I am 22 and trying to lose 75 pounds. I am down ten pounds since the new year by just changing my diet. However, I want to start working out again. I have a bad back and hips so it makes going to the gym kind of difficult.

I can't do high impact things so I usually bike, go on the elliptical, or the stair stepper.

Any advice on strengthening my back and hips and getting started on weight lifting?

Lso, any advice on how to get rid of stubborn belly fat?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    "Bad back" isn't a medical diagnosis - what specifically have medical professionals told you is wrong?
    Muscular problems are different to spinal problems etc etc etc....

You have 75lbs to lose, your belly will shrink as your calorie deficit over a very extended period of time uses up your fat stores from all over your body. You don't get to choose which areas shrink first or last.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Hey OP! Nice work on the first 10lbs, keep doing what you're doing on that front, assuming by "changing my diet" you mean that you're counting/logging calories and eating at a deficit. It doesn't matter how much or which exercises you perform, all comes back to calories.

RE: "stubborn belly fat":
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat, and some people carry/lose fat from different places at different rates. This post is a good read about the topic. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Not knowing the severity of your back and hip issues I would discuss that with your doctor (or go to a doctor if you haven't seen one about that). At 22 I would be extra cautious not to do more harm than good. If you have access to a rowing machine, that at least has an element of resistance to it that may help you build towards weightlifting, though the hip hinge may be problematic depending on what your issue is.

• hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2018
    Sorry, I should have included that info in the original post! I have birth defects in my hips (bone spurs in the joint that tear the cartilage apart), and have had two surgeries on my left hip and have developed arthritis in the lumbar region of my spine as a result of my hips never properly carrying my weight and working and growing up on a farm. I've done physical therapy and they said I need to keep strengthening my back and core to have relief. However, when I've tried in the past I haven't really known what to do or start with and end up in pain.

And thanks for pointing out the spot reducing thing, I just wish we could! Lol my tummy is where my body carries the weight unfortunately.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Learning to deadlift properly and building up to deadlifting heavy did more for strengthening my back and core than anything else i did. It took years of work , but it was worth it for a rock solid core.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Sorry, I should have included that info in the original post! I have birth defects in my hips (bone spurs in the joint that tear the cartilage apart), and have had two surgeries on my left hip and have developed arthritis in the lumbar region of my spine as a result of my hips never properly carrying my weight and working and growing up on a farm. I've done physical therapy and they said I need to keep strengthening my back and core to have relief. However, when I've tried in the past I haven't really known what to do or start with and end up in pain.

And thanks for pointing out the spot reducing thing, I just wish we could! Lol my tummy is where my body carries the weight unfortunately.

That's sounds very painful. :flowerforyou:
    Your therapist really should be advising you what to do rather than a vague aim.

My back problems are mostly disc related and very different but did find a gym ball / Swiss ball a very gentle and supportive first step on the ladder. But again it's your therapist who should be guiding you.
    Best of luck - losing the excess weight will be a great help on its own of course.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

That's sounds very painful. :flowerforyou:
    Your therapist really should be advising you what to do rather than a vague aim.

My back problems are mostly disc related and very different but did find a gym ball / Swiss ball a very gentle and supportive first step on the ladder. But again it's your therapist who should be guiding you.
    Best of luck - losing the excess weight will be a great help on its own of course.

Agree with @sjjomial, the therapist should be helping to guide you to and through those strengthening exercises or at least providing exercises or stretches to alleviate pain when aggravated.

I too have lumbar region arthritis, L4-L5 facet arthritis to be specific. For my back I've found I just have to be more mindful about protecting it, how I sit at my desk (job with a cubicle), my car, sleeping position, etc. all can cause discomfort. I weight lift, but do so with a lifting belt to help keep my spine neutral, and on an actual program, not just something I put together myself (which was how I started having back pain to begin with).