2 hrs of workout no loss?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its 5 days...that's not enough time. Have patience.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Trust MFP - enter your weight, sedentary lifestyle and to lose 1lbs per week. Eat that amount then eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Weigh your food on a food scale and continue to eat "clean" if that works for you. I enjoy jogging and do so at least 4 times a week. When I take a break from exercise for 2 day that is when I drop weight on the scale. I retain water when I run daily. Hope this helps.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Foodorlife wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    5 days isn't really flipping your life. It's 5 days. What were you expecting to happen in 5 days?
    Let me explain, I did 2 weeks of cutting calories and absolutely zero activity and bam! 5 lbs gone each week, here I am doing everything the same eating wise and MAJORLY incorporated exercise. I mean, don't you see why I am confused?

Congratulations on your losses and starting a fitness program! I understand your frustration. Weight loss is largely math. I know we all hate math but it is just about calories ingested vs. calories burned. If you plug your stats into a BMR calculator you will get an estimate of what your body needs just to exist. I don't know your height or age so I did a really unscientific estimate and came up with 1930. Remember that I guessed you are female, 40 and 5'6" tall. This could be way off. If you exercise at 400 calories a day that means to maintain your weight you need 2330 calories a day. If you are eating 1200 only you save 7910 a week which at 3500 for a pound works out to 2.26 pounds lost a week. So if you lost 5 pounds a week you might have lost some water which is very normal at the beginning of a weight loss program of any sort. There are scientific reasons for that but I am not going to try to explain it since I'm not a scientist. Now eventually the water level in your body adjusts and your fat loss although it continues is masked. Adding exercise will cause you to retain some additional water as explained already. Keep going kiddo you are doing great! Don't depend only on the scale it lies sometimes. Your weight loss will catch up and you will be so glad you didn't quit.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    5 days isn't really flipping your life. It's 5 days. What were you expecting to happen in 5 days?

Let me explain, I did 2 weeks of cutting calories and absolutely zero activity and bam! 5 lbs gone each week, here I am doing everything the same eating wise and MAJORLY incorporated exercise. I mean, don't you see why I am confused?

That loss was most likely water weight lost. Now, exercise is needing the water and your muscles are using it, not shedding it. relax.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You defiantly are retaining water with new exercise. You may also be retaining water because of stress. You seem to be eating only 1500 calories. Eat back a few of those exercise calories and don't rush things so much. Use a trending app for your weight as mentioned are try for 1.5 to 2lbs per week. 5lbs/week, although likely was some water weight is not sustainable.
  • Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all responses, I am not new to work out or eating better, last year I lost 25 lbs without gym or very very light exercise (but through out years I've done various exercises: pilates, bodyflex, regular squats/crunches/etc., elliptical). However, I am new to working out intensively, but you've explained why it takes time :) I get it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    You'll get there :) And hey, keep up with this and I'm sure you can change your username to something more positive, once you found out how to eat food you like (in moderation) and life well.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. Also, find a few other ways of tracking any losses. For example, I'd highly recommend taking weekly measurements of several areas of your body, plus take front, back and side photos in similar outfits and stances.

An example of why this is so important - this last week, the scale didn't budge an inch from where it was last week for me. Not even 0.1 pound down. My measurements, however, showed I lost 1/4" off ALL of the areas where I have fat to lose (my body stores fat in a very "apple" shape, but I have a few measurements I track for muscle gain as well, especially in my atrophied leg).

The measurements showed things were working, even if the scale didn't. Scales are fickle. You need a few data points.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting weights again, my scale went UP SEVEN POUNDS. Fortunately, I'd already read here about new exercise programs and water retention, so didn't freak out. Took a few weeks to come off.
  • Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Initial weight loss is almost 80% water. It is not unusual for someone to start restricting calories, dump a bunch of water and muscle glycogen, and think “this is awesome”.

You start exercising and now the reverse starts to happen—the body starts storing glycogen and increasing plasma volume. If you are losing fat that rate of loss is much slower and so—wham—everything comes to a screeching halt.

There is also a tendency to decrease casual activity in response to an exercise program—especially a high-volume one like yours. That offsets some of the calorie burn.

And, lastly, when substantially increasing exercise there is a tendency to eat a little more. Don’t know your details, so I’m not saying that’s for sure, just throwing out the most common scenarios.

Hang in there. If you are doing what you saying you are doing, then your program will start to work. If you are consistently in a deficit you must lose weight. If you continue to stay “stalled” then somehow you are in an energy balance.

Thanks for input, as I've said I do not eat back my calories, also my diary is open. I used to eat well over 3k calories before weightloss, so this is a nice deficit I have now, I will have a break tomorrow and see if it does anything well.
  • avocados9
    avocados9 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You won't automatically lose 1lb every week. If only it was that awesome and easy! Good luck .
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Ok so its been 5 days and no results. Ask yourself this question, how long did it take to put on all the weight? For me it has been over 25+ years.

This is about changing your lifestyle from here on out. The weight loss will come with time and I mean more then what you might think. Your setting yourself up for mental failure if you expect things to work fast.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Less is more. you'll get advice all over the place here. For me, working out like a nut stalls weight loss. losing pounds of fat is different than working out to build muscles and endurance. don't mix them up in your head. And starving your body all of a sudden shocks it. just eat healthy...and stick to your calorie goal if you do work out.l you have to fuel your body by eating more. stop being an extremist.