Need help with weight loss: 150lb with a goal of 130

Options
jlindsaybell
jlindsaybell Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I’m looking for some help and thoughts on moderate weight loss.

Currently 150lbs, approximately 5’5”. I would like to get down to 130 ideally. I started keto 2 weeks ago with macros of 5% carb 20% protein and 75% while introducing intermittent fasting (2 meals a day, no snacks in an 6-8 hour window). So far I’ve had no weight loss. I try to stick to these macros as best as possible. I’m
Not always bang on but close. Id really like to get down to feel comfortable in my skin again. Would welcome any thoughts or tips. Help!

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Are you weighing/measuring your food? Keto and IF can be useful tools, but you can lose, maintain, or gain while eating that way, depending on your intake versus burn.
  • jlindsaybell
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Are you weighing/measuring your food? Keto and IF can be useful tools, but you can lose, maintain, or gain while eating that way, depending on your intake versus burn.

Calories are at about 1280 - I go above some days and below others. I do not count my exercise towards my intake typically. Have a good scale and am trying to diligently log. I guess patience.....
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Typically with a keto diet, you'll notice an almost immediate water weight loss the first week. The fact that you haven't may just be a product of where you are in your menstrual cycle.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Also, definitely get a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING!!!! I only use measuring cups and spoons for liquids, everything else is on the foods scale. I even check pre packaged items. They never weigh what the label says.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When did you start this diet in your menstrual cycle? If you started a week before or during...be patient dear. I started mine last week right on my period and I'm up 5 pounds. Trying to trust the process.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    poetrywise wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose weight with high carbs?

Yes, of course. Calories determine whether you lose, gain, or maintain weight. Many traditional cultures all over the world have eaten moderate to high carbs (veggies, fruits, rice, potatoes, bread).
  • jlindsaybell
    Options
    @katnadreau did you strictly calorie count? We’re about the sales age, height and weight. I am find without the crabs! It’s remarkable. Need the wine though
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    10 weeks ago I was 150lbs now I’m at 141lbs, I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and the all the food groups. The most important thing is staying under your calorie goal and I got a scale and that made a world of difference. I still have about 20lbs To go
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 37 years old and started at 152 lbs with a goal of 130-135 lbs. I'm eating at about 1500 calories a day and eat back half of my exersize calories also (I lift heavy 3 times a week, do yoga 2 times a week, and do a hiit/boot camp type of class 2 times a week). I've been losing a little less than 1 lb a week. I am pretty meticulous about weighing everything that goes in my mouth. My food scale stays on my kitchen counter and gets used every day. I do IF because it works well for me....I'd rather not eat breakfast and be able to eat more later in the day. I don't worry about carbs much. I make sure I'm eating enough protein and then just fill in the rest with fat and carbs.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Weigh, measure, and track everything. Don't forget things like condiments and sauces (they add up to a LOT).

I'm slightly taller and heavier than you (5'6.5" and 154 lbs) with a goal of 126-131 (that's what I would consider my maintenance range). Since fitness is my top priority, my losses are sloooow. Looks like I'll be keeping it slow as well so I can be sure that my workouts are effective and I can keep enough fuel to get through them in top shape.

If I was more focused on the weight loss, I could lose faster, but even I'll admit I like the food I can eat with a slower loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    @katnadreau did you strictly calorie count? We’re about the sames age, height and weight. I am fine without the carbs! It’s remarkable. Need the wine though

Many people need to calorie count regardless of the type of diet they choose. It's possible to eat high calories on a low carb diet or a high calories on a high carb diet. Just as it's possible to eat fewer calories on either type of diet. Measure & log everything.

If you are not creating a calorie deficit, then you won't lose weight.
  • jlindsaybell
    Options
    @TeaBea I’m eating about 1200-1400 calories a day and implementing the keto/IF techniques. I was curious about eating styles outside of calorie counting. I’m good at that part!
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @katnadreau did you strictly calorie count? We’re about the sales age, height and weight. I am find without the crabs! It’s remarkable. Need the wine though

Yup, just counting calories. Being committed to my current (smaller) grocery budget makes it easier to not buy certain treats...like ice cream and cookies....but I'll still eat them given the chance. I just weigh my portion out first and make sure it fits in my day. The only other thing I try to track is my protein. That's an important goal for me to hit. Carbs and fats fall where they may. Some days it's 30% carbs, other's it's over 50%. It's whatever I feel like :)