I do between 2 to 3 hours of cardio a day and I'm still gaining weight, please help.

Options
In a nut shell, I started working out in May of 2017. I was 255ish pounds, 28 years old and 6'2.

I've been on a calorie count diet since then as well. Since May I've gotten down to 182.4( that was mid day this Saturday 1-20) since then I've gained weight, a loy of weight. I weighed in a few moments ago at 191.3.

My one day a week off are Sundays, i didn't go crazy over eating. I ate approx. 3500 on my day off, pretty much learn protien, nuts, fruits and veggies.

I've progressively put more weight on since Saturday. Monday i was 18t, Tuesday i was betwewn 185-187 , i didn't weigh yesterday.

Ive been under my daily calorie goal every day( since I've started in May I've gone over 6 times , 3 where during thr holidays) I make a point to under estimate my calories burned while exercising and overstating when I'm eating just to be on the safe side when I'm logging. I eat about 3,600 calories ( 45-50 carb 25 fat rest protein- I rarely hit my fat )on average, I have an active lifestyle so according to my fitness pal my maintenance is 2600 and I burn between 24 and 2600 a day

This has really bumed me out. What is wrong with me?

What can I do to help get this number down? And why is it fluctuating so much and staying there?

If it was water, wouldn't it quickly jump up and down?

I know this gets brought up a lot but I have never read a case like mine where it's such a drastic increase. It is pretty common for me to pack on a couple pounds here in there but it's never done this at this amount for this long.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Maybe open your diary, but I know a sushi meal can add 3-4 lbs on me. I use too much soy sauce.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are your calorie numbers definitely right? I'm a similar size to you and mine are much lower than that. Losing I'm at about 1,900 per day.
  • charlied8817
    charlied8817 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are your calorie numbers definitely right? I'm a similar size to you and mine are much lower than that. Losing I'm at about 1,900 per day.

I weigh all my food and count down to the pretzel I eat. If I'm not sure or go out to eat I over estimate to be on the safe side.

For exercise calories, i under estimate what the cardio machines say. I use a fitbit and Samsung health for runs and I average those numbers together.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So before Saturday, everything was going fine? If that's the case, don't worry. You can't have gained 9lbs in fat since Saturday. Worry about it if the trend continues to go up over the next few weeks (or if you start to feel unwell, of course, in which case see a Dr). My weight fluctuates by about 5lbs day to day (which is a lot relative to my size as I'm 160 and a 5'6 female). And that's fluctuations based on weighing at the same time of day, on an empty stomach, etc. If I weighed in the evening or after a meal, it would be even more.
  • charlied8817
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    I work out 1 hr / day. I'm 6'1" about 205 lbs, and my settings put me at 1810 calories per day. I don't eat the additional calories for Net Calories. I stay at 1810, or a hair lower. I have my set a sedentary since I work at my desk most of the day, and set at 1 lb / week loss. I am set a 40% carbs / 35% prot / 25% fat. Are you watching your Macros as well?

To me 3600 calories a day is way too much, don't trust that it says your are burning 2600 calories each day. You are eating double what I eat per day. I would try dropping down to 2200 calories per day and watch your macros.

I under estimate my exercise calories and RARELY eat anywhere near my total for the day. I normally eat 35-50% back.

I'm normally at 23-26k steps daily.
  • charlied8817
    Options
    So before Saturday, everything was going fine? If that's the case, don't worry. You can't have gained 9lbs in fat since Saturday. Worry about it if the trend continues to go up over the next few weeks (or if you start to feel unwell, of course, in which case see a Dr). My weight fluctuates by about 5lbs day to day (which is a lot relative to my size as I'm 160 and a 5'6 female). And that's fluctuations based on weighing at the same time of day, on an empty stomach, etc. If I weighed in the evening or after a meal, it would be even more.

Before Sunday, it was normal for me to jump 2-4 lbs. Obviously depending on what I ate and what not. It's never been this mich weight for so long. A couple days I get.

I always weight in the AM after the bathroom , naked. Same scale.
  • charlied8817
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    At your size it could certainly be water weight, but my take is this...

if you're not losing weight appropriately you are eating too many calories. i would question how much you are actually burning with exercise/maintenance because those numbers don't sound right to me.
    It's only been since Sunday. chill. It can just be a high salt meal.

What do you mean on Tuesday you were 185-187? Are you weighing multiple times a day and expecting the same result?

I weighed in the Am before my workout and in the PM after a run.

Even tho it's been 5 days?

Thanks for your reply.

5 days is nothing, our bodies can hold on to water weight for months in the case of surgeries etc.

You can't weigh twice a day and compare the numbers. Weigh the same time every day wearing nothing. The morning after using the bathroom is most accurate.
    If you do it later in the day you have added food weight and water weight from eating and drinking. After a run you will hold water for muscle repair but some days you will have lost due to sweating etc.

Why are you running every single day?

I weigh on the same scale, in the am, after the bathroom naked.

To stay in shape and not gain is why I run 6 out of 7 days a week.
  • charlied8817
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Have you recalculated your calorie amounts since you lost weight? You won't have the same results if you're eating the same number of calories MFP recommended when you were 70 pounds heavier.

Yes- Everytime I loss i update it in Samsung health and MFP.

I normally finish each day well in the green. On average of 1000 calories.