4th week and I’ve gained weight

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle, not fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. You said you are using weights, so that may be what's going on. Get yourself a digital weight scale with a BMI reading. That will tell you if you are losing fat. If you are losing fat and still gaining - you are adding muscle

This is a popular fallacy. Women cannot easily add muscle. Doing everything exactly right, including heavy weight lifting and really good diet, including on-point macros, a woman can add about .25 lbs of muscle a week.

Quoting this since it's been restated at least twice by people who haven't read the thread. If the OP is building muscle at the same rate that she's losing fat, it's still because she isn't in much of a calorie deficit. Women simply don't gain 1-2 pounds of muscle a week.

We're chasing each other around, @diannethegeek. :laugh:
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle, not fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. You said you are using weights, so that may be what's going on. Get yourself a digital weight scale with a BMI reading. That will tell you if you are losing fat. If you are losing fat and still gaining - you are adding muscle

This is a popular fallacy. Women cannot easily add muscle. Doing everything exactly right, including heavy weight lifting and really good diet, including on-point macros, a woman can add about .25 lbs of muscle a week.

Quoting this since it's been restated at least twice by people who haven't read the thread. If the OP is building muscle at the same rate that she's losing fat, it's still because she isn't in much of a calorie deficit. Women simply don't gain 1-2 pounds of muscle a week.

yes - was going to repeat exactly this. no woman is going to gain muscle at a rate that would out pace fat loss - and certainly not significant muscle mass in one month.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

We're chasing each other around, @diannethegeek. :laugh:

:drinker:
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How many ounces of water are you drinking. Plenty might not be enough. Cut back on calories 50-75 a day until you start seeing a loss.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How many ounces of water are you drinking. Plenty might not be enough. Cut back on calories 50-75 a day until you start seeing a loss.
    What? A day? No. It can sometimes take 2-4 weeks to see results from any sort of change in the amount you eat to starting a new workout routine.

What she needs to do is go through the flow chart that was posted on the first page and really review if her logging is accurate. This includes how she logs exercise calories. If it is, then if she were to cut back, she should cut down 50-100 cals and stick to that for 2-4 weeks.

Not keep going down until all she's doing is pretty much sucking air in hopes of a scale drop.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Weighing made a HUGE difference over meazuing cups and spoons for me. I hadn't lost anything in 6 weeks, but when I got the scale I realized I was eating up to twice as much as I thought.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Weighing everything rather than using measuring spoons or cups will make it more accurate. Even for items that you think would be fairly standard, it can make quite a difference. I've noticed apples and bananas are always under if you use a '1 apple' type entry rather than doing it by gram.