Would eating only nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables be healthy?

Options

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why???
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    why not eat whole eggs? The many nutrients in egg yolk are necessary for life, such as B12, that is typically missing in vegan diet. https://www.healthline.com/health/egg-yolk-nutrition#nutrition
    Also, omega 3 fats from animal sources such as fatty fish (and egg yolks too!) are a different type that is better absorbed by the body than omega 3 fats from plant sources like flax seed. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/09/11/omega-3-from-plants-vs-marine-animals.aspx
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to take a couple of specific vitamins/supplements to address potential deficiencies?

Yes, which supplements?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Would you be willing to take a couple of specific vitamins/supplements to address potential deficiencies?

Yes, which supplements?

Dunno, sorry. I'm not well versed in your diet, so I'm not sure what nutrients you are most apt to be short in (I eat almost the exact opposite of what you are proposing). I'd log foods for a week or 2, then do some reporting on vitamins/nutrients to see how you're doing... then supplement as needed.

If I'm not mistaken, aside from the egg whites, your proposed diet is very vegetarian-ish. You could probably talk to a few vegetarians and see what nutrients they struggle to get enough of, and use that as a basis for what you do or don't supplement.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think this is an excellent foundation for things to always have in the house, especially if you are eating an absolute rainbow of fruits and veg, and a very wide variety of nuts and seeds.

But why not throw in something like sandwiches as well? They are not difficult and would add additional variety in things you are missing: get deli packs of turkey, ham, chicken and salami, get some sliced cheddar and provolone, get some 100% whole grain bread, get some mustard or mayo, and pile it up with that rainbow of veggies (tomatoes, avocados, sprouts, spinach, romaine, onions, olives, etc.) you are meaning to eat.

We are meant to be scavengers; you could also get out and "scavenge" at a restaurant of grocery deli section from time to time and get in some easy variety that way, with whatever happens to meet your fancy.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Would a limited diet such as the items you listed be sustainable for you? Would you be able to eat enough of those to get your minimum calories in for the day? I think I would starve on a limited diet. Or at least binge when I had cravings for other foods.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sounds like a plan, with some reserves. Add B12 vitamin or some meat, even little. Add beans too.

"Mostly whole plant" works fabulous for people who can handle it. It is the only known way to reduce and prevent naturally coronary diseases.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    You might need a B12 vitamin due to not much meat. There is such a wide variety of vegetables and fruits you could choose from. You can get some carbs from sweet potatos, all fruits, nuts and grains. Nonstarchy vegetables still contain healthy carbohydrates, just not as many. You can get, fiber, protein & carbs from nuts, green, white, black, red or garbonzo beans. Quinoa which is actually a seed has a lot of protein and can be mixed into salads, vegetable bowls and soups. You might be getting more micronutrients than people on a high protein diet. I would read up and talk to Dr or a dietitian about you're mostly vegetarian but not vegan diet plans. In the beginning you will have to make a bit of effort to figure out a healthy diet for yourself. You can do it.

• DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options

Yes, which supplements?

Dunno, sorry. I'm not well versed in your diet, so I'm not sure what nutrients you are most apt to be short in (I eat almost the exact opposite of what you are proposing). I'd log foods for a week or 2, then do some reporting on vitamins/nutrients to see how you're doing... then supplement as needed.

If I'm not mistaken, aside from the egg whites, your proposed diet is very vegetarian-ish. You could probably talk to a few vegetarians and see what nutrients they struggle to get enough of, and use that as a basis for what you do or don't supplement.

I am a vegetarian, lol. Egg whites are okay for vegetarians to eat. Usually the main concerns nutritionally for vegetarians are iron and vitamin B12. I have never been deficient in iron, and I already take a B12 supplement. Iron absorption can be increased with vitamin C, too, so I will be eating nuts with fruit to hopefully keep my iron levels in a healthy range.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Yes, which supplements?

I am a vegetarian, lol. Egg whites are okay for vegetarians to eat. Usually the main concerns nutritionally for vegetarians are iron and vitamin B12. I have never been deficient in iron, and I already take a B12 supplement. Iron absorption can be increased with vitamin C, too, so I will be eating nuts with fruit to hopefully keep my iron levels in a healthy range.

Ah, then you're probably 75% of the way there.

As I said originally... I don't think it's ideal, but I don't think it's some horrible approach that will lead to the end of our species, either. You mentioned in your original post that those foods are easy and tasty, so that addresses most of the concerns related to adherence and over-restriction. I say give it a go.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't think it sounds unhealthy. All those foods are very healthy. Test it for 2-3 days. Log it in your diary and see what the nutrient calculator says. I think your biggest roadblock with it would be that you may get bored and not be able to continue eating like that for long and then quit. Also is it sustainable? Will you be able to eat like that forever and keep the weight off? Because that is the long term goal.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm probably missing something. You are choosing to have a vegetarian diet because its easier to put nuts, veg and fruits together? Is it that you also are preferring the idea of uncooked foods because, "the rawtrian", site will probably provide you with some good information.

If you are saying cooking meals as your family did is too time consuming and you are looking for something easy with less wasted. I did a search for "Healthy quick easy meals for one" and came up with pages of possible sites, I looked into some and the ideas were quite surprisingly easy, if you have the ingredients available. I find healthy is a movable thing, people can mean different thing by healthy.

If I have totally missed your point, I have looked into nutritional, vitamin/mineral etc. content of foods on several of the sites set up for this purpose. You could find some of the available sites will have done this for you in the way the incorporate different ingredients. Not all nutrients need to be represented each and every day many are on a regular/occasional basis.

I know food should be fun, you meals should be what you enjoy and sometimes shared with friends. I hope you find what is right for you, this is all that matters.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    I don't think it sounds unhealthy. All those foods are very healthy. Test it for 2-3 days. Log it in your diary and see what the nutrient calculator says. I think your biggest roadblock with it would be that you may get bored and not be able to continue eating like that for long and then quit. Also is it sustainable? Will you be able to eat like that forever and keep the weight off? Because that is the long term goal.

I am not trying to eat like this for weight loss; I just want to make eating easier and less time-consuming while still being healthy. I think you are right about testing it out and checking the nutrients on MFP.

I don't know if I will get bored or if it will feel freeing. I guess I'll give it a whirl! =)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Yes, which supplements?

You can get also iron from beans, leafy greens, dried fruits and other vegetable sources.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »

I am not trying to eat like this for weight loss; I just want to make eating easier and less time-consuming while still being healthy. I think you are right about testing it out and checking the nutrients on MFP.

I don't know if I will get bored or if it will feel freeing. I guess I'll give it a whirl! =)

Go for it then! I wish you much success! Also read what @biksy said. I agree with everything.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First you say this.
    I am tired of worrying about what to cook and what to eat, and nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables are easy to make and good foods to eat.

Then on page 2 you say this.
    I am a vegetarian

Which one is it?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    See title. And I am not referring to weight loss, just being healthy. Would that be enough nutrients?

I am tired of worrying about what to cook and what to eat, and nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables are easy to make and good foods to eat. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be missing something nutritionally important. I would be eating a variety of each (excluding egg whites obviously).

And since I know someone is going to ask why egg whites and not the whole egg, regular eggs make me sick. I can tolerate egg whites fine, though.

Thanks in advance!

Since we don't know what quantities you'd eat each food in, we're all just guessing at what might or might not happen on a diet like this. At first glance, it seems you'd be missing out on some nutritional powerhouses like beans and lentils. Whether or not that becomes an issue is hard to say with the information we have here.

If it were me, I might go log a sample day on a site like Chronometer and see what the nutritional breakdown looks like (since they track more micronutrients than MFP can). Once you know how the way to plan to eat actually looks, instead of basing information off a hypothetical list of foods, then you can work to clear up any missing nutrients.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options
    See title. And I am not referring to weight loss, just being healthy. Would that be enough nutrients?

I am tired of worrying about what to cook and what to eat, and nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables are easy to make and good foods to eat. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be missing something nutritionally important. I would be eating a variety of each (excluding egg whites obviously).

And since I know someone is going to ask why egg whites and not the whole egg, regular eggs make me sick. I can tolerate egg whites fine, though.

Thanks in advance!

Since we don't know what quantities you'd eat each food in, we're all just guessing at what might or might not happen on a diet like this. At first glance, it seems you'd be missing out on some nutritional powerhouses like beans and lentils. Whether or not that becomes an issue is hard to say with the information we have here.

If it were me, I might go log a sample day on a site like Chronometer and see what the nutritional breakdown looks like (since they track more micronutrients than MFP can). Once you know how the way to plan to eat actually looks, instead of basing information off a hypothetical list of foods, then you can work to clear up any missing nutrients.

I will look into Chronometer, thanks!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

You are missing oils and not sure if you can consume dairy but that's good in moderation.