Healthier chip swap????

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    So I’ve already lost around 14 pounds. I’m not completely cutting anything out of my diet just trying to limit unhealthy food and eat more fruits & veggies and lean proteins.
    My biggest struggle though is while I can have a few small bites of chocolate or ice cream to satisfy my craving I often crave chips!! There my weakness and I can’t just have a few. So what’s a healthier alternative that I can munch on without totally blowing my calories and filling up on chips?

I’ve tried popcorn but I’m not really a fan?
    Also I don’t mind the baked chips but I’m not sure how much healthier those really are??

What do you mean by "healthier?" If you look at the nutritional labels of things like veggie sticks and whatnot, it's pretty similar to chips though you may get more actual sticks vs chips for the calories.

In 5+ years I've never really found any kind of viable substitute for chips that are any healthier from a nutritional standpoint. I just get the single serve bags when I want them...I don't eat them all that often anymore though...we do tortilla chips and salsa when we have guests and I go to Subway about once or twice per month and I usually get chips with my sandwich as a treat...otherwise the only time I really keep them on hand is when we go camping. If they were in my pantry, they wouldn't be for long.
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Popchips are good! They come in 100 calorie bags and there is a decent amount in a serving. They come in lots of flavors too.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Whisps. They’re made out of Parmesan cheese, 13g protein per serving, and crunch/salty/delicious.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    Popchips are good! They come in 100 calorie bags and there is a decent amount in a serving. They come in lots of flavors too.

Agreed, I love Popchips! I've tried "Crazy Hot" and BBQ and they were both delicious. Great mid-afternoon snack. I find only 15 chips (85 cals) tides me over till dinnertime.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
  • haleyrhart
    haleyrhart Posts: 26 Member
    Roasted pumpkin seeds. If you do it yourself the flavors are only limited by your imagination. Just follow the curried nuts recipe in the "joy of cooking". Just replace the nuts with seeds (if you want) and the seasoning. I have chile lime this week.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I occasionally eat Popchips and eat rice cakes daily. I don't recommend "Popcorners". They are THE nastiest things ever lol. I'm not really a fan of chips anyway so I never have issues with eating too many chips.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    i buy the individual bags and have to keep them in my car that way I ONLY bring in a bag each time I want them- IF I have to get up and go out ot the car-usually I will NOt eat a second bag-LOL
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Pickles, salty taste, low cal.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Plentils lentil and potato chips. they are so good especially the Margherita Pizza flavor if you can find them anywhere, but i've also had the sea salt and dill flavor i think it was. all were good. or Veggie Straws, yes! i have a thing for french fries and have taken to eating sauteed (actually braised) green beans. they kind of feel like a french fry in the hand. maybe some big carrots cut fancy on the diagonal with a mandoline and salted would satisfy your chip craving.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    Plentils lentil and potato chips. they are so good especially the Margherita Pizza flavor if you can find them anywhere, but i've also had the sea salt and dill flavor i think it was. all were good. or Veggie Straws, yes! i have a thing for french fries and have taken to eating sauteed (actually braised) green beans. they kind of feel like a french fry in the hand. maybe some big carrots cut fancy on the diagonal with a mandoline and salted would satisfy your chip craving.

Spray green beans with olive oil, salt, and roast about 15 minutes and they get beautifully crispy.
  • tblackburn80
    tblackburn80 Posts: 16 Member
    Two suggestions (sorry if these have been suggested already)- sweet potato cut into thin slices, brush a thin layer of oil of your choice (the healthier the better!) And seasoning of your choice and bake until crispy. Also, won ton wrappers cut into fourths- same with oil, seasoning and baking. Won tons bake in the matter of about 5 minutes!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I just tried kale chips (homemade) for the first time today and I’m very impressed! They were very light and crispy! Definitely making these again!
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Quakers popped rice chips are pretty amazing imo
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I just tried kale chips (homemade) for the first time today and I’m very impressed! They were very light and crispy! Definitely making these again!

That would be my suggestion too. Kale chips are surprisingly good.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    edited January 2018
    @rheddmobile
    Spray green beans with olive oil, salt, and roast about 15 minutes and they get beautifully crispy.

Thank you! i am going to have to try this!

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Radishes! They're very crunchy and super low-calorie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    The actual small bags of chips (individual size) aren't bad for calories, and presumably if you just had one bag you could stick to it. Read the labels, but most chips are just potatoes and oil (plus some seasoning depending on the type, and salt). Potatoes are, of course, potatoes, and IMO perfectly healthy, the issue with chips is oil adds tons of calories. The baked use less oil and have fewer calories, so if your concerns is calories I'd recommend the small individual sized bags of baked chips. Some have said that the individual sized bags they see are large, so check the labels or look for the smallest size -- baked should be around 150 cal or less, I'd imagine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    That said, if you want something totally different, I'd recommend radishes and kohlrabi, raw, with some salt on them. Tasty and salty and crunchy. And very low cal.