Breakfast

Options
I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat for breakfast. I'm also having a hard time losing weight. I exercise and eat like a bird and still can't take off but five pounds. What am I doing wrong? I should also mention that I am over fifty and I know itgets harder the older you get.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can see what you are eating?
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Some things that I like for breakfast:
    Oatmeal with frozen blueberries & half a cup of chocolate soy milk
    1 piece of whole wheat toast with an egg and piece of cheese on top
    Kashi cereal with skim milk or sometimes strawberry Kefir

If you enjoy cooking at all, try skinnytaste.com for some great ideas
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Well for breakfast you can have oatmeal, eggs, cereal. And if you are eating under 1200 calories you won't lose weight so make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories a day. And make sure your water intake is at least 8 cups a day as well.
  • KeithLB
    KeithLB Posts: 6
    Options
    For me it's either Quaker Weight Control oatmeal or Fiber One Honey Squares cereal.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My breakfast since I started MFP has been :
    1 cup of coffee
    50 grams of raw unsalted peanuts
    1 glass of milk
    It has been giving me the right energy and healthiness for my workout routine :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I make myself a fruit/spinach smoothie every morning and drink it while I'm getting ready (I have a hard time sitting down and eating first thing in the morning) and then I'll make myself some oatmeal when I get to work.
    I find that eating a really good, hearty breakfast makes me make better choices throughout the day.
    Hope that you find something that works for you!!!
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat for breakfast. I'm also having a hard time losing weight. I exercise and eat like a bird and still can't take off but five pounds. What am I doing wrong?

If you want to lose weight you have to eat 4-5 times a day small portions.

You should eat complex carb with protein for breakfast. Complex carbs give you energy and protein keeps you full.

I like to eat old fashioned oatmeal with cottage cheese and fruits for breakfast.
    Eggwhites with vegetables and whole wheet tortilla great.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Whole nuts and/or nut butter are a good way to start off your day. It's pretty filling and nutritious. Maybe a sausage link and a couple of egg whites in a wheat tortilla wrap. Just some suggestions since your query is pretty open to interpretation for miscellaneous variety.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you eat more like a grown woman, and not like a bird :)

What to eat depends on your tastes. Pair some lean protein with some complex carbs add as many veggies as you like and call it a meal.
  • LeCitron
    LeCitron Posts: 71
    Options
    I absolutely adore having oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast. Studies show that eating three servings of dairy (like yogurt) is really good for losing weight, so I generally have an oatmeal packet and then a Fiber One yogurt in the morning. But be careful about which oatmeal packets you choose. Some of the flavored ones might look really tasty but are packed full of sugar and empty calories.

One of the best things you can do is make the oatmeal yourself. Something truly delicious is fix a serving of whole rolled oats, 1/3rd cup of crasins (any flavor is great but I love the blueberry ones in my oatmeal!), a dash of brown sugar, and possibly some walnuts for an added crunch. Without the walnuts the calorie count is only around 300 but afterwards you're feeling full and ready to start your day.

I'd also suggest scrambled eggs if you have time to cook them or hard boiled eggs if you don't. Eggs are packed with protein and we all know that helps us feel full longer.

If you go for cereal be careful. It's really easy to pour a bowl that's easily two or three times what a serving size should be. But if you want something cold and crunchy I'd go for any Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal. Kashi's brands of hot cereal are also really tasty. :)

And remember, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Since it's the one you start your whole day with--and it jump starts your metabolism--it's okay for you to make it a bit bigger than lunch or dinner. Just make sure you watch your calories for the rest of the day.

I hope this helps!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My staple is a 250 calorie mix of Kashi Crunch cereal, dried cherries, and cashews. I also have fresh fruit (mixed berries, a mango, peach, apple, or red grapefruit, normally) and a protein shake...EVERY MORNING, at least during the work week when I am on the road...

On weekends, I may have an overeasy egg or two and steel cut oats with dried fruit and a little bit of honey or maple syrup...

Green tea instead of coffee...
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat a small but satisfying breakfast of 3/4 cup Kashi berry cereal (no milk). It only sets me back 100 calories. I like to make up enough individual baggies for a week so I can just grab and go. I used to eat a much higher calorie breakfast and was hungry before I knew it. This takes away my appetite.
  • alyssa2222
    Options
    I enjoy a fiber one or special K bar in the morning. Not a real big breakfast person and they are just enough to get me going in the morning. 90 calories and very yummy :))
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 serving of fiber 1 bran cereal w/blueberries or bananas,with silk light vanilla soy milk ,sometimes some whey isolate protein drink,its been working for me