Macros

Hey all! I used a macro calculator to figure out what I should be doing but MFP says it's over the daily limit by 20'%. Any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Lower it by 20%..lol
  • hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    Lol, I understand that -- I just don't understand what my numbers should be then.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    They have to equal 100% -break that up any way you like.
  • cmriverside
    What are the numbers you're trying to use?
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Whats your goal? Did you dial the numbers in correctly on MFP? They really are just estimated #s
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Macro calculators usually use your activity (including exercise) in their numbers. MFP doesn't, and instead adds those calories when you exercise. Use the numbers from the macro calculator and don't eat back exercise or use MFP's and do. Shouldn't be that different.
  • hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    Well I tried two different calculators and they said:
    130g carbs
    178g protein
    47g fat

So to get it to equal 100% on MFP I just set it to:
    90g carbs
    150g protein
    27g fat

Does that seem right?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    130g carbs
    178g protein
    47g fat

90g carbs
    150g protein
    27g fat

Does that seem right?

I suggest more fat, lower protein, carbs and both. 27 grams of fat is way too low
  • cmriverside
    I agree with Eric.

holly, why don't you just use the default macros in MFP? Or dial back the carbs a bit if that's your groove, but the defaults work fine 50C/30F/20P
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    130g carbs
    178g protein
    47g fat

90g carbs
    150g protein
    27g fat

Does that seem right?

Protein seems unnecessarily high.

If you want to use a calculator, I'd use their numbers and not adjust it for MFP. Then don't eat back exercise calories, as that's probably the difference. (MFP is giving you 1200, the calculator is recommending what is likely a better number for you given actual activity.)

That said, I'm going to question that calculator, because, like I said, that protein number is high. There's some degree of bro science that pushes high protein (like 1 g/lb when you are trying to lose) and that's not necessary. I've seen nothing suggesting you need more than around .65-.85 g per lb of GOAL weight (or current weight if it is in the healthy range already). I am 125 so aim for around 95-100 g.

However, if you enjoy eating those macros, they are fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hey all! I used a macro calculator to figure out what I should be doing but MFP says it's over the daily limit by 20'%. Any tips?

Thanks!

You can customize you macros in MFP to be whatever you want them to be...you're just using the default settings.

150g or 178 grams of protein in either case is way overkill and you're just going to be making expensive glucose. 27 g fat is really, really low...
  • lemurcat12
    Looks like the calculator is giving you 30% carbs, 45% protein, 25% fat. Your MFP goals (which again are 1200, whereas the calculator said 1655 -- I'd stick with that) are 30% carbs, 50% protein, 20% fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2018
    The total is different - 1203 vs 1655 calories. If you want 1655 calories, and the macro split, set up MFP to 25% fat, 45% protein, 30% carbs. But the premise is wrong, so don't do that.

First you have to set appropriate calories. Then decide if you want to track macros; if so, you'll have an idea of what it's good for, this will decide how you want to set your macros and implement the rules. More than 100 grams of protein is probably overkill. Less than 50 grams of fat is probably dangerous. Either is likely going to produce a sad, boring diet. Both is going to produce a sad, boring, expensive and difficult diet. If you want to eat low carb, you also eat high fat.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks!

You can customize you macros in MFP to be whatever you want them to be...you're just using the default settings.

150g or 178 grams of protein in either case is way overkill and you're just going to be making expensive glucose. 27 g fat is really, really low...

Macros are definitely a personal choice. Personally, I'm not a fan of the default macros; I like to have more protein and fewer carbs so I have mine set to a 40P/40F/20C split, which actually usually shakes out closer to 40P/30F/30C depending on the day. YMMV