Post Exercise Relaxation ideas

Options
I am going to be doing exercise late in the evening, about 2 maybe 3 hours before I go to bed, simply because this is the only time I will get a chance to do it. I remember before, when I done exercise in the evening time, my body didn't wound down after it and I found I developed insomnia as a result. I just had a lot of energy which seem to release in the middle of the night. I felt lile i drank alot of coffee before i went to bed. Anyway, I was wondering would taking magnesium supplements aid muscle relaxation post exercise or is there anything else I could do or take to stop developing insomnia when I go to sleep?

Replies

• Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements can have a drowsy affect on some people. Melatonin is another great way to unwind at bedtime. You could try meditation, for me it has been the best thing I ever did!

Good Luck
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Since this is a new routine you haven't even started yet I would wait to see if your body settles down naturally once you have been doing it a week. You might find that exercise helps you sleep better. Getting ideas on how to combat a possible issue is a good idea, but don't start treating something if you don't know you are going to have it just yet.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Since this is a new routine you haven't even started yet I would wait to see if your body settles down naturally once you have been doing it a week. You might find that exercise helps you sleep better. Getting ideas on how to combat a possible issue is a good idea, but don't start treating something if you don't know you are going to have it just yet.

+1 your body will adjust overtime, taking something can cause you to become reliant on that substance to sleep in the future. Let your body adjust and don't drink coffee within about 6 hours before bed.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Glycine supplement. There are no negative side effects. Promotes restful sleep and aid muscle growth.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Two rounds in the sauna should help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,687 Member
    Options
    Relaxation techniques; meditation; warm bubble bath (maybe with a relaxing scent); limit TV and screen time between exercise & bed; comfortably cool room temp for sleeping; avoid bright lights before bed; play calming music; warm non-stimulating herbal tea (not a "sleep aid" tea, particularly, just not stimulant).

I'd try things like that before trying supplements/drugs too.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Relaxation techniques; meditation; warm bubble bath (maybe with a relaxing scent); limit TV and screen time between exercise & bed; comfortably cool room temp for sleeping; avoid bright lights before bed; play calming music; warm non-stimulating herbal tea (not a "sleep aid" tea, particularly, just not stimulant).

I'd try things like that before trying supplements/drugs too.

I would also add, no phone, tablet or computers because they produce blue light rays that tend to stimulate us and make it difficult to sleep.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    For the last month or so, I've been doing 10-30 minutes of stretching within an hour of trying to fall asleep, and it seems to be helping a lot with both getting to sleep and staying asleep. With low light and soft music it's almost like meditation and really helps me get out of my own head. I don't know if it would help with the post-exercise wakefulness (I work out first thing in the AM most days), but it probably wouldn't hurt.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Meditation, a warm bath and a chamomile tea. All good for you :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my cycling intervals in the evening after work and usually have a nice soak in the jet tub afterwards with a glass of red wine...then I feel amazing and go cook dinner and have another glass of wine, eat, and then pass the FO.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Are you doing just cardio? That's more likely to be stimulating than heavy strength training, which has the opposite effect for many. But it should be heavy, preferably compound lifts, not little "toning" moves that are all too common.
    For cardio, keep that challenging as well (intervals/HIIT).
    Avoid high-carb meals after, since that could boost your energy. :+1:
  • Greybeard51
    Greybeard51 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a free app called relax melodies. It has worked great for me and a friend of mine who I recommended it to. Worth a try for the price lol
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I 've started doing daily yoga and I'm finding it really helps with relaxing,try to read a book in bed a bit instead of being on my phone (still working on that one ).

I don't have tv in my bedroom so bedroom is just for sleeping,not doing paperwork or watching tv.