Struggling with logging every snack and nibble!

Options
Hi I am young mother and homeschooler of 3 boys and launching a new business. Its safe to say i am busy and I just grab things on the go as a snack and sometimes I am leaving my meals too long and get starving and just grab and either justify it will be okay or if I do log it I soon realise its gone wayyy too high. I think i may be underestimating what I am eating as my weight is not shifting as quick.

I know the key is probably planning. But does anyone have any tips in this area.

Replies

• LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you, like so many others, have a smartphone, download the mfp app. Each time you nibble a snack, whip out the phone and log it. You'll soon have it figured out.

Exactly...and it's made even easier again with the barcode scanner. Best. Thing. Ever. :D
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Having low calorie, easy to grab snacks on hand will help. I try to keep those easy to see and grab, and those higher calorie items either out of sight (if I must have them for others in the house) or just don't buy them. I enjoy SkinnyPop popcorn, Greek yogurt, protein bars, string cheese and fresh fruit. As you said, planning will also need to come into play at meals. I like to cook 2 big dinners during the week and eat left overs on the other nights. P.S. I'm a full-time working mom to 3 kids 8 and under (1 with special needs) so I understand. :smile:
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do pre-planning and pre-logging and the app really helps.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I prelog exactly what I'm having for every meal and snack at least a week in advance. I plan my shopping around it and vice versa. However, I live alone and I'm sure it can be harder for someone with kids. Meal prep snacks are a really good idea even if you stay home. I know I'm more likely to eat a healthy snack if it's already preportioned and ready to go waiting. And don't forget if you using the app you can scan the barcode of a prepackaged snack you're about to eat and log it quickly (after checking to be sure that the nutrition facts are accurate in the database).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    It's also helpful if you knew what your typical go to Convenient grab-and-go Food is. Sometimes if I'm in a rush in the morning and I leave the house without taking time to make a lunch, I will get a sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. The one I like in particular is about 650 calories. So I have to count the cost of that. But that's the one that I like. Now the fact of the matter is because it's 650 calories I haven't had one in a month LOL.

I make it a priority when I get up in the morning to make sure I have time to pack my lunch.

What helps for me is having the same thing everyday for several days (until I get tired of it.) For example I might just have 2 oz of turkey an ounce of cheese rolled up in a flat-out flatbread. It's actually extremely filling because the flat out flatbread has 9 grams of fiber and lots of protein in it as well as opposed to a regular tortilla. For only 90 calories So it's a pretty hefty lunch for less than 300 calories. Very convenient & easy.

I have a lot of the same snacks day after day.

It takes planning. That's all. Plain and simple.
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi I am young mother and homeschooler of 3 boys and launching a new business. Its safe to say i am busy and I just grab things on the go as a snack and sometimes I am leaving my meals too long and get starving and just grab and either justify it will be okay or if I do log it I soon realise its gone wayyy too high. I think i may be underestimating what I am eating as my weight is not shifting as quick.

I know the key is probably planning. But does anyone have any tips in this area.

You might not like hearing this. The key to making sure you log everything you eat is simple: don't eat anything you won't log. If you are about to grab a couple of chips, just don't. Yes, that means go hungry for a bit. Yeah, you'll be uncomfortable for a bit, until the next time you can eat AND log your food. It's very easy to make excuses. So just don't. Be disciplined and stop snacking.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

My only tip is - don't snack and nibble. Stick to your regular meals - breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and accurately record what you have.
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the week grab your healthy snacks, some small snack bags and your food scale. Prepare them and toss them into a bin for yourself. Write the calories on the bag. That way every time you pick something up you have no excuse but know what you are eating. I agree with downloading MFP to your device and preloading all those snacks in there so it takes one minute to log it.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Premeasure foods from home, before you take them. If you are doing fast food, stick with meals you aleady know the count for and have set in your recents list. For on the go stuff, stick with just a few options so you already know how much you are going to be eating, and don't have to worry about searching database and calculating for.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Everyone pretty much touched on everything. MFP is only as accurate as the entries you put in.

1. Preplan snacks
    2. No munching (see #1)
    3. If you really want it, you have to log it
    4. Can’t weigh it or figure out the portion size? If you are trying to lose weight...leave it for now. If you are losing weight by honestly logging, go ahead and treat yourself. If you do this often but can’t figure out why you’re not losing, the answer is right here.

Logging can be a pain in the rear, but losing weight isn’t easy. If you want it done for you, pay for a portion plan like Nutrisystem.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat over my calorie goal, it's because I didn't log it ahead of time.

I'm most successful when I plan my meals at least a day ahead of time. After the kids are asleep for the night, and I've had my evening snack, I map out my food for the next day. It helps me remember what I need to pack for meals at work, I'm at home so I can check what we have in the fridge for dinner, and since I've recently eaten I'm not meal planning while hungry (which for me works just like grocery shopping while hungry).

Another thing that helps me a lot is prepping snacks right after my weekly grocery shopping. I shop on Sundays and later that night (again- after the kids are asleep) I prep my snacks. That means cutting up fruits and veggies, portioning out nuts in single serving sized baggies and/or making up a batch of protein bars. Since these are my usual snacks I know how many calories are in each. In a pinch I can grab any of these things and know I won't be caught off guard by the number of calories in any of them.
  • SophiaJane81
    SophiaJane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wowwwww. Thank you everyone for your amazing advice. I am going to get planning and prepping!!!!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating was a huge pitfall for me. I've solved it by going vegan, though that's an extreme move and not what I'm suggesting (and didn't go vegan to quit mindless eating!). Stock up on healthy snacks and plan. That's what I've done to keep me going now that I won't just grab whatever is at hand.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Get singles.

a)Chips, nuts, trail mix, crackers, etc.

b)Or make singles. Buy bulk and use the snack bags. Weigh each bag.

a costs you money, b costs you time.

Either way, once they're prelogged, all you have to do is adjust the weight in your diary. And when I say prelogged I mean saved in your favorites.

Prelogging and planning helps too. that way you have your snacks all ready and in your snack bag/purse/lunch box/bento compartment. If at the end of the day, something is still remaining, you can unlog it, or you can eat it.