Cannot complete diary w/ less than 1200 cal. consumed?

Options
dennisl31789
dennisl31789 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I started eating lesser portions of foods. Not just that, I eat more natural foods like salads, greens, etc. Somehow, I cannot complete my diary where I record the foods I ate. It said that I need more than 1000 calories to consume and I assumed that they against eat less diet. So I stopped posting diary and go along with what I’m doing next to workouts. Now I lost 3lbs. In few weeks, however I don’t know if I ‘m doing right or wrong. What’s your thoughts?

Replies

• dennisl31789
    dennisl31789 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wait, why?
    :/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I assume you're male based on your profile picture. You need to eat a minimum of net 1500 calories per day. If you're exercising, then you need to eat back exercise calories to make sure you aren't eating too little. 1000 calories per day is far too low for anyone, especially for men.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    myfitnesspal has stopped projecting your weight loss if you eat under 1000 calories because it is dangerous for your body to do so and they did not want to encourage that behavior, if i remember correctly.

the safest way to lose weight is to eat at least 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day.

OP is a male...1200 calories per day for a male is VLCD and should only be done under medical supervision. 1500 for a male is the bare minimum if sedentary. Most males can lose pretty easily on 2000-2300 calories per day.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I started eating lesser portions of foods. Not just that, I eat more natural foods like salads, greens, etc. Somehow, I cannot complete my diary where I record the foods I ate. It said that I need more than 1000 calories to consume and I assumed that they against eat less diet. So I stopped posting diary and go along with what I’m doing next to workouts. Now I lost 3lbs. In few weeks, however I don’t know if I ‘m doing right or wrong. What’s your thoughts?

Good work getting started, portion control and generally better food choices are both good places to start. However, you definitely need to eat more than 1000 cal/day. It's common for people to think "if eating X calories is good for weight loss, than surely eating less than X will be better/make me lose weight faster!", I know I tried to only eat 1200 when I first started too and it's just not sustainable.

If you've not already done so, go through the guided setup putting in your current stats to get your calories/macro goals. Treat these as targets as much as limits; get close to, but don't exceed your calorie goal. Pick your loss rate/deficit such that you target to lose 1% of your total body weight per week as this is typically recognized as a healthy/sustainable loss rate.

Or, from another thread about loss rates:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

Feel free to message me or add me if you want some help or have other questions and good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    InForBacon wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    myfitnesspal has stopped projecting your weight loss if you eat under 1000 calories because it is dangerous for your body to do so and they did not want to encourage that behavior, if i remember correctly.

the safest way to lose weight is to eat at least 1,000 - 1,200 calories per day.

OP is a male...1200 calories per day for a male is VLCD and should only be done under medical supervision. 1500 for a male is the bare minimum if sedentary. Most males can lose pretty easily on 2000-2300 calories per day.

Oh to be male.

You'd think...but it's all relative...
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

Oh to be male.

Strictly for purposes of being able to more easily define my arms and eat moar food.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

Oh to be male.

Seconded. If I end up divorced it will be due to my borderline obsessive use of the food scale.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Oh to be male.

Seconded. If I end up divorced it will be due to my borderline obsessive use of the food scale.

Can you imagine the divorce proceedings?
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Oh to be male.

You mean the face on the clerk typing in the reason for divorce? Or the wife trying to claim the food scale in the division of property just to mess with him?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

Oh to be male.

You mean the face on the clerk typing in the reason for divorce? Or the wife trying to claim the food scale in the division of property just to mess with him?

Yes
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Wait, why?
    :/

Your body needs a minimum amount of calories for energy to function, and a minimum amount of nutrition for health. As a rough starting point (for safety and probably liability), MFP has set minimum calorie intakes for men and women - MFP won't recommend lower numbers regardless of how you setup your profile, nor will it allow you to complete your diary unless you hit that number.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

Oh to be male.

She gets the scale, OP gets the battery