4 day Newbie

Options
Morning all, I am new to this WOL and having difficulty hitting the suggested percentages for maximum effectiveness. Suggestion is as follows:
1260 Calories
107 g Fat
20 g Carbs
56 g Protein.

My average so far has been about:
1000 Calories
80 g Fat
35 g Carbs
70 g Protein

I can's seem to increase the fat and lower the protein without increasing the carbs, any suggestions? See picture for todays count. I can adjust as I am inputting in advance to determine where I need to make changes. Very confusing and frustrating.
7d2l5hcuk5im.jpg

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to eat at least 1200 calories per day. Effectiveness for what? Suggested by whom? Effectiveness when is comes to macros, is in ease of adherence to calorie goal. Exactly what percentage will bring maximum effectiveness, is up to you to try and test. You're already getting in a minimum of fat and protein, so you can add whatever to hit your calorie goal.
  • leisfeld
    leisfeld Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Effectiveness based on Keto site that shows I need a certain ratio. I am tracking on MyFitness but it adjusts the percentages based on intake so hard to force the 20g ratio for carbs, 50 for protein and 30g fat . Have only just started but trying to ensure I see results and am not just going thru the motions.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Need a certain ratio for what? What results are you after?

MFP increases your calorie target when you add exercise, but the percentages for each macro stays the same. This means that the amounts of all your macronutrients will increase, but at the same rate. But it doesn't necessarily mean that you need more fat and protein.

Percentage and gram is not the same, and it's especially important to be aware of here because fat has 9 calories per gram and protein and carbs each have 4 calories per gram.
  • tbrann1971
    tbrann1971 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I am new here as well, good luck to you.
  • leisfeld
    leisfeld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Need a certain ratio for what? What results are you after?

MFP increases your calorie target when you add exercise, but the percentages for each macro stays the same. This means that the amounts of all your macronutrients will increase, but at the same rate. But it doesn't necessarily mean that you need more fat and protein.

Percentage and gram is not the same, and it's especially important to be aware of here because fat has 9 calories per gram and protein and carbs each have 4 calories per gram.

I'm still confused. Don't know how to increase my calories and protein without increasing the carbs? I am trying to get to 20g of carbs per day. I realize net carbs are carbs - fiber hence why I am also tracking the fiber but not sure if I am close or what. I'm not starving but wonder if I will get into Ketosis like this.
    Below is my final for the day yesterday.
    sgbxk689d5nc.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Is it an arithmetic or a practical problem? You set your goals here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals/daily_nutrition_goals The system won't allow you to set anything but 100% total, obviously. To hit the numbers, you need to know which foods are high in the respective macro nutrients, and log accordingly. If you want low carb, you eat high fat and moderate protein. That is the arithmetic and simple problem.

The practical problem is a trickier one. Because 20 grams of carbs, even net, is very difficult to make into appealing meals. You need to know what you are doing, and like high fat foods and meals.

So the question you'll want to ask (yourself), is why your goal is to enter ketosis.