Why train 3x week? Is there disadvantages to working out more?

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Eaturmeat wrote: »
    I train splits like this:

Day 1-chest
    Day 2- back
    Day 3- rest
    Day 4- shoulders
    Day 5- legs
    Day 6- arms
    Day 7- rest

I do high volume for each muscle group and I chose my days so the muscles involved would not be overworked during the next day. It all depends on your genetics, sleep, age and diet as to how fast you can recover. Some days I take an extra rest day and some days I feel like doing two a day so I do. I don’t follow a strict plan but do enough research to do things right and do what works best for you.

SO you are effectively training arms 5 days a week and legs one.

Not a good program at all. especially since you're not following a plan or program.

I was going to say it looks like a 90's gym bro split. The problem is you used to see a lot of guys doing this wearing stringers and track pants.

On the plus side, at least he's got a leg day. :)

True, skipping leg day used to be an automatic. Bro Science Life did an episode on reasons to skip leg day lol.

Good video. My favorite is still the Do You Even Lift one!!!

ROFL, yeah or the old ones where far better than his new ones, unfortunately he's gone a little stale.
  • Gainer018
    Gainer018 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Gainer018 wrote: »
    Huge amounts of information thank you all :)
    Trying to summarize as much questions as possible:

I can only do home workouts at the moment and have only just got round to getting a pair of dumbbells, which I will incorporate into my strength training. My upper body is incredibly thin so I would really prefer to gain the weight first rather than build muscle as I don't want the defined upper body muscle look right now, I'd look really silly. I focus more on my lower body because that is where I have a balance of muscle and some fat that needs sorting out.

It's true, I don't follow one of these programs I see on here, but I follow YouTube videos which has worked well for me in the past, when I tried to gain for the first time. They do state rest days but this time I just feel like I don't need as many. Probably because it's not new to me as such. The rest days in the videos are for cardio, upper body etc. I do a lot of walking anyway and as my goal is to primarily gain weight I don't want to lose all my calories doing extra cardio and make my journey harder. Maybe once I hit a comfortable weight I'd consider it but at the moment my focus is to gain weight and "mould" it into the right places.

I hope I've answered your questions, if I missed something please remind me. I appreciate all your help and advice :)

If you're bulking, you'll be gaining both fat and muscle so please don't worry about your arms looking too muscly if you do upper body. Trust me, it ain't gonna happen. I train like a beast super heavy and if I'm not flexing, you honestly can't tell I lift.

Really! I'm so thin I just thought muscle gain would show more prominently than if I had some fat to cover it. But I trust your advice and will put these dumbbells to some use ;) thank you!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I can only do home workouts at the moment and have only just got round to getting a pair of dumbbells, which I will incorporate into my strength training. My upper body is incredibly thin so I would really prefer to gain the weight first rather than build muscle as I don't want the defined upper body muscle look right now, I'd look really silly. I focus more on my lower body because that is where I have a balance of muscle and some fat that needs sorting out.

It's true, I don't follow one of these programs I see on here, but I follow YouTube videos which has worked well for me in the past, when I tried to gain for the first time. They do state rest days but this time I just feel like I don't need as many. Probably because it's not new to me as such. The rest days in the videos are for cardio, upper body etc. I do a lot of walking anyway and as my goal is to primarily gain weight I don't want to lose all my calories doing extra cardio and make my journey harder. Maybe once I hit a comfortable weight I'd consider it but at the moment my focus is to gain weight and "mould" it into the right places.

I hope I've answered your questions, if I missed something please remind me. I appreciate all your help and advice :)

If you're bulking, you'll be gaining both fat and muscle so please don't worry about your arms looking too muscly if you do upper body. Trust me, it ain't gonna happen. I train like a beast super heavy and if I'm not flexing, you honestly can't tell I lift.

Really! I'm so thin I just thought muscle gain would show more prominently than if I had some fat to cover it. But I trust your advice and will put these dumbbells to some use ;) thank you!

The nice thing for you is that if you are already a low body fat percentage then you can take great advantage of what's known as the p-ratio, or partitioning ratio. It's the amount of weight gain that automatically splits between muscle and fat even if you don't workout. The lower your BF% the more muscle you gain but slowly that changes to favour fat gain as you get to higher body fat.

However, one thing that @Davidsdottir points out, that I would like to highlight, is that women rarely look bulky even if they lift like a beast, and she does. People that lift should be able to tell she does as well, because her shoulders and back are going to have more firmness and triangular shape, but you will have to know what to look for and your arms, as she mentioned, will look firm but not muscular unless you flex. You will find as you gain muscle you'll look firmer but not huge. I used to workout with some cheerleaders in university and they could lift like you wouldn't believe, yet they were often petite.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

The nice thing for you is that if you are already a low body fat percentage then you can take great advantage of what's known as the p-ratio, or partitioning ratio. It's the amount of weight gain that automatically splits between muscle and fat even if you don't workout. The lower your BF% the more muscle you gain but slowly that changes to favour fat gain as you get to higher body fat.

However, one thing that @Davidsdottir points out, that I would like to highlight, is that women rarely look bulky even if they lift like a beast, and she does. People that lift should be able to tell she does as well, because her shoulders and back are going to have more firmness and triangular shape, but you will have to know what to look for and your arms, as she mentioned, will look firm but not muscular unless you flex. You will find as you gain muscle you'll look firmer but not huge. I used to workout with some cheerleaders in university and they could lift like you wouldn't believe, yet they were often petite.

Those are all great points!
  • Gainer018
    Gainer018 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I've never heard of the p-ratio. I'm definitely going to read up on that. But I guess being this thin has it's advantages in the early days of training. I'm such a novice, all of this is new to me. Last time I tried to gain I only used the app for logging calories. But thank you, very informative and helpful
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I've never heard of the p-ratio. I'm definitely going to read up on that. But I guess being this thin has it's advantages in the early days of training. I'm such a novice, all of this is new to me. Last time I tried to gain I only used the app for logging calories. But thank you, very informative and helpful

Here is a good link to get you started

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/calorie-partitioning-part-1.html/
  • Eaturmeat
    Eaturmeat Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well my split works for me. Little irritating getting it criticized but I guess I’m stuck in the 90s then. I don’t care for the modern body builder look anyway. And yeah I do fine on leg day.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Well my split works for me. Little irritating getting it criticized but I guess I’m stuck in the 90s then. I don’t care for the modern body builder look anyway. And yeah I do fine on leg day.

I'm not criticizing it really, it just wouldn't work for most people's goals, I think you mentioned somewhere else you were doing a variation of GVT and that's also something that pretty specific to a BB program only. I can see by your PP that you are getting solid upper body development, and if that's your goals then it is working as intended.

I was just having a bit of a humorous flashback when those splits where big and you saw guys who were very proud of their upper bodies but embarrassed by their leg development.
  • Eaturmeat
    Eaturmeat Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That’s fair. My teenagers always make fun of me for being stuck in my old ways. I understand my way is not the best way.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    That’s fair. My teenagers always make fun of me for being stuck in my old ways. I understand my way is not the best way.

LOL you are always a dinosaur to your kids, even if you are up on everything current.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Teaching your son the habits of good health!
  • UKWildcatDave
    UKWildcatDave Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    qud9rmvh7my8.jpeg

This is me and my son bonding in the only way we know how

I've been trying to convince my 13 yo son to start weight training with me. I know it would help his self confidence.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I strength train 3x weekly. Both bodyweight and weighted. As I'm becoming more comfortable with working out I'm not feeling the need for rest days. I only do lower body exercises for approx 30mins or until I cannot physically do any more (less than an hour at a time). I do a minimum 2sets 20reps of exercises (3sets 10reps doesn't work for me, I like to feel the burn from the off or I lose momentum)

I picked up the 3x weekly as it seems to be the "norm". But I'm not getting any soreness the next day which I thought was supposed to happen after a good workout?

How has the 3x training come about? What are the benefits? Can I add more days so I can get that after workout soreness?

I will add that the training is working. I still have to push those last few reps. So I know it's not about adding any more weight. I just want to know I'm pushing myself to my goal as best as I can :)

For me, I find that training each main body part twice a week is great. Traditional programs will have you do each body part once a week. The other thing you have to consider is how much do you want to do or focus on each work out day. For example, I don't like to do too many body parts in one day, I find that if I stick to one main thing I'll be able to really work on that and focus on using those muscles. For example, I used to do a push day and do shoulders, chest, and triceps, but I then learned for me, I liked to split those three into separate days. It requires me to go to the gym more often, but for my mental and physical focus, this works great! Same for Back and biceps. So I dedicated a shoulder day, an arms day, chest, back, and leg day, which gives me a 5 day split instead of a 3 day split. But again this is personal preference. I do two of those each day though so that I can hit everything twice so for example, one day I do chest followed by back, next day I do legs followed by shoulders, next day I rest, next day I do back followed by chest, next day shoulders followed by legs, and arm day if my schedule fits, followed by another rest day.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Dependent on your programme. I weight train 5x a week (Well... 4 now i'm pregnant) but I was training 5x a week and then did cardio on the other 2days. I do bodysplits so I need 5 days weight training to hit every muscle group but I space them out so I can rest and recover inbetween. So I do legs on Monday but chest on Tuesday so my legs are recovering on the Tuesday when i'm still in the gym because i'm not doing any lower body work.

You need to work out what's best for you and how best to hit your goals whilst recovering. I found I was making more gains with bodysplit programming rather than upper/lower or full body etc.. But that's individual preference.

It depends what your goals are but I would recommend following a programme that will work for what you're trying to achieve.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it but are you saying workout 3 times a week or work each body part 3 times a week or work the 3 major lifts 3 times a week? Depends on how old you are, or how fast you recover, joints okay. Depends on how heavy the weight is or are you a cardio repper?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    In general a nvoice lifter doing a full body regime will get all the muscle stimulas and recovery with a three day program. More would burn you out quicker, therefore less strength.

Also generally speaking more days are for more intermediate and advanced lifters to prevent progress from stalling. No point as a novice doing anything that is geared towards slower progress.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

if you're going to get butt hurt over someone calling out your very obviously arm heavy workout routine- you might want to consider giving up the internet- or working on getting thicker skin.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I'm not criticizing it really, it just wouldn't work for most people's goals, I think you mentioned somewhere else you were doing a variation of GVT and that's also something that pretty specific to a BB program only. I can see by your PP that you are getting solid upper body development, and if that's your goals then it is working as intended.

I was just having a bit of a humorous flashback when those splits where big and you saw guys who were very proud of their upper bodies but embarrassed by their leg development.

So what does your routine look like? I know plenty of people including myself that do a similar type of routine and results are pretty decent. Oh and there are some pretty aesthetic looking bodybuilders from the 1990s too by the way, even the natural guys looks bigger than the ones today who are mostly just lean but don't look big with clothes on. The main difference between mine is that I try to get each of those in twice per week.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

So what does your routine look like? I know plenty of people including myself that do a similar type of routine and results are pretty decent. Oh and there are some pretty aesthetic looking bodybuilders from the 1990s too by the way, even the natural guys looks bigger than the ones today who are mostly just lean but don't look big with clothes on. The main difference between mine is that I try to get each of those in twice per week.

What BB in the 90s didn't great legs? Never said anything about the real BBs just the gym bros who just wanted the guns and pecticles but neglected the legs and ofen the back too. I'm out right but but I'll post my routine later.

Also, I'm not a BB, I'm a powerlifter with some aesthetic work for rounding out. You might aay powerbuilding.