Slimming World. Pros & cons please?

Options
I'm thinking of joining slimming world. It's £5 a week joining fee, and I can pay for 3 months a time. To those who are on SW journeys what are the pros and cons. Answer honestly please.

I need to lose weight after having my baby and I lost weight when pregnant by cutting out meat (I couldn't stomach it.) Now I'm. Back on eating everything I like again, but still need to.lose a substantial amount each year till I get to my goal. 130/140lbs. Aka 9/10 Stone.

Replies

• Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing Slimming World, and never have so I can't give you pros and cons. I would ask do you know anyone who has had success with it long term?

I know many people who have tried it, I know one who reached target and has been able to maintain it. How? She still, years after losing the weight, follows SW.

I am using this site and calorie counting, and I can't imagine now following a prescribed program for what I can achieve on my own eating basically the way I always have, just in a more measured way.

I know this isn't what you asked but I saw no one had given any pros and cons and just wanted to offer my thoughts.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Cons:
    - It costs money
    - You can lose weight for free by counting calories and eating whatever foods you enjoy
    - It's not sustainable (do you plan to do this for the rest of your life?)

Pros:
    - May provide some fleeting motivation due to sunk costs and online community hivemind
    - May feel "easier" because you don't have to count calories
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Is that like Weight Watchers? Is it in the states?
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    Is that like Weight Watchers? Is it in the states?

It's basically the new ww plan..but it's been going for years in the uk

OH Cool. I know a lot of people who do well on WW. I think that for some people paying for a program helps keep them motivated or in check. I have a friend who just restarted WW using the app and their website. So far so good I think.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I know people who have been very successful using SW; I have to say most, but not all, have also regained their weight. While they do have 'free foods' in general the success is (like ALL other diets you find) down to reducing the amount of calories consumed. I have witnessed the same success rate (and a fair amount of failure at maintaining) on Mfp. Why would you pay to follow slimming world? - unless you need the accountability of weighing in in front of a class. Challenge groups on here, plus supportive friends may provide the same support - horses for courses I guess.
  • ChazzyEvilKitty2014
    Options
    I know people who have been very successful using SW; I have to say most, but not all, have also regained their weight. While they do have 'free foods' in general the success is (like ALL other diets you find) down to reducing the amount of calories consumed. I have witnessed the same success rate (and a fair amount of failure at maintaining) on Mfp. Why would you pay to follow slimming world? - unless you need the accountability of weighing in in front of a class. Challenge groups on here, plus supportive friends may provide the same support - horses for courses I guess.

I was thinking about it mainly because it's a way to meet people also. I have no friends since having my baby unfortunately. I've lost weight before on my own, just wanted to know what it was like for those who've followed it and been.in a group environment. Last time I went to the gym etc and basically had a high protein low carbon diet, but in the long run its bad for your kidneys. (Both parents have kidney failure.)
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the ketogentic diet. Lots of fats..little carbs. Some people love it..it does help you burn fat quickly, if you stick to it. I'm enjoying cheese, Butter, meats, ..so I don't miss the breads so much. It's not for everyone..you have to find what you prefer, what you can stick to, and what keeps you satisfied. That is to key to success.
  • SophiaJane81
    SophiaJane81 Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have done SW 3 times. Lost a moderate amount but left for the same reasons mainly.

Pro- community (if you get along with your group)
    - accountability
    - semi easier but in the long term. no.

Cons
    -low fat - ridiculous as this shows to have terrible health benefits
    -they push processed food
    - they dont get fluctuations in weight
    - mentally can play with you if you dont lose each week before a big group.
    - i dont believe its sustainable

I alwayw end up coming back here for flexibility and to know what I am truly eating. Its not as easy but hey it wasnt all that easy following SW all the time.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't like people telling me what I can and can't eat, I prefer to make my own choices. And all that low fat nonsense gets on my nerves :|
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I’ve been following sw for 2 years I have lost 5stone 4.5 lbs having only lost 4.5lbs since August last year. I’m back here (still going to sw for the use of scales and social aspect) I feel restricted on slimming world found myself skipping lunch if it was out because I didn’t want to use about 50 syns to have lunch out with my children (you only get 15-20 syns a day )
    It’s very low fat diet but it does work without calorie counting but the science behind weight loss is to be in a calorie deficit
  • debvfr
    debvfr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did ok back in the day when it was red and green days.
    Now it’s totally unlimited I loose all sense of reality and over eat. When I then slip of the wagon I put on double if not triple the weight.
    When I slipped off mfp I put a 1/4 of the weight on. I’ve now lost that and doubled it.
    I find the whole class thing and weigh ins really stressful and I’m paying for the privilege of some muppet making a fool of me for not loosing enough weight yes I had a bad experience.
    Mfp I’ve taken responsibility for my over eating me calorie counting is so funny I’m just not a person you would have though could do it
    Weigh myself once in a blue moon go by my clothes which I’ve dropped from 22/24 -16 and I’m happy.
    But it’s whatever works for you you need to get your head in the game or any diet won’t work.
    You can do it