Trouble eating enough calories.

cancearth
cancearth Posts: 12 Member
Basically, I end up falling about 500-1,000 calories short of my 2,500 calorie goal every day and I don't know where to make it up. I suffer from an extreme case of GERD, which has removed so many things I could eat from my diet and limited me to just a few small, low calorie meals and snacks. Short of eating so much I feel bloated and nauseous, are there any high calorie, GERD friendly snacks I can eat to boost my intake?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    What in the world is GERD?

Gastroesophageal reflux disease
  • cancearth
    crazyravr wrote: »
    What in the world is GERD?

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Essentially, my lower esophageal sphincter stays open which allows stomach acid to constantly work its way back into my esophagus. It's like living with a heart attack all day, every day, even with medication. And it's caused me to eliminate everything but lean meat from my diet, all dairy, nuts, onions, peppers, cooking oils, coffee, spicy foods, et cetera. I'm currently working hard to lose weight not only to increase my overall health and well being but hopefully reduce or eliminate the GERD.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    I had GERD when I was pregnant. My sympathies, it’s really difficult. I was going to suggest adding oils, butters, nut butters, but sounds like those are out. What about high calorie fruits like avocados and mangoes? Potatoes? Rice? Coconut cream? Or can you really only eat lean meat? I can definitely understand not wanting to eat 2500 calories of chicken breast. Yuck.
  • cancearth
    I had GERD when I was pregnant. My sympathies, it’s really difficult. I was going to suggest adding oils, butters, nut butters, but sounds like those are out. What about high calorie fruits like avocados and mangoes? Potatoes? Rice? Coconut cream? Or can you really only eat lean meat? I can definitely understand not wanting to eat 2500 calories of chicken breast. Yuck.

Avocados are unfortunately out, which is a shame considering how much I loved avocados and guacamole in my pre-GERD life. Almost all fruits are out, too. I've gone through the entire list of alkaline fruits and the two I have the least difficulty with are bananas and apples, and even they still give me trouble. Baked potatoes and steamed rice are big parts of my diet. I really follow what's known as the BRAT diet and do my best to avoid/limit all fats, even the good ones sadly enough.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    I suffer from GERD due to a side effect from my arthritis meds, which in turn led to me developing a peptic ulcer. Between the insanely heavy doses of antibiotics I'm taking they also gave me a very strong antacid combined with a motility med, that stops anything from reversing up into the esophagus. (There are other unsavoury side effects to those, but in the long run I'm hoping this will all settle itself out.)

I feel for you, and understand how uncomfortable it can be dealing with those symptoms. @kimothyschma is bang on. Aim for calorie dense foods that you can tolerate.

Hoping you start to feel better as you progress.

#ImissCoffee
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    cancearth wrote: »
    Avocados are unfortunately out, which is a shame considering how much I loved avocados and guacamole in my pre-GERD life. Almost all fruits are out, too. I've gone through the entire list of alkaline fruits and the two I have the least difficulty with are bananas and apples, and even they still give me trouble. Baked potatoes and steamed rice are big parts of my diet. I really follow what's known as the BRAT diet and do my best to avoid/limit all fats, even the good ones sadly enough.

I guess I would try repurposing some things, like freezing bananas and blending them to make “nice cream,” making baked apples and cinnamon, homemade applesauce or apple butter. You can form leftover rice into patties and make a pancake/cracker type thing. I’ve done that before. Homemade potato chips. Sweet potatoes can be boiled, mashed, puréed, baked, cut into fries, chips, or hash. If you can do toast I would look for a high calorie bread. In fact, gluten free rice breads are usually 110 calories or so a slice.

I hope your condition improves as you lose the weight. I don’t think it’s the end of the world if your calories are a little low while you resolve this. From what I’m reading GERD usually improves with weight loss, so eventually you will be able to eat more! Best of luck to you.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Are you taking any medication to help control reflux? Nexium is working wonders for me.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Have you tried protein shakes with Peanut Butter and other items, that can bump up calories?
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    jflongo wrote: »
    Have you tried protein shakes with Peanut Butter and other items, that can bump up calories?

Most protein powders contain whey solids.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    jflongo wrote: »

Most protein powders contain whey solids.

If whey is an issue, there are many protein powders now on the market without it. Not sure if these meet OP's needs, but I've used hemp, soy, rice, and pea protein. They're all whey-free.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    How fast are you losing weight? Do you feel fine (not hungry, hangry or weak) on your current actual intake? If weightloss can improve your digestion, maybe you should just avoid rocking the boat. I'm usually for eating as much as you can and still lose weight, and in your situation, 1500-2000 calories might be "as much as you can" at this stage.
  • cancearth
    How fast are you losing weight? Do you feel fine (not hungry, hangry or weak) on your current actual intake? If weightloss can improve your digestion, maybe you should just avoid rocking the boat. I'm usually for eating as much as you can and still lose weight, and in your situation, 1500-2000 calories might be "as much as you can" at this stage.

Honestly, it's only been a couple weeks since I started an actual attempt to lose weight and only a few days since I got serious about counting calories, but I'm shooting for two pounds a week. I'm just worried about my body burning what muscle I do have instead of fat if it thinks it's undernourished. I feel hungry on my current intake, but the issue with my GERD is that I already feel so bloated and nauseous on what I do eat that adding much more to my diet just doesn't seem like a real option.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member

Honestly, it's only been a couple weeks since I started an actual attempt to lose weight and only a few days since I got serious about counting calories, but I'm shooting for two pounds a week. I'm just worried about my body burning what muscle I do have instead of fat if it thinks it's undernourished. I feel hungry on my current intake, but the issue with my GERD is that I already feel so bloated and nauseous on what I do eat that adding much more to my diet just doesn't seem like a real option.

What did you eat before starting your current diet? I assume you were getting enough calories before, since now you want to lose weight. Can you get a referral to a dietician for help in learning what you can eat that is compatible with your condition.? Have you been treated medically for the condition? That might help control your symptoms.
  • kommodevaran

Just to eliminate other possibilities - could it be that just eating less than usual, or even the idea of eating less, is making you hungry? Or the GERD itself? Or a lack of certain nutrients? How was your digestion before you started dieting? I'm worried about how the restrictions (the severely limited range of food) will affect you, not just eating too few calories. I guess you've already tried many small meals, starting with a very early breakfast and the last meal right before bed?
  • cancearth
    lorrpb wrote: »

What did you eat before starting your current diet? I assume you were getting enough calories before, since now you want to lose weight. Can you get a referral to a dietician for help in learning what you can eat that is compatible with your condition.? Have you been treated medically for the condition? That might help control your symptoms.

It wasn't good. A lot of fast food and still eating out, almond milk, processed foods, basically everything I shouldn't have. Sadly, the difference in diet hasn't made a big difference in the severity or frequency of symptoms related to GERD. The thing with my insurance is, it's Kaiser. Kaiser sucks. I can absolutely see a nutritionist, but it has to be a Kaiser nutritionist and the closest one to where I live is two hours away. Anything outside of Kaiser I have to pay 100% of the cost.
  • cancearth

Just to eliminate other possibilities - could it be that just eating less than usual, or even the idea of eating less, is making you hungry? Or the GERD itself? Or a lack of certain nutrients? How was your digestion before you started dieting? I'm worried about how the restrictions (the severely limited range of food) will affect you, not just eating too few calories. I guess you've already tried many small meals, starting with a very early breakfast and the last meal right before bed?

I suppose it's possible, but honestly, even when I was eating too much, I felt full but starving at the same time. And the stomach pain from not eating was worse than the pain from eating too much, so I always stuffed my face. Now, I'm never actually that hungry, but there's always that persistent nagging feeling of being kind of hungry. Digestion isn't great and hasn't been for a while. A lot of undigested food in my stool, etc. I'll spare you the details. I have tried what you suggested, however, with my condition, I need to eat no sooner than 3-4 hours before bed or the heartburn is severe. Ironically, after 3-4 hours my stomach feels empty and THAT pain starts to kick in. I wonder if some or any of it is psychological, honestly.
  • kommodevaran

I suppose it's possible, but honestly, even when I was eating too much, I felt full but starving at the same time. And the stomach pain from not eating was worse than the pain from eating too much, so I always stuffed my face. Now, I'm never actually that hungry, but there's always that persistent nagging feeling of being kind of hungry. Digestion isn't great and hasn't been for a while. A lot of undigested food in my stool, etc. I'll spare you the details. I have tried what you suggested, however, with my condition, I need to eat no sooner than 3-4 hours before bed or the heartburn is severe. Ironically, after 3-4 hours my stomach feels empty and THAT pain starts to kick in. I wonder if some or any of it is psychological, honestly.
    It wasn't good. A lot of fast food and still eating out, almond milk, processed foods, basically everything I shouldn't have. Sadly, the difference in diet hasn't made a big difference in the severity or frequency of symptoms related to GERD.
    I'm sorry, I knew about the 3 hours before bed rule, but I forgot.
    I think I can see a pattern - before, you could very well get in (more than) enough calories, but still be hungry because you didn't get sufficient nutrition, which only a balanced and varied diet can provide. Now you're doing the same, but in reverse - eating to fill your stomach, but still not getting in sufficient nutrition, so you are still hungry.

I'm afraid you will develop a fear of food and eating. But you have to eat. Eating a bland diet is depressing. Maybe you aren't chewing enough, maybe because you're getting too scared to eat. That can explain some of your stool issues as well as some of the hunger. Physical and psychological aren't completely separate areas.

I think that since you aren't getting much relief anyway, could you try to just eat a more balanced and varied diet? I'm asking you to cook more at home, eat a little more fruit and veg, moderate fat, more differerent food, and not exceed your calorie allowance.
  • AlshainDeLeon
    AlshainDeLeon Posts: 1 Member
    I see that you might be ok with bananas. In that case I would recommend plantains. Cooked ripe they are starchy like a potato, let them get a little overripe and you can boil then, making them sweet.
  • AngelOiCu812
    AngelOiCu812 Posts: 17 Member
    GERD sucks I have gotten some relief using raw apple cider vinegar with lemon honey and water mixture I just drink a cup full in the mornings.