350+ pounds Support for Men & Women

Options

Replies

• fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Evening all! Well depending on where you are anyway. I'm in the UK so it's evening here. Great to see so many people joining the thread.

@bigjonb4116 that is an absolutely fantastic achievement. I'd love to be able to lose that much but will be happy if I can manage 10st in the next few years!
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi @heather2012mcfarland I've joined yesterday it's a fab group ;) I see a dietation too hunny every 8 weeks. She's lovely. I also gained in the last 5 years :( I will try and add you as a friend hunny if ok? Xxxx
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @fatoldladyonamission hope you have had a good day hunny? I am sipping my green tea. Xxxx
  • evilfairies
    evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, is there an actual group for people to join? I skimmed back through all the pages but didn't see anything. I love how supportive everyone is!
  • evilfairies
    evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    EvilFairies... I read these blogs to keep me on track, get me in a positive mood for the day & at the end of the day to keep my head & hands busy away from snacking . You are the 1st to prompt me to reply. My family is far, genuinely concerned, but don't quite "get it". Sleep wins. I'll put on my sneakers, head downstairs to feed the cats, then lay back down on the bed with sneakers on to sleep for another hour. People suggest a light walk, my knee hurts, I limp the whole way. I detest walking. Bingeing is a box, not a sleeve. I've started to get healthy at 335, the 3rd time in my life. It's possible but it SUCKS & it's hard and worse each time, age is not my friend. Down 2.5 lbs week 1. Can't look long term, weekly goals only. I am forcing myself to sit on the kitchen chair to eat. My butt hurts, my thighs fall asleep, makes me less likely to want to stay here to binge. Couch is a no-no zone. Im sharing MFP with my Mom to keep track of food. I say and hope exercise will be easier with less weight, no time or $ for gym. I've done this before.. yo-yo. Time to break the string on the down drop. I love music, so I crank it up & find I'll dance before I walk. Great videos. I have a bike... promising myself to stay motivated and try every day. One day I'll stay awake, get moving & sit in a chair without my feet falling asleep. Evil fairy.. add someone who does not judge to your friends on MFP. I GET IT, get you. My job is 24/7 365... love my job but fitting in fitness is not easy. Keep going... we can do this together.

Yes! This is exactly me. I like the idea of weekly goals instead of long term ones. It gets too overwhelming when you think about having to lose 150+ lbs. I currently work towards 10 lbs at a time to keep myself from going insane, and then I look ahead maybe 3-4 days and decide what I'm going to do to work out in those days.

I do have long term goals, like to be svelte af, but I know that's not going to happen overnight so it's baby steps until then!
  • abowman4221
    abowman4221 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since WLS has been a topic on here. I found out that my insurance company would cover it at my starting BMI because it was over 50 (it was 54) without a comorbidity or medically supervised diet for 6mos, so I asked my Dr about it and she told me that she would like for me to be on a medically supervised for the 6 mos just to see how I would do on my own. She said if it does not work she will refer me for the surgery. I am glad she did that. I started going to Medi-Weightloss because my insurance pays for and I have lost 50lbs since Oct. and now my BMI is low enough 46.1 that I would need a comorbidity to have the surgery.

I am at a point though that I can relate to the mental exhaustion and I am pretty sure that I have gained a pound or two this week. This week has been bad for some reason and I think that it might be seasonal depression setting in...oh boy! One day at time is the motto for now.
  • nevermore1818
    nevermore1818 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Bertha I am starting my journey I am at an all-time high at 414 lb I have always been a big girl and losing weight has always been very hard for me my diets have been yo-yo diets 4 as long as I can remember but I'm at the point in my life that I have to lose the weight or it's going to kill me. I am definitely looking for accountability partners and if I could find somebody in my local area to maybe start walking with me that would be awesome. Going on this journeys alone is very difficult and having the support of other people that are in your same position makes it a little less embarrassing for me. Have a beautiful day everybody.
  • pstimie79
    pstimie79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I would really like to take up swimming, but unfortunately, there isn't a pool close by to me :(

One thing I found last summer while on a camping trip is that I really enjoyed hiking. While its unfortunately not the kind of exercise I can do on a daily basis, I really want to take some trips to some local trails this summer. The only downside to that is that I'll have to go alone, and I'm not so sure of the sensibility of that![/quote]

Unfortunately the world is evil outhere, here by us in south africa, we have some awesome hiking trails, myself is not the hiking type, but i love the outdoors, picnics etc. myself wish i had a pool, our community pool has been closed down for some unknow reason. i really hope u can get someone to go with u on your hiking trips.
  • pstimie79
    pstimie79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    Good morning (or evening or midday) to you all! And welcome to all the new people! @Tayykisses you are absolutely welcome here!

I noticed there has been a lot of discussion on WLS over the last day or so and I wanted to throw my two cents into the bucket. My dad had his first WLS (lap band) back in 2005. He was about 600 lbs at the time. Over the next year he went from a size 64 pants to a size 44. It was phenomenal... but buy 2009 he started regaining weight. The lap band was giving him trouble, wouldn’t stay in place and he learned what foods he could eat more of. Unfortunately, those foods happen to be things like ice cream and potato chips because, while calorie dense, they don’t take up a lot of space. By 2010 he gained all of the the weight back. In 2015 he had a second surgery (gastric sleeve) he lost maybe 100 lbs but gained it all back. The problem is, he never learned how to eat right and the surgeries pretty much keep him from eating nutritious foods.

I realize that there have been many success stories with WLS, but there have been many horror stories as well. I encourage everyone who is considering it to read both sides. Doctors sell it as a miracle cure, but it is far from that.

I myself heard alot of success stories, but personally, if i can learn to eat healthier get use to it aswell, ill rather lose my 100+lbs in 2 to 3 years knowing my body is healty.
  • freddieg275
    freddieg275 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Been really awesome reading all of the stories similar to my own. I'm a week in now. Always accepting friends for more support and motivation. I try to dish a bunch out myself!
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Going on this journeys alone is very difficult and having the support of other people that are in your same position makes it a little less embarrassing for me. Have a beautiful day everybody.

Bertha, I just started this journey myself last week and have found the people here to be incredibly supportive and their stories are really encouraging. Happy to meet you!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    ....I realize that there have been many success stories with WLS, but there have been many horror stories as well. I encourage everyone who is considering it to read both sides. Doctors sell it as a miracle cure, but it is far from that.

I completely agree! I just would love to see people really do thorough research before making that decision and know what they are getting into, what to expect, and what it takes to make it succeed. And you are so right - the thing that really angers me about WLS is that it IS being pushed as a miracle cure right now, both by the medical community and by the media.

Hey guys, is there an actual group for people to join? I skimmed back through all the pages but didn't see anything. I love how supportive everyone is!

Perhaps the OP will be willing to start one!

If you'd like to join some existing groups, I found a couple in the last year:

300+
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1140-300
    This one is a little quiet, but it does have folks who will respond to questions and comments

100+ pounds with NO surgery
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
    this one, of course, isn't for everyone, but this community resonates with my goal of losing weight without resorting to WLS. I just joined it tough, so I can speak to the type of folks on there. So far so good! And it seems to be quite active

Let's Lose it: 100+lbs
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/119238-lets-lose-it-100-lbs
    This one was really active last spring but has pretty much gone dead silent. However, some fresh, talkative members could bring it back around! It's got an accountability thread going that a few folks still post too.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Since WLS has been a topic on here. I found out that my insurance company would cover it at my starting BMI because it was over 50 (it was 54) without a comorbidity or medically supervised diet for 6mos, so I asked my Dr about it and she told me that she would like for me to be on a medically supervised for the 6 mos just to see how I would do on my own. She said if it does not work she will refer me for the surgery. I am glad she did that. I started going to Medi-Weightloss because my insurance pays for and I have lost 50lbs since Oct. and now my BMI is low enough 46.1 that I would need a comorbidity to have the surgery.

I am at a point though that I can relate to the mental exhaustion and I am pretty sure that I have gained a pound or two this week. This week has been bad for some reason and I think that it might be seasonal depression setting in...oh boy! One day at time is the motto for now.

That's very sound, sensible advice and the sort I sorely wish more doctors would give!

Congratulations on the achievement! It's a fantastic feeling when that BMI gets below 50; I can totally relate to that!

Sorry for the depression problems :disappointed: Depression can be the worst enemy! You've got the right idea: one day at a time! And tomorrow is a new day, right?

Hi everyone my name is Bertha I am starting my journey I am at an all-time high at 414 lb I have always been a big girl and losing weight has always been very hard for me my diets have been yo-yo diets 4 as long as I can remember but I'm at the point in my life that I have to lose the weight or it's going to kill me. I am definitely looking for accountability partners and if I could find somebody in my local area to maybe start walking with me that would be awesome. Going on this journeys alone is very difficult and having the support of other people that are in your same position makes it a little less embarrassing for me. Have a beautiful day everybody.

I know that feeling very well! I was on my own when I started serious efforts last year to lose weight again. My best friend was somewhat supportive but we only talk ever few weeks. My mother, whenever I broached the subject, would change the topic quickly, and my dad and sister would just ignore me all together. My brother and I could talk about it some, but he's the kind thats quick to push fad diets and though calorie counting was working for me, he kept trying to talk me into trying all sorts of other things. And then he decided to have WLS, so any discussion on weight loss ended up down that pipeline.

MFP and the friends I've made here have been wonderful for giving me the encouragement and support I needed to keep going. Folks here will let me rant about my frustrations, will sympathize with my struggles, and will celebrate my successes with me, and there have been times that has been absolutely vital to me!
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Evening all! Well depending on where you are anyway. I'm in the UK so it's evening here. Great to see so many people joining the thread.

@bigjonb4116 that is an absolutely fantastic achievement. I'd love to be able to lose that much but will be happy if I can manage 10st in the next few years!

Thank you.
  • gin_rummy
    gin_rummy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mellykay88 I hadn't found the group! Heading over there now.....
  • brennabear88
    brennabear88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am starting my journey at 350lbs after having my first child 2 months ago. Motivation is my biggest struggle especially in the winter when it's to cold to be outside(nw ia). I am now a sahm so my activity level has greatly decreased and I am afraid of what will happen if I don't do something about it now. I want to be healthier not only for myself but for my husband and daughter as well. We live in a small rural area so there's not much around for doing indoor walking.
  • alevans4
    alevans4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am starting my journey at 350lbs after having my first child 2 months ago. Motivation is my biggest struggle especially in the winter when it's to cold to be outside(nw ia). I am now a sahm so my activity level has greatly decreased and I am afraid of what will happen if I don't do something about it now. I want to be healthier not only for myself but for my husband and daughter as well. We live in a small rural area so there's not much around for doing indoor walking.
    When I started trying to walk more I literally paced in my apartment for x minutes at a time. Felt stupid, but it got me moving. You can do it :smile:

• bmeadows380
    Options
    alevans4 wrote: »
    When I started trying to walk more I literally paced in my apartment for x minutes at a time. Felt stupid, but it got me moving. You can do it :smile:

*grins* I do that when i'm on the phone. I can't just sit still and talk; I'm walking from room to room, circling the living room, and just generally pacing around.

I think that means I need to make more phone calls!