Cheat day or a little 'treat'

Options
Hi Everyone!

So I'm fairly new here, and this is my first post. I'm not really sure how this works though.
Anyhow, was hoping if y'all would help me out with this little dilemma I seem to be having.

I'm 5'1 and I weigh 53. My daily intake is a 1200. I manage to stay in that range with my food. I work out at the gym for about 1 hr, 20 mins most days of the week. However, is it ok if I eat like say one piece of chocolate at the end of the day? As opposed to one cheat day? I've had different views on this, one being that 'if you have one cheat day, at least you have a history of 6 days gyming'

Help! I'm so confused!

Replies

• HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i think it's better to have little treats to help you stay on track rather than a massive blowout for a day.. and chocolate is easily worked into calories :) today i had 5 pieces of dairy milk.. not even 200 cals woo :)
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Life without chocolate is not worth living. Enjoy!!
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    Once a week I treat myself to something...it could be a bowl of chips...fries...wings etc
    then I get back on track the next day...remember that there is no finish line and that this journey will never
    end...it's not a diet but a lifestyle change!
    and enjoy your treat
    good luck
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Agree with hannah. Although on a "cheat day" I only really have one thing so I'm good (normally) for a week. Tbh if I crave something I will have a little of it.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Definitely. And if you can stay within your allotted cals while eating the chocolate, even better!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I also think little treats are wayy better than cheat days. You can easily fit in a little treat. My treat in this 105+ weather (Texas) is usually a small ice cream cone for 150-170 calories ... sometimes I'll get a big hershey bar and eat the serving size on the package every couple days. I have both a sweet tooth and a salty tooth so I try to keep some kind of crackers and something sweet (but healthy) in my pantry/fridge at all times so I don't make worse decisions. Typically it's whole wheat crackers and natural fruit chews or natural fruit bars (popsicles).
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    People talk on here a lot about the importance of eating back your exercise calories - are you doing this? If not then you definitely should have the chocolate plus more (you'll still be under your calorie goal) - although I think you should have it anyway ;) I've also read that a lot of people think 1200 is too low - although it's also been recommended to me on here as a short person ;)
  • powerthree
    Options
    By exercising you earn extra calories and it is fine to treat yourself to something. I love sweets so I do have a skinny cow dessert 100 cal or a pudding at 60 calories each night. If I did not do that I would end up binging. I always think it is harder to keep the weight off if you do days off your diet. Where if you are always on than it becomes your lifestyle. You can still splurge for special occasions but you work out to accommodate that splurge !!! Best of luck!!!!
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if it's within your goals and your brain accepts it as a small treat (instead of just making you want to eat another 500g which is my problem :) then go for it!! if you spend the whole time feeling like you are denying yourself then you are never going to stick to your aims.
  • shaisthakhan
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much!
    So I can have my chocolate and eat it too! ;)
    <3
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't have 'cheat days'. If I want it, I eat it. I don't feel guilty about it (most of the time) either. I am nearing goal and figure that the only way to maintain what I have done so far is to live like I will for the rest of my life - and I certainly won't deny myself a treat for the rest of my life.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I factor in a treat to my daily diary. Sometimes it is a 90 cal chocolate mouse, sometimes a bag of Walkers french Fries @ 83cals or sometimes a mini Key Lime Pie @ 140 cals. I am trying to get out of the habit though and want my evening treat to be fruit going forwards... However if a small daily treat works for me I guess it's OK?

I also have the occasional evening when I am not that strict - although I do still go for the healthy options!
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Sat I ate Arby's roast beef, curly fries and a mt.dew ~ then for supper had 3 potato skins with ranch dressing and a 20 oz coke. Sun I ate the other 3 potato skins, an I think another mt.dew or coke. I lost 2lbs. I'd been eating right the other 5 days and going to the gym like crazy, an went sunday also. My husband and I have been talking alot over the last week and from what he's said about his weight loss way back (LOL thats kind of a joke between us) he ALWAYS had cheat days and always lost weight. He'd be much happier if I'd eat steak an baked potato (gee such a hard ship as I could eat my WEIGHT in steak LOL) so thats what I'm planning for this Sat. Steak, baked potato with lots an lots an lots of cheese and baco's (YUMMY) and a salad with Kens Steakhouse Ranch dressing. It gives your body a break ~ also helps to change up what you eat and how you exercise as your body tends to adapt to what you do, if you do it long enough. Oh and I have to say that I was warned that the steak wont stay around long, and shortly after I eat I'll get very warm, almost break a sweat. That's how I'll know my body has kicked into high gear to digest the food. Again thats from him, and his prior exp with losing weight.

I'll try my best to remember and post what happens and whether I lost weight :) Oh and he did request that I NOT eat mac an cheese (I cant shovel that in fast enough lmao) cause it is full of fat and carbs and almost nothing else. I'm still kind of pouting over that one, but I'll live thru it haha

So to answer, I'd rather have one cheat day where I can eat something like that than go on and on without every seeing a break in site on what I'm eating.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I keep my sweet/salty tooth in tact with 100 calorie snacks. I have room in my calorie intake to have 2-3 of them per day. Although one of those is usually a Fiber one bar with only 90 calories but still sweet enough to satisfy my need for sugar! Don't get me wrong there are some days, usually once a month, that I DO CRAVE real chocolate! I work in an office and ALWAYS have mini chocolate bars or mini Reeses cups in a bowl on my desk. If I NEED TO I will work in a couple of those during that time but most of the time the 100 calorie snacks do the trick. I on the other hand believe in the "cheat day". I DO NOT DO THIS weekly. But rather if there is a birthday party one weekend that we have to attend I will eat what they are serving. Yes this means cake and ice cream, however, it is a 1/2 or 1/4 piece of cake and only a very small portion of ice cream. If I know what they are serving for the meal before hand I WILL figure up how much of each item I can have before going down there. I still eat what they serve but watch the portions. That way my body still gets to eat "THE GOOD STUFF" but not killing my calorie intake, too bad. My husband talked to a doctor before he started MFP and she said it is GOOD FOR YOUR BODY to throw in a cheat day every once in a while. She said it keeps your body "guessing" and helps your metabolism. Not sure if I believe that or not, but again this is what works for me and everybody is different so if eating small portions of chocolate daily works for you then stick with it! And ENJOY EVERY BITE OF IT!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you want it, factor it in to the day's calories. You have to live and the best way to make a change is to learn to incorporate responsibly rather than feel deprived and then binge. IMHO
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Budget that little piece of chocolate into your day, and don't over indulge and you will be fine. I did not give up anything, just controlled my portions and frequency.