Eating at a deficit but not loosing weight!! Help!!

Options
Hi everyone

I’m really hoping someone could give me some advice with my current weight loss problem!!

Ok so I weigh 126lbs (9 stone) and my goal is to get to appoximately 117lbs (8st 5lbs), but I don’t seem to be loosing weight.

Ok, so I’ll be honest, I don’t eat clean, i really struggle to stick to clean eating but from what I gather, eating at a deficit, no matter what the good is, should still cause me to loose weigt but I don’t seem to be.

I work out three times a week, typically mon, tue, wed as these are my days off work and I usually do 15 minutes on the stepper then I go on to a work out class and this is body conditioning on Monday and Tuesday and boxfit on a Wednesday. The body conditioning classes consist of body weight and actual weights for strength training. In addition to this, I will do my own weight work outs using free weights and machines but not particularly heavy weights.

I tend to try and stick to 1200 cals a day and I eat back half of my exercise calories so I think I must be consuming around 1400 cals on work or days and try to stick to the 1200 cals when not working out.

The thing is, for the last few weeks I haven’t lost a single pound of weight!! Sometimes I might drop a pound but the next day it’s back up again!

I just don’t understand it as surely I’m eating at a deficit???

Can someone please shed some light on what I could be doing wrong??

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

do you weigh your food with scales?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    What's going on during the weekends when you don't track? If you are having "cheat" days you could be very easily diminishing your deficits from the days you do actually track.
  • leah9985
    leah9985 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses. I think you are right and patience is key and it’s going to come off a lot slower than I was hoping.

At the weekends I am less strict but still try to remain at a deficit on sundays, but saturdays I probably consume around 1500 cals but surely this wouldn’t wipe out my deficit for the week?

I shall make sure that I check what I log but I tend to always over compensate than under. So sometimes if I think I may have had a 1/2 of something I will put a whole so that I am definitely not under logging my food.

I appreciate any input from you guys, it’s good to hear that some people have lost weight but it has just taken time.

Anyone know if eating half your exercise calories back is the right or wrong thing to do??
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How long have you been at it that you haven't been seeing any loss? Are you also comparing measurements to see if maybe you're losing inches rather than the scale #?

Do you actually weigh out your portions or are you more eyeballing them?

ETA - And if you're already at what a healthy weight (I'm assuming) and just looking to lose vanity lbs, than you're probably going to look at a 1/2 lb a week loss versus 1 or 2 lbs.

And to put it out there - have you considered more looking into body recomposition versus the scale #? Meaning maybe consider progressing in strength/lifting weight versus more a focus on cardio or lighter weights/higher reps? (You can also progress with bodyweight exercises if you're doing harder versions of certain exercises)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    leah9985 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your responses. I think you are right and patience is key and it’s going to come off a lot slower than I was hoping.

At the weekends I am less strict but still try to remain at a deficit on sundays, but saturdays I probably consume around 1500 cals but surely this wouldn’t wipe out my deficit for the week?

I shall make sure that I check what I log but I tend to always over compensate than under. So sometimes if I think I may have had a 1/2 of something I will put a whole so that I am definitely not under logging my food.

I appreciate any input from you guys, it’s good to hear that some people have lost weight but it has just taken time.

Anyone know if eating half your exercise calories back is the right or wrong thing to do??

It depends on what the exercise is, and what estimation method is being used.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    channi_c wrote: »
    try increasing your calories, when I was eating at around 1200 I wasn't loosing any weight, I needed to be around 1400 on an average day and slightly more on work out days.

hope this helps :)

No one loses more weight by eating more calories.

Unless the extra fuel makes you feel more energized to increase your excercise levels.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If someone says they're "probably" consuming a certain amount on the weekend, that tells me that logging consistency and accuracy may be an issue. Losing the last few pounds generally requires a lot of consistence and accuracy. I suggest tightening up the logging and removing the "probably" from the equation.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

It is recommended on mfp to eat at least some of your excercise calories back.